HybridZ

Probe tyre pyrometer recommendation

I borrowed a friends snap-on pyrometer which was a gun/laser type and it was much easier to use than my probe type one.

I just randomly found this one on eay.http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/LONGACRE-AccuTech-12-Memory-Laser-IR-Pyrometer-50614_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQ_trkparmsZ72Q3a543Q7c66Q3a2Q7c65Q3a12Q7c39Q3a1Q7c240Q3a1318QQ_trksidZp3286Q2ec0Q2em14QQhashZitem220317449942QQitemZ220317449942QQptZRaceQ5fCarQ5fParts

I'd be willing to go halfs on one if your interested.

That is really splitting hairs on 'accuracy'.

A cheap probe can be much slower to react than a cheap I/R, the key is taking the temps as quickly as possible after each run.

While a multiple probe unit can measure across the tread at a predetermined interval and record/display the temps for an instantaneous readout, the same general impression can be had by sweeping with the I/R gun as well.

How 'serious' are you to need Hundreth of a degree acuracy?

That is really splitting hairs on 'accuracy'.

A cheap probe can be much slower to react than a cheap I/R, the key is taking the temps as quickly as possible after each run.

Eh, if you figure the outer layer is exposed to the air during a cool down lap, I think the probe really is the way to go. This coming from a guy who has used an IR up to this point...

Tony,

I'm only going by what I've read, both here and other places. E.g. http://forums.hybridz.org/showpost.php?p=540669&postcount=9

I think as long as you are consistent and methodical in your measurements, value can be gained irrespective. I.e. measure from the same side to side and the tyres in the same order each and every time.

I was more wondering on people's experiences with different versions.

E.g. This one: http://www.check-it-electronics.com/chec0316digt.html quotes 15 second response times.

Can't find any specs on the Longacre one.

Dave

I use both. The probe type gives true indication of tread temps and is the most useful and accurate when setting up a car for a specific track. Once I have a track setup logged, I use the IR temp sensor to quickly verify the setup on a return visit to the same track. The IR sensors are also helpful in diagnosing brake problems, finding dead cylinders, or checking trans and diff temps.

So, you need both :-)

I use both. The probe type gives true indication of tread temps and is the most useful and accurate when setting up a car for a specific track. Once I have a track setup logged, I use the IR temp sensor to quickly verify the setup on a return visit to the same track. The IR sensors are also helpful in diagnosing brake problems, finding dead cylinders, or checking trans and diff temps.

So, you need both :-)

Core tire temp is a better indicator. an IR will not give you core temp, only surface. As JohnC said, both are useful depending what you are doing. You are usually looking for a gradient from inside of the tire to the outside and a delta of 20 degree's or so.

I use both and have the memory setup in Johns first link for tires.

YMMV

I've been using a basic Longacre probe one this year. I find it difficult to figure out. First the probe end is not attached to the handle so it falls out ... need to glue it in. More than that though is to judge when to take the reading. The temp spikes then settles back down maybe 10 degrees after a second or two. I'm not sure why it would do this but it does. Do you try to catch the peak or take the stabilized reading?

Cameron

quote: " Do you try to catch the peak or take the stabilized reading?"

I'm no expert at set up or tire temp. readings and I've only been using my probe for one season, but I'm more concerned with the temperature variation from inside, center and outside readings, than I am with the actual temperature reading.

The longacre website offers some tips on how to go about using their probe pyros

http://www.longacreracing.com/articles/art.asp?artid=16

They recommend you stick the probe into the tyre in a few places prior to taking the first reading in order to pre-heat the probe and get more consistent/repeatable readings. Makes sense.

Thanks guys, I guess I'll be getting the budget longacre one. :) Unless someone has one for sale they no longer want?

Dave