HybridZ

Full on resto mod of a 240Z

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

Oh. Gotcha. No, I definitely did not plan to sell. It's a long hard story, but essentially I was making a LOT of money for a few years, and what I was spending on cars wasn't really making a dent in it. I put it in an investment that went sour, as in 7 figures turned into zero - nil - in a matter of 6 months. So then I started another company, which always takes a lot of capital and time, and needed to sell one of my cars. I sold my highly built 911 track car because I had to finish the Z. It wasn't going to be worth anything unfinished. So many monies later, it is finished. I miss having a track car. The Z would be incredible, but it's just too nice. I put my 911 into a tire wall once, and that hurt. To do that to the Z would break my heart. So while it's still perfect, I have it now for sale. I'll put some of the money into building a car around a new LS3 driveline that I have, and keep the rest to live off of until the new business sprouts its wings as it is already starting to.

That's the full, real story. I hate to sell it. I love to sit and stare at it. I adore this car. But I NEED to go to the track.

Yep, that was it, seemed like the start of a good joke. After putting all of the time and money into the car and just barely getting it to run it seemed impossible that he'd try and sell it. Exaggeration can be used to great effect in comedy, but apparently it wasn't the case on this one. Perhaps this is why I don't play poker, can't spot a true bluff. Sorry to see that the car really is on the block and up for sale.

I miss having a track car. The Z would be incredible, but it's just too nice. I put my 911 into a tire wall once, and that hurt. To do that to the Z would break my heart.

For what it's worth (because I am aware that you're not seeking anyone's approval in your decision to sell it), I think you're making the right choice.

Years ago, I bought an expensive sports car and I started doing time trials with it. (Well, the car was very expensive to me; to others, it was a drop in the bucket...) After a couple of years, I bought a "cheap" Spec Racer and I had an absolute blast with it! It got to the point that I didn't enjoy tracking my sports car and in fact, during my last competition, I was downright miserable (even tho I won). I kept thinking, "If I wad this into a wall during my last race, I am going to have deep psychological scars for the rest of my life..."

The lesson I learned was that to enjoy a track car, you cannot be emotionally attached to it.

In fact, I entered that Spec Racer in endurance races and recruited friends to be my co-drivers. In a few races, they had serious contact resulting in DNF's -- we nicknamed the Spec Racer the "BMW magnet" because it always seemed to be rookie BMW racers who knocked us out. The point is that I could laugh and joke about it with them and I still enjoyed the weekend. Then I compare that to the weekend I got a rock chip in my "nice" car and how depressed I was (even tho the insurance company paid out to fix it).

I wish you the best of luck for success in your new business venture and with the sale of your Z. And I hope to see you at the track soon.

The car is beautiful! It's sad that you put all that money into the car and have to turn around and sell it, Although I do understand the circumstances. Is there any chance I might get to see the car before you sell it? I would love to see such craftsmanship up close!

The car is beautiful! It's sad that you put all that money into the car and have to turn around and sell it, Although I do understand the circumstances. Is there any chance I might get to see the car before you sell it? I would love to see such craftsmanship up close!

It's going to be at European Auto Garage this Saturday for the big Z car show. You gotta come!

So, when you sell it, you're going to tell them to sign up here, right?

Really sorry it's going that way though. Best of luck on your next project.

I'll sure tell them! However, I'm betting that it either goes to an Asian guy in Cali or over to Bahrain/Dubai. Just my betting self talking here. We'll all see. I'm actually working on a lead in Bahrain now.

I'll sure tell them! However, I'm betting that it either goes to an Asian guy in Cali or over to Bahrain/Dubai. Just my betting self talking here. We'll all see. I'm actually working on a lead in Bahrain now.

My last Z was shipped over to Bahrain! They like their Z cars :lol:

Sorry to hear you are moving on, I definitely hope it goes to good hands. I agree with rturbo, whoever buys it should have to keep in touch! Watching your build and seeing the finished product is inspiring, and i would hate to see this car disappear forever. It's kind of a living legend.