HybridZ

Pontiac is DEAD!!!

dsommer

I 2nd hummer. They only had ONE car in that line.

Well who cares? If you really wanted a pontiac, then just import a holden. Its the same freaking thing. And I don't think that they will actually kill the solstice. They'll most likely rebadge it to something else. Kinda like how they did with the Neon (I know not GM :P). They already sell it in other markets under different names

BTW I think the Saturn Sky looks a lot better than the Solstice. In korea the Sky is sold as a daewoo o_O. GX2 to be more precise.

Carscoop_Daewoo_GX2_18.jpg

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

What is all the "Hummer" hate? Are you all just jealous Jeep Guy?

GM should keep the Hummer - it's our main military ground transport, we'll need spares and replacements well into the future.

My first car was a 57 Pontiac Star Chief Convertible. Loved the Pontiacs up to about 62 and the GTO's up to about 67... past that they never offered anything I wanted. Today, I'd love to have a 61 Cat. Coupe or Bonne Conv.

I really liked the original Solstice Coupe concept -it needed a lot of fine tuning, but the concept was good. The concept was for a light weight, sports coupe with great performance and entry level pricing. They never delivered that... and when the finally did offer a coupe - it was an abortion. {a roadster with a phony fastback added}. Damn shame.....

20 years from now however, it would be really neat to have a Bright Yellow Solstice. The styling on sky is a little to "today" and not really as unique as the Solstice.

Pontiac made a couple beautiful Station Wagon's in 57/58...

Saturn - is viable if it was not burdened by GM's problems.

Who Cares - most likely the people that bought new Pontiacs in the last two years - who will see the resale value of their cars drop like a rock..

Who Cares - if GM goes bust - who do you think is responsible for the Employee Retirement Payments? I'll give you a hint - they are insured by Uncle Sam... so get your wallet out again.

FWIW,

Carl B.

What is all the "Hummer" hate? Are you all just jealous Jeep Guy?

GM should keep the Hummer - it's our main military ground transport, we'll need spares and replacements well into the future.

Who Cares - most likely the people that bought new Pontiacs in the last two years - who will see the resale value of their cars drop like a rock..

Who Cares - if GM goes bust - who do you think is responsible for the Employee Retirement Payments? I'll give you a hint - they are insured by Uncle Sam... so get your wallet out again.

FWIW,

Carl B.

The military ground transport "Humvee" and the consumer "Hummer" have NOTHING in common besides the similar body styling and the H1.

The H2 was basically a Tahoe and the H3 is basically a GMC Canyon.

1. Who cares- Obama has insured that GM's warranty work will be covered.

2. Who cares- This about pontiac going bust, not ALL OF GM. Employees at the factory aren't separated by brand labels. The solstice and sky are made in the same freakin plant.

i was in sydney last summer for 2 weeks and was checking out the holden pick-up.basically just the car with a bed on it.it really reminded me of the old chevy el camino with lsx power -complete with the 6 speed manual trans.you can buy those with no box and a bare rear chassis-there were alot of them around with aluminum commercial beds on them.a very fast dirt bike hauler.there were very few american style pick-up trucks there-itwas either buy a holden or a ford -like a ford ranchero.or go to a commercial 1.5 ton truck like a isuzu on nissan mini cab over.2004 to 2006 gto is on my short list of newer cars i would like to have-if i could afford 1

Edited by randy 77zt
spelling

A few months ago I was in Melbourne, Australia. RWD Holdens where everywhere... coupes, utes, and sedans. None were particularly beautiful, but the performance was great for what's really intended as basic transportation. My main data point was riding in a colleague's 4.0L I6 ute.

GM's overseas brands are mostly higher-quality, higher-style and better performance than what we get in the US. This holds for Vauxhall (England), Opel (Germany, continental Europe) and Holden. I've driven many rental cars on business trips to Europe, and none were dissappointments. All were superior to Cavalier/Malibu types of vehicles on US rental car lots. A good example was the Opel Vectra GTS, which is only a FWD 2.3 I4, but easily held 220 km/h without groans or scary manners.

GM would do better by reorganizing its American operations on the basis of Opel and Holden!

I do like a few Pontiac's, and own an 03 Grand Am GT which has been pretty good other then having to re-seal the intake manifold due to water mixing with the oil (which is such a common problem fel-pro makes a "fix it" kit-but GM would not cover the repair). My biggest problem is I dont plan on selling it anytime soon, and I foresee problems getting parts for it in the future and my re-sale value is gonna tank, its already only worth like 5,000 as a trade in. Its hard to get rid of a car that not supported anymore. I agree with cutting Hummer or GMC, I like GMC trucks, but they are just upgraded Chevys, and with our new "green" outlook, im surprised the Prez. kept a big tank like Hummer on the road. I dont know anyone who could buy (or afford the gas) for one right now. And im not a hater, I was in the military for over 10 years, and have a few miles both behind the wheel and as a passenger in a REAL Hummer and have allot of respect for them. But the 30ish bimbo with the little yipe dog in her purse and the big glasses and hubbys gas card just knows she wants to be like her friend that has one. Let her have the trade-in problems.

Sad day, Pontiac is going to be killed off.

Actually its a great day. Its about time GM realizes there can only be one US division if they plan to pull their asses out of debt. Pontiac will be back. SS models will be back, etc etc etc.

No need to be "sad".

Pontiac died because they went from this:

Pontiac.Gto.Judge_1.jpg

to this:

2005.pontiac.aztek.30681-396x249.jpg

The company had brilliant engineers and talent and over the decades got more and more diluted with less than mediocre products, hence bringing in the Australian cars to "try" and save them as well as rebadged Chevys. GM had to be operating in a bubble if they did not know this day would come.

Yasin