HybridZ

When do you stop tuning?

cygnusx1

:mrgreen:

This is one of those questions that is tough to answer. If you had your system tuned by a pro on a dyno you can stop reading. If you do your own tuning...you know what I mean. When is enough, enough. I have been tinkering with my MSII for about 4 years now. I am still tuning! I feel lucky. I only blew one head gasket, no pistons, or rings lands...I think, I hope. :icon56:

Right now I can run the car full tilt in all the gears at my max boost of 14psi, it pushes me hard into the seat, and then I can drive it back home in one piece. When I drive it casually, it runs better (smooth-driveable) than my factory WRX. The L28ET is giving me 20-23mpg around town. What does it do on the dyno? No clue. It feels damn good though. With the stock injection it made 260rwhp. It feels quite quicker now than it did back then.

Am I done tuning? NOT! Why is that? :shock: Am I sick?

I think that's the point of doing a custom standalone system... why would you ever stop? There's always another mod, or another few hp or mpg to tweak, another bit of timing to play with.

With my N/A block, I stopped tuning when I got it where it would make small adjustments alternating between lean/rich every time I'd run a scan, but there's no reason I couldn't have kept dialing it in.

I expect my new turbo block to keep me much busier with tuning.

4 years! I don't feel so bad. I got my câr out of storage 2 months ago and I'm still tuning. After being in storage for 5 years I had to relearn how to tune my sds.I play with the timing and fuel curves everytime I get in it.

BTW- Scottie was right. My car feels much stronger running 40 degrees of timing past 3000rpms with no detonation.

I've been DDing my car for about two weeks now and every night I change a few settings and load the new tune in the morning and give it a shot for a day. Today we were messing with my car and I took my friend who owns a 240SX with a stock RB25DET in it and we agreed that my car was certainly faster, AND I'm still rich under boost. :D

I thought I was done...but I am thinking now, that I can get some more power off boost, by bringing the timing plateau from 35deg to 38deg advanced off boost. Then I want to graduate from 14psi boost to 18psi boost....so...

Here we go again!

I stopped tuning a year ago, haha. Like evildky, once my AFRs were spot on, transitions were smooth, warmup settings worked well, etc., I quit messing with it. It's not stalled or died or had a tuning-related hickup in the year I've left it. Might as well be a factory ecu as far as smoothness and drivability is concerned.

When I do make a change I have to tune for, I'm usually done tweaking in about 15 minutes, and then don't touch it agian.

Maybe its time to tune other peoples cars ehem ehem HINT Its the opposite with me its been 4 years and its still not running this last year I switched to MS. Its still running rich (when it does run) now its at the tuner and he cant even figure it out.

Guest Rolling Parts

I'm done.

I was going to get an EGT and finally generate a current baseline maps for a pure stock turbo L28ET for the MSII controller and share them but I stopped caring when the car ran well enough on a composite map blended/interpreted from 6 other peoples maps. Since the engine itself is hardly a precision instrument and is used as a daily driver on the street it seemed a little silly to persue tuning beyond the point of "runs well". Trying for an extra 0.2mpg or loosing 0.2sec in a 1/4 mile is not worth the effort for my daily street use OR the possible damage to the engine if I guess wrong...

Good enough is sometimes really good enough.

I read anyways!!!! I had my Vpro tuned on a dyno. Once we had everything figured out it literally only took 1 hour and less the 5 gals of fuel to get it to the point where we were comfortable on going out to the track. that's where we finished the tuning. in 5 runs we had dropped the ETs from 9.70s to 9.30s and gained 5 MPH.

I love to tune. but i'm also cheap. I learned from experience that it may be expensive initially but doing a dyno tune then fine tuning at the track is the way to go.

When do you stop???? as far as I'm concerned never. :burnout:

ogdensburg NY. Where abouts are you

I am in Putnam County. About 4-5 hours South. I spent a lot of time up in A-Bay on the St. Lawrence back in my youth. I doubt I'll be able to pop up and tune your car anytime soon but I can help you out with your maps via the internets. :burnout:

Thanks dude I appreciate the help. I Dont want to high jack this thread but ya I have tried everything possible with this car and thats why its at the tuner. Unlike stony Iam not cheap :P its just a pride thing. I have done this thing from day one and its the first time the car is out of the garage :( Plus they always trying to get you to do something else with the car.

Rolling parts could you post your msq in the map sharing post. I remember you had said you working on a baseline stock setup.

Some people never stop and are always tweaking; just like always playing with the car at all. Others, whether it's running great or not, will get to a point and call it a day. Some people enjoy tweaking the car as much as driving it.

That's funny you mentioned that...I always ponder weather I would rather be a driver, or the cheif engineer of a race team. I think I might like the engineering/tuning more than driving.