HybridZ

Full on resto mod of a 240Z

This is a rediculouse build i mean you have done every thing possible you must have a ton wraped up in that thing, it i had the money i would do the same thing tho lol,excepti wouold have used rb26dett. keep on going man good work

Thanks everyone! I can't believe it's actually a "Desktop" car! I've had so many cars of other people as my desktop. To think mine is on someone elses... wild!

iCapture - I'm 31. I've worked haaard, as I'm sure we all have. But things have gone my way more often than not. I've definitely lost a lot, but I've done fine and learned some big lessons along the way. I am a partner in a Business Advisory company, and I'm President of Strategic Marketing. Inventors, small business owners, physicians, etc will bring us in and either pay a fee or give us equity in their businesses to turn them around and make them more profitable (or profitable at all), so it's a win-win arrangement. My partners are all very solid businessmen. I'm the dreamer. I help people think outside of the box to find a solution that no one else has thought of yet. That's what I do.

I also write occasionally for Excellence Magazine, which is a Porsche rag. I'm actually doing another test next week in Northern Cali. Should be cool.

jake - I expected that I'd do the RB26DETT, but when I realized how much I could get out of the much lighter, much less finicky, and much more aftermarket supported SR20DET, why would ANYONE go with the RB? Makes no sense to me. After driving my car, which put down 434 at the rear wheels on pump gas and a mild tune, I can't imagine it making sense to have more... especially with having to put a substantial amount of weight in the nose.

It never was a money decision. It's that I am not the kind of guy to do something just because it's cool. It's gotta make sense. I'm totally, 110% convinced that any more than this engine would be less fun and just not what I was going for. BUT, we each have our own opinions, and I definitely respect all those who have put RBs in their cars. It just made no sense to me whatsoever.

For a continual following of the Z, if you're at all interested, (and also if you want to see more of what I do for work, since it involves NFL pros, writing for a Porsche mag, car mod shops, the DOE, and everything in between) it might be easier for you to go to my website at http://www.jaredcullop.com/car-life/. This Z is on quite a few forums now. I will definitely post here as much as I always have, but I'll be posting on my site throughout my lifetime with that Z and more often. If you like, you can click the RSS feed for this page (Car Life RSS) on the right of the screen and just get an email when there's a post. From magazine shoots to car shows to blown bulbs and my exhaust leaks, I'll be sharing my life with the car on this URL.

It's just easier. I'm also a web developer and I've got an app for my iPhone to make updating the site easy, even while behind the wheel! (At a stop light, of course!)

Jared

jake - I expected that I'd do the RB26DETT, but when I realized how much I could get out of the much lighter, much less finicky, and much more aftermarket supported SR20DET, why would ANYONE go with the RB? Makes no sense to me. After driving my car, which put down 434 at the rear wheels on pump gas and a mild tune, I can't imagine it making sense to have more... especially with having to put a substantial amount of weight in the nose.

Personally, just because I'm a little OCD, I don't like how the LS, SR, KA, etc. engines don't fill up the engine bay. The RB does, and looks right at home. Also, personally, I prefer the sound of the RB over the SR. I think I6s are some of the best sounding engines, period. I understand these are both about form, but I prefer form AND function.

BTW, have you weighed your car? I am curious as to how much it weighs, and the F/R percents/bias.

hey I'm glad to hear it got you home well and in one piece with a huge smile on your face. it's pretty amazing. I hope I'll get to see it in person sometime, but unless you make it to New Mexico it's not likely. I'll be following your sites. I love how it turned out, and I think the SR was a good choice. I'm really impressed at what you said Nat Speed did for you. That's worth a ton to me, wish they were close by too. I'll be upgrading to AZ coils at somepoint.

Again Jared, very nice Z and thank you sooo much for sharing your build with us.

Phar

This is the most incredible build I've seen in a 240z ever. I have been reading the entire thing with my notebook and saving your ideas and pictures. I am starting a build on a 240z debating over the sr20det or the rb25det. I have always been a huge fan of sr20's and initially thought it would be the best pair to a light car like the 240. Ive been doing my research and your build is the best inspiration ive had so far. Now after being sold on builing using an r33 front clip i think im going to consider ordering an sr again lol. way to go man. your my hero.

Hey great car -I think you just raised the bar on what the definition of resto-mod means. I scanned through most of this tread (19 pages) and did not see the specific rim and offset and tire size that you are using, could you share. Sorry if it is posted in there and I missed it.

Hey guys,

Thanks so much, again, for the kindness. I'll be posting up vids and such next week once I get everything just right. I've lost some time on it, as I've been gone a week to do a big road test on 3 new Porsches for Excellence magazine. Not a bad excuse, right?

I also got to have dinner (2nd time) with Peter Brock. Last time I hang out with him was October of 2008, and I showed him all that was done on the car at that point. This time, I got to show him all the pics of the completed car. I took one to Kinkos to print as a poster, and he signed it "Bitchin! Peter Brock". I took it to get framed today. That's gonna be sweet hanging in my office!

As for the wheel and tire offsets, I'll have to get those tomorrow, as the car isn't here at my house. However, the offsets won't apply totally to someone without the same suspension as me, I don't believe.

Yall have a good night.

Jared

www.jaredcullop.com

Hey guys,

Thanks so much, again, for the kindness. I'll be posting up vids and such next week once I get everything just right. I've lost some time on it, as I've been gone a week to do a big road test on 3 new Porsches for Excellence magazine. Not a bad excuse, right?

I also got to have dinner (2nd time) with Peter Brock. Last time I hang out with him was October of 2008, and I showed him all that was done on the car at that point. This time, I got to show him all the pics of the completed car. I took one to Kinkos to print as a poster, and he signed it "Bitchin! Peter Brock". I took it to get framed today. That's gonna be sweet hanging in my office!

As for the wheel and tire offsets, I'll have to get those tomorrow, as the car isn't here at my house. However, the offsets won't apply totally to someone without the same suspension as me, I don't believe.

Yall have a good night.

Jared

www.jaredcullop.com

First off, your car is beautiful... A complete opposite of my car, as I did my resto/conversion on about 4 grand and it shows.

Second, I thought Peter Brock died in 2006, is this the same guy? Forgive my ignorance.

Memorial Day 2010 over in Kuwait. I started thinking of my Z back home and came across this post. Its took about 3 1/2 hours to read, watch the videos and see the other links. This car is truly an accomplishment. You have hit my American dream- which is having a passion and getting it done- but as for car guys no matter how far the car gets, it will never be done. Tons of inspiration and ideas from reading this post. Thank you for taking the time to post everything online. Now I just can't wait to get home and drive my baby.

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

jared,

It was a pleasure meeting you and talking cars. You are definitely a busy man and I'm glad you made it to the show. The car was very impressive in person, but i still voted for my car for the peoples choice B)

I hope you make it to some more Z shows and take me for a ride, or if your ever in indianapolis maybe you can swing by with your ride-I hope you'll drive everywhere!