HybridZ

Full on resto mod of a 240Z

Hey man great project so far. Very inspiring. I'm currently doing a similar project. I have a question for you. How did you strip down to bare metal and what did you seal/prime with afterwards? Rust is a big problem where I live(Island). So far the frame is pretty clean with one or two small rust areas but I'm hearing conflicting ideas about whether to go down to bare metal and get rid of the factory protected coatings that for the most part look pretty decent, or just sand a bit, put some acid on the rust and paint over. I'm currently planning on doing this and then priming with a nice Epoxy primer...the one here to be specific...

http://southernpolyurethanes.com/Product%20lines.htm

I had initially considered POR-15 but I'm seeing alot of mixed reviews about it. Your input would be appreciated since you have already crossed this bridge.

Thanks!

• 1 month later...

Guys -

Sorry it's been so long (you have no idea how sorry I am!). It's just been slow-going on the car lately.

I drove up to Miller Brothers Hot Rod Barn, the guys building the car, this past weekend. My knees went weak when I saw it, as always! National Speed did an AMAZING job on the fabrication and tuning of the engine. Until then, I had only seen the pics/videos that I'd posted here. We are a bit over a month away from completion now. I can't wait.

There's something I had horribly wrong earlier in the thread that I need to correct.

I had said that Les Cannaday (Classic Datsun) was charging me $2400 for my steering wheel restoration. I truly thought this was correct.

I saw the wheel for the first time this weekend. It's gorgeous, and worth every penny of that $2400 in my book. But he only charged me $400. It's all he ever was going to charge me. I don't know where I got the crazy number, but I needed to clear that up. He's awesome to work with, and in my book, should charge a lot more for his stuff!

I can't believe I didn't take a pic of it. It's not in the car now, as that'll be the last thing to go in.

I can't wait. Did I say that already?

Guys -

Sorry it's been so long (you have no idea how sorry I am!). It's just been slow-going on the car lately.

I drove up to Miller Brothers Hot Rod Barn, the guys building the car, this past weekend. My knees went weak when I saw it, as always! National Speed did an AMAZING job on the fabrication and tuning of the engine. Until then, I had only seen the pics/videos that I'd posted here. We are a bit over a month away from completion now. I can't wait.

There's something I had horribly wrong earlier in the thread that I need to correct.

I had said that Les Cannaday (Classic Datsun) was charging me $2400 for my steering wheel restoration. I truly thought this was correct.

I saw the wheel for the first time this weekend. It's gorgeous, and worth every penny of that $2400 in my book. But he only charged me $400. It's all he ever was going to charge me. I don't know where I got the crazy number, but I needed to clear that up. He's awesome to work with, and in my book, should charge a lot more for his stuff!

I can't believe I didn't take a pic of it. It's not in the car now, as that'll be the last thing to go in.

I can't wait. Did I say that already?

Thanks for clearing up the steering wheel restro price...I always enjoy doing business with Les. Love your project, I like that you do not cut corners and are willing to pay top price to do it right the first time.

It really testifies to your character that you would come across this data, and post a correction of something you said almost 2 years ago that was mistaken. Thanks for being so up front with us!! ($400 really isn't that out there at all!! You can easily spend that on an aftermarket steering wheel, so for a pristine OEM??? I'm with you, that steering wheel is really one of the pieces it is nice to have Original. Later cars (like my 280) you can take it or leave it, but the 240... Can't wait to see the pics!)

Wow...I followed your build thread over on ImportsNC and I loved it. You have a great car and the build has been the final straw in my deciding whether or not I wanted to buy a Z. Obviously, since I am on this site (from your recommendation), I have chosen to buy/build one. :D

I absolutely cannot wait to see the very final product all assembled and shiny.

- Rick

• 5 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Well fellas, the wait is about over. I'll be picking up the car in a few days. At that time, we're going to be taking a ton of pics, and I'll post them on here, along with video.

I can't wait. After nearly 3 years, she's almost done.

100_1636.jpg

100_1655.jpg

• Like 1

Looking bitchen, I am excited for you. It brings back memories. Exactly one year ago this weekend my 240Z was finished. It was put on a trailer and we did a midnight run the length of California to the MSA show. Enjoy the Ride.

Thanks everyone. I can't wait to see her and drive her. Just three more days! After more than 1000 days, 3 more to go!

Yes, my car stable has dwindled dramatically. The economy has hit me, but instead of keeping one of the 3 (other) Audis (still kept one) or the supercharged 911, I kept the Z. Thing is, it's been restored so well, and I'm now broke, that I'm going to be afraid to drive it hard! At first, at least!

Thanks everyone. I can't wait to see her and drive her. Just three more days! After more than 1000 days, 3 more to go!

Yes, my car stable has dwindled dramatically. The economy has hit me, but instead of keeping one of the 3 (other) Audis (still kept one) or the supercharged 911, I kept the Z. Thing is, it's been restored so well, and I'm now broke, that I'm going to be afraid to drive it hard! At first, at least!

You need to bring this hoe out to Cali so we can all drool over it.

Wow... as I watched this build over the months, I was like... how can even this guy afford this right now in the economy! (no surprise you have some funds backing you) Guess it's as hard on you as it is on the lower-budget guys around here too, like me.

Props for the inspiration, as I'm doing as much as I can in the spirit of what you are doing, but without much of the meticulousness and without the ability of outside labor due to cost (and my intense curiosity and desire to get my hands as dirty as possible in it).

The end result is incredible, and your engine bay is designed so, so well... I'll only be able to get pieces of that in the end result, but you surely have set a solid standard to walk toward for others.

Yeah, the car is looking amazing, Can't wait to see the end result pictures. I've been following it your threads a long time and it's awesome to see it almost done. It looks so good. Now how do you get it insured for what you've got into it is my big question now. I mean it's one of a kind, basically perfect.

Phar