HybridZ

New Daily Driver Decision Help

zero

Hey guys,

Right now I am halfway through my senior year of college and I have a good job lined up. As much as I love my Z, I can't show up to work in an unmuffled car and smell like exhaust when i get there so I will need to get a car for this job. I am trying to decide between a few cars now. I would appreciate any input on these cars and any suggestions for new ones. My basic requirements are RWD/AWD, somewhat powerful, good looking, unique if possible. In the 30-35k range if new or under 25 if used. Right now I'm looking these.

370z

Great looking car but to get it equipped the way i want it would be 40k

g35 coupe

relatively inexpensive now but you see them all the time

gto

not too common, very fast, but not the best looking things in the world

early nsx

I know, kind of a stupid idea but they're in the range and tempting

e46 m3

surprisingly in the range. Great cars

e39 m5

also surprisingly in the range. a little big for my taste now though

supra

in the range, barely, considering their age

rx7

great but sort of wary of the rotary stuff on a dd

z32 twin turbo

good looking but a bit dated now

evo/sti

good performance but a bit boy racer for a dd

Thanks Guys

Car is a projection of yourself....Now if we all had money, this would become the main concern.

Depending on what kind of job you have lined up, what company, your needs, etc...will dictate the car you want. Sports, Luxury, high end...

I say M3, M5, g35 coupe. Remember to save for a house :lol:!!!

Dayz

You need to try some... They will all feel different in your list.

I had an Evo 8 as a DD, it was a blast everyday. She was lightly modded (285whp: TBE, MBC, Fuel pump, BOV and a good custom tune).

The best thing about this car was the way it handles, grip and steering feeling on curvy roads were a blast. Boost also become my addition :burnout: 22psi everyday!

There's also a very nice Evo community that makes the car even more enjoyable... and if you don't like the look with the wings, you can always remove it easily.

I also had the opportunity to have a M3 e46 for few days. Car is great but handling is "softer" than the Evo. Steering feel was not as good. Probably better for a DD for most people but not for me.

Same with 350z, car was nice but feels heavy and feelings were not so good. Sound and RWD make it fun though.

If you're looking for nice handling cars, Rx7 and NSX seem to be nice but I've never tried those.

You definitely need to try some to see what you'd like better ;)

I would personnaly go with an used Evo IX MR or a new Evo X GSR.

Im going to have to go with the NSX. I know it isnt to practical but my friend has one and if you dont need tons of cargo room they are actually rather roomie on the inside. Id rather drive long distance in his nsx than my z. Thats mainly due to the ac though. They are fun cars though.

none. Buy an economical car like a corolla or better yet a small SUV type of vehicle that gets good mpg. You'll need a big vehicle eventually. You already have a man toy, your Z, so be smart and get a vehicle that'll save you money in the long run.

Making good money doesn't matter if you spend more than you need to. Not saying thats the case but that's what I would do in your position. Actually I will be in your position next year when I graduate college and Im looking into buying a small good mpg truck.

Just my 2 cents...

My list

1. G35 - Its classy, RWD and the VQ sounds soo good in it.

2. 3-Series/M3 still classy, but fun. Almost tied for first

3. Red Line Skye? I've been thinking about one for a DD when I get out of school. Probably good on gas and looks cool. And they'll be cheap after GM tanks :)

none. Buy an economical car like a corolla or better yet a small SUV type of vehicle that gets good mpg. You'll need a big vehicle eventually. You already have a man toy, your Z, so be smart and get a vehicle that'll save you money in the long run.

Making good money doesn't matter if you spend more than you need to. Not saying thats the case but that's what I would do in your position. Actually I will be in your position next year when I graduate college and Im looking into buying a small good mpg truck.

Just my 2 cents...

You've got a point IMO ;) maybe a AWD for all year around rather than a RWD for NJ.

none. Buy an economical car like a corolla or better yet a small SUV type of vehicle that gets good mpg. You'll need a big vehicle eventually. You already have a man toy, your Z, so be smart and get a vehicle that'll save you money in the long run

I just noticed this post and have two points to make:

1. This "SUV" stuff is crazy talk unless it is regarding a tow vehicle.

2. You can never have enough man toys, let alone enough Z's.

Scratch the 350z, g35, and 370z they are totally impractical as they have no luggage space. It is the worst thing about the cars, 370z has much better space but 350z is terrible.

I think the e46 m3 is a great choice, lots of space (rear seat folds down), fast, handles good.. heck of a lot of car for the money.....however don't be surprised at the maintenance bills and how much OEM parts cost, you obviously can do your own work so I wouldn't be too worried about that. I had a e46 330ci and loved it...just got boring having only that car to drive at school, did get 30mpg on the hwy though.

I would prolly listen to the SUV guys though, I love X5's and they are in your price range, the v8 sport package ones are pretty sick looking as well. I think you need at least a truck or suv if you ever need to two the z or make parts runs to the junkyard etc etc etc. I alway have to borrow my parents SUV or the company truck whenever I get anything of any size or something thats dirty.

Scratch the 350z, g35, and 370z they are totally impractical as they have no luggage space. It is the worst thing about the cars, 370z has much better space but 350z is terrible.

I think what the 370Z gained in luggage space by repositioning the rear strut bar to directly behind the seats, it lost in cutting inches off the wheelbase and by having a conventional gas tank compared to the 350Z's saddle tank.

The 370Z has 6.9 cubic feet of storage space.

The 350Z has 6.8 cubic feet of storage space (for the coupe, not roadster)

...When I had my 350Z I had to travel only with duffel bags so I could cram them in under the strut bar. Oh well, I learned to live with it as the car was too fun to drive. Getting 4 new tires put on and taken to the tire place was a PITA though since I could only take 2 at a time.

I just noticed this post and have two points to make:

1. This "SUV" stuff is crazy talk unless it is regarding a tow vehicle.

2. You can never have enough man toys, let alone enough Z's.

Until you have children on the way and realize you're dead broke and have no vehicle to lug around your family. Sure you can put them into a sports car but talk about being un-sporty having a baby seat strapped in the back you're man toy.

Thanks for the suggestions guys. As far as a bigger car than an m3, if I need to move things I can borrow the parents car, as I won't be that far away. The Z is a good man toy, but its gonna require a ton of downtime to become respectable.

I am not planning on having kids any time soon and so I figure this is one of two times I'm gonna be able to have an impractical car. From now until kids, and then when im making enough money to have kids and a silly car. I want to take advantage of this time while I have it. I mean at this point im alternating between the Z and a miata so I'm already good at packing efficiently

I like the S4 suggestion as well. I will look into them. I also like the idea of de-winging an evo or sti.

Thanks for the help guys.

Being that I just graduated a yr or so ago....if you have any school loans pay them FIRST. I make decent money and I bought a 99 mazda 626 and have been paying down all my debt like a mad man for the past year. Like it was stated, it makes no sense to make good money and piss it all away in a car payment. A friend of mine was in your same situation...job lined up...bought a brand new Evo MR and was paying $500+ a month and hates the car now..he is 25 and making 70k+. After the "joy" of having your brand new toy...you realize how much of a waste of money it is.

Buy something that is nice to drive...save your money.....and make sure your job will be there before you start blowing cash. Honestly over 20k on a car right now would not be a smart move imo.