HybridZ

get a darn fire extinguisher...now!

grumpyvette

one of my friends, called to thank me for constantly bugging him into buying a couple fire extinguishers "HE WOULD NEVER USE" and forcing him to mount one on the door frame of the shop,and another on his inside garage door frame.

Id strongly suggested getting two simply because if the fires between you and the only extinguisher the second extinguisher will be very handy

seems he had been trying to get his lawn mower started and had pulled the plug to inspect it and put fresh gas in the tank, and had spilled some on the engine, well like most of us he had a less than intelligent moment and tried to start the mower but had forgotten to clip the magneto wire on the plug, it arced,

and ignited the spilled fuel on the engine and the open 1 gallon plastic gas can that was sitting next to the mower, well after screaming, cussing and running around for 3 seconds in a total panic, and getting slightly burned he remembered the extinguisher hanging on the wall next to the garage door and quickly put out the mower and the gas can (which luckily for him had only blown off it screw on spout, when the fumes ignited and was starting to melt but had not burst or he would have had about 2 more quarts of burning gas running across the garage floor, total damage was minor mostly because he had instant access to the extinguisher, it could have escalated into something much worse given a few more seconds to continue.

• Replies 43
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have three 20lb. fire extinguishers in the shop spread around as you mention above. I also have a 5 gallon pail of sand for a metal fire (I weld Magnesium and Titanium sometimes). When the fire dept. does their annual inspection they are very happy.

Thanks for the reminder to replace one of mine - neighbor's Jeep decided to do an impression of a hibachi a few weeks ago, my garage was the closest extinguishing device.

Managed to get the fire out, but the Jeep didn't survive - we had it out by the time the FD got there.

Yep,

Due to reading another post a while back regarding fires and fire extinguishers, I went out and purchased two: one near the interior door to the garage and one near the opposite end of the garage. I have two in there just in case. I hope to never have to use them!!!

Davy

Just last night, some idiot down the street let off a bottle rocket. This being in the city limits and after several hot dry days around here.

The rocket made it into a 3 gallon pot that was housing a lemon tree in the back yard and caught the dry leaves on fire. I only spotted it walking down the hall and saw yellow light illuminating the tall tree just outside the kitchen window. I looked out and found that the lemon tree had caught the plastic table on fire and this was melting and falling on the wood deck, trying to get it a blaze. I ran out and grabbed the hose and started spaying. Naturally the nozzle was set on mist. I turned it to full spray and nothing was coming out. turned it again and nothing. I then had to run and grab the fire extinguisher from under the sink in the kitchen. Got it put out in acouple minutes without much more damage to the deck, but the big tree above the table was about to go up in flames.

This just showed me that even thinking that you have a water hose handy doesn't mean Jack!

FYI... get at least one 20lb. dry chem fire extinguisher. A 10lb. extinguisher can work on a small fire if you're quick, but when the ♥♥♥♥ starts hitting the fan you need a 20lb. unit as backup.

I remember a scene with my Z from many years ago, when it was rusty, red/orange, and had the 6 in it.

I was at a door warehouse where my buddy worked. Z was up on two fork lifts (don't ask). We were welding floorboards in from underneath. Interior caught fire (don't ask). Grabbed the nearest extinguisher. It was empty! Ran to the back of the warehouse. That one was empty too. Ran to the opposite end of the warehouse - that one had pressure!

So have extinguishers - AND MAKE SURE YOU KEEP THEM TOPPED UP WITH PRESSURE!!!!

if anyone knows where to get a great deal on 10lb,or 15lb ,or 20lb co2 extinguishers please post a link

co2 is far less messy to clean up after, than dry chemical

True, yet dry chem is better suited for liquid fires, however it is very corrosive to wireing.

Afff is the best for liquid fires, or sudzy water.

Dry removes O2 from the triangle, co2 dose this as well, and, heat, but sucks at reflash. It can also spread fire due to the fuel being spread about.

In the navy the number 1 fire agent for putting out a fire is...........

(hint: it is not because it is largly avalible, just proven)

Okay here's my anecdote concerning vehicle fire.

It's before Christmas 2007 and I take out the rising pressure fuel regulator in my engine bay to check it. It checks out so I put it back in and retighten the fuel hoses.

I am also aware that I need to replace my alternator when my wife and I return from our Christmas vacation. It doesn't seem to be charging right.

No worries it is a lifetime warranty deal from Autozone.

So we fly out for our vacation and come back ten days later. My vehicle has been sitting this long in the garage.

I pull the car out of the garage and notice that there are two puddles beneath the vehicle. One is oil (big surprise) and one is...a clear liquid that looks like gasoline.

I lean over the engine bay and see gas shooting out from a gas line leading into my rising pressure fuel regulator.

I say a quick "oh s*** " and run to shut the engine off.

Just as I shut it off there is a loud "POP" from the engine bay and flames suddenly dance up the battery side of the engine.

I have absolutely no time to think, I just run to the twenty pound ABC extinguisher that came with me from an apartment move and smother that mother.

Some electrical lines were fried and the gas lines were about four seconds from burning through but no permanent damage.

It started from a defective pole on the alternator which was shorting and glowing red.

I do my auto work right outside my garage which is attached to our condo and the whole edifice is wood.

The whole buliding would have gone up in seconds. Crisis averted.

I carry a twenty pound ABC rechargeable fire extinguisher in my vehicle at all times.

Those little ones you buy at the parts store to mount in your vehicle and look all pretty are mostly useless. I say mostly because they work but you never know when the propellant is going to quit and render the whole thing functionless.

Safety first. Absolutely Godd*** right...

• 2 weeks later...

Here is a story for you guys.

My wife's mini van got hit in the rear passenger quarter and I have meaning to repair it for awhile. I finally got the paint I needed so I pulled the dent. It looked like swiss cheese after getting it pulled satisfactorily, so I decided to weld in the holes. I made sure the area was clear (or so I thought) and began to weld up the holes.

My new Lincoln 180 was doing a perfect job and making it easy. I just finished the third hole and I noticed a glow. I bend down and look in the holes and see a little fire. Luckily I was doing this at night, or I am not sure I would have noticed this. I go into panic mode and start yelling "Hun, Hun your car is on fire!". Sher opens the hatch thinking we will have to do something from the inside. I then remember the fire extinguisher I have in the garage. I grab it pull the pin and give it a quick burst on the outside panel. The fire is out immediately. Crisis averted.

I really thought I burnt her car up. There must be some sound deadner that I couldn't see that started the fire. I decided welding was not an option after that, so I just used fiberglass reinforced filler instead. Not the way I wanted to fix it, but better than burning her car up with my garage. Now I need to get the extinguisher recharged. I always have, at least, one in the garage and one in my kitchen. If you don't have one get one.