HybridZ

T5 vs. FS5W71B

CU Zcar

I've heard that being rough with both a T5 and the Nissan transmission behind a L28ET can eat transmissions, so I was wondering if anything is really gained by going to the trouble to get the T5 in there. I am looking at an 83 ZXT as a donor car for my 78 Z, and it should have the T5, but if it's just going to wear out like the Nissan trannies (which I have three of ;) ) I'm not sure I want to go to the trouble to have a driveshaft made. Plus, I have heard plenty about the T5 from my 5.0 Mustang friends bonk.gif hehe

The biggest problem with the T5 is people shifting into 3rd gear to hard, and doing the same in 4th. 4th gear can be "over extended" which causes these little pieces of metal to get spit out into the bottom of the trans. They go back in, but you have to take it apart.

If you over extend 4th gear and you are lucky, third and fourth just "crunch" when you shift. If you are unlucky, your stay stuck in 4th gear.

As a side not from personal experience, I have the T5, and for the most part I like it. I had some trouble at the drag strip last time hitting 5th gear in a hurry, although I don't think the tranny suffered any ill results from it.

I have heard differing opinions on whether or not the Jap trans can handle the power of a stout turbo L6. MY feeling is kind of like this. If Nissan thought their transmission was sturdy enough to go behind the engine, they would have put it there. Since they chose not to, I am assuming that it is better to run the T5.

Just get a T5 aftermarket shifter with shift stops, and go with it.

Also, run good fluid, and don't speed shift it and it should last a long time.

Originally posted by Lockjaw:

Also, run good fluid, and don't speed shift it and it should last a long time.

:D Don't speed shift it, he says :D

That's the only way to keep the boost up. Urban legend has it that a BOV keeps the turbo spooled between throttle-lifted shifts, but now that I have one, I am finding out that is not true. Very little I find now is more irritating than re-building boost after a rush towards redline. AMAF, I think it really looks silly to see the imports (high boost turbo cars) hopping down the strip like little grasshoppers :rolleyes:

It's fortunate that trannies that fit the L28 are at least cheap to replace if broken.

I haven't put my T5 in yet, but I bought a Hurst Competition plus shifter for an 83-86 Mustang. It is SO much better than the POS Nissan T5 shifter, and it has adjustable stops so you don't overextend the internal shifter mechanism. I'll probably have to mod the bolt on handle after it's in the car, but that will be gravy compared to modding the crossmember and having the driveshaft changed.

Go with the T5, I am running it in my car and it has lasted very well and I have abused it some. The key for the tranny is two things, get the engine to stop moving under heavy loads. You can do this with a torque strap, or go solid engine mounts. and two, get the hurst shifter. You will not be able to mess up the shifter with the built in stops, and the syncro will not try to engauge to far, and that is a problem with the stock shifter. The biggest problem I have with my T5 is shifting at 7000 rpm. The tranny does very well up to about 6900 rpm, but when you get to the 7K mark it will not go into second gear. This is true for the newer world class T5 tranny also. I have put a 450 Hp engine to this tranny and it has not broken yet, but I dont do a 6K clutch drop off the line either, and I am not running slicks.

• 7 years later...

Nissan 5 speeds.

I was running a well built L28, 9.5:1 comp, stage 2 cam, ported intake and head, 6 to 1 header, aftermarket ignition and a cold air filter setup.

The transmission was stuck in 3rd gear and the 5th gear retention screw had begun to back off.

$1500 later, the trans works...but makes humming noises intermittently.

Currently looking for a T5 as I have upgraded to L28ET.

In everything I've heard from Mustang owners (and 84-86 z31 turbo owners) torque and power shifting is what kills the BW T5. I think it will easily handle a stock or moderately modified L28et. But as a previous poster suggested, get an 83-04 Mustang t45/t5 v8 short shifter with adjustable shift stops. Much better for the transmission and for you.

Another plus is that the T5's are easy to rebuild with a kit from 5speeds.com or Hanlon.

• 2 weeks later...