HybridZ

Don't you hate it when...

PanzerAce

When you're doing something, and as you're wrapping it all up, you forget the tiniest little detail that sends everything haywire?

I somehow managed to forget to fully snap in my dizzy cap with both metal tab/snap thingies, and managed to run super retard timing after swapping my thermostat.

• Administrators

After completely assembling an engine, discovering one wrist pin retainer leftover.

Then, upon a nearly complete teardown, discover it was an extra.

Edited by RTz

How about spending all night installing a new clutch, pressure plate, and tranny combo, solo, and repeatedly. finally giving up and calling a buddy (at about 8:00 AM) to show you whats wrong and why your clutch will not work. Turns out that to a noob, a Centerforce clutch really is just that much stiffer than stock. You can imagine how the first few attempts at first gear went.....

Having an engine on a stand for a while thinking the water pump should be OK and wondering "should I change it?" then after you install everything, on it's first fill of water, where does all the water spew out from? The water pump!!! Became an expert at doing RB water pumps...in about 40 mins in and out...when I did it the first time..sealant didn't work to well and had water leaking again! Cardboard gasket to the rescue!

During my current engine bay resto + engine rebuild:

Bolted up oil pan, forgot the oil pickup.

After installing the pickup & bolting the pan up again, forgot to install the pcv mesh screen.

After bolting head on to block & installing timing chain & cover & everything else... alternator, crank pulley, CAS etc etc., forgot to install timing chain tensioner :fmad:

you break a bolt flush with your block 2 days from the big race, drill a small hole into the bolt, then your eazy-out breaks flush with the block, then your $300 special order "industrial grade" diamond drill bit breaks, then you spend three weeks with a little drill and a box of drill bits to extract the something that should have only taken 5 minutes!!!

lol, i can play this...

Getting up early in the morning and making the mad dash to the machine shop before work (which opens the same time work does) to drop off your block for cleaning and machining, make record time through traffic, pull up out the front of the shop, make a beautiful and fast reverse park by the door, pop the boot and...........

Remember that you were supposed to put the block in the boot last night......

To top it off, i forgot my lunch that day too.

• Administrators
Or installing all 30 oil pan bolts and new gasket to turn around and see your oil sump/filter sitting in a box where you put it yesterday...

Oil pick up tube still sitting on the bench after installing the oil pan?! Been there! beatin.gif

Like getting ready to install the transmission only to realize that you forgot to put the sandwich plate on before the flywheel, clutch and pressure plate?

Yeah, I hate stuff like that.

Engine backing plate still on shop floor?! done that! mumble.gif

As you pour the last quart of oil into the engine you realize you forgot to install the drain plug.:ugg:

Almost done that. phew.gif

Couple/few years back in finishing up a custom L28, flat tops and MN47 head build up for a local customer, he asked if I could prime the oil system when he came to pick it up, I said yes. Engine still on the stand, hooked up my mechanical oil pressure gauge to the L-6 oil pressure port, (mostly to plug that port as oil will shoot out that port, been there as well), removed the oil pump to removed the quill shaft, reinstalled the oil pump, inserted priming rod own dizzy quill shaft hole, drill motor in reverse, start priming! Drill motor starts to bog down as pressure builds, owner of the engine standing behind the engine now starts dancing around like it is ho-down! He is an older gentleman, I can't imagine he is that excited about his engine?!?! His shoes covered in fresh oil, :shock: apparently I had forgotten to install the rear galley plug when I installed the front one! Good thing this customer is a good friend, we still get laugh over that one. shy.gif