HybridZ

$350 junkyard find

• Replies 84
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

No rust on it other than the rear quarter and jacked up front fender. I picked up a lt1 out of a ss impala today for $50. Ill have to see where i can go with it. Thanks for all the comments guys. All the attention makes the car feel special........

I am not sure if this is your first s30 but I can bet you there is more rust than you think. I can see in the picture that the corners of the rad support will need some attenion. Be sure of what you are starting with and take your time. Check the firewall for rust, floors under jute and above the undercoating. The car has been repainted so you never know what you will find once you start to tear it down. It is very very cool what you found but just to be clear, these car cost $$$$$$$$$$$$ to restore or just plain old fix rust. Don't let the excitment and words of others here fool you......just ask guys who have stripped their car down....YOU ALWAYS FIND MORE RUST.

Take more pics for us!!! :mrgreen:

just ask guys who have stripped their car down....YOU ALWAYS FIND MORE RUST.
Ain't that the truth... and I haven't even stripped it down yet!!! Fortunately, I think I've found most of it. Although, I thought that last time I looked at the car and ended up finding more rust...

Oh, and +1 on more pics!

I have a more practical reason for you to not drop a V8 in there: you're getting a car with questionable structural integrity (rust, etc) and don't plan on doing any chassis reinforcing. That's a recipe for a twisted chassis when you throw in the torque from a V8, or even a turbo swap. Also, in many cases an American V8 swap into a relatively rare "JDM" vehicle will decrease the resell value should you decide to ever sell it.

Unfortunately Z's tend to rust from the inside out.

As for keeping it original for resale value? Sorry but in my experience no one is willing to pay any more for a RHD Z than a comparable LHD 240Z. Purchasing it whole for $350.00 already proves the point.

My hat's off to you for rescuing the Fairlady Z from an unpleasant death. Do what you want motor and body wise. Get it running and enjoy the ride.

Unfortunately Z's tend to rust from the inside out.

As for keeping it original for resale value? Sorry but in my experience no one is willing to pay any more for a RHD Z than a comparable LHD 240Z. Purchasing it whole for $350.00 already proves the point.

So true, always more rust under paint and parts. Also RHD cars are not worth a ton more than a LHD.....as pointed out from the $350 purchase....more like cool factor.

IMHO, there are people out there who will fork out an extra $2K JUST because the steering wheel is on the right side!

Extra 2k? Maybe for a clean and nearly stock car. What will it cost to get this car back to that shape? Who cares about resale value...you will lose money on any car anyway after you put money into it. I have a very low vin 70 car with 44k on it...all original...100%.....it is getting a L30ET :flamedevi

I have a very low vin 70 car with 44k on it...all original...100%.....it is getting a L30ET :flamedevi

I think that is sorta different, at least its still Nissan or Datsun, I would much rather him get a rb in there or an sr20 than a sbc, obvious reason why that is less likely, mainly being cost and parts availability

Funny how the ones that dont care about the car being rare, coming with a l series stock, and all for a v8 is Evilc and wait whats in your 71....OH a v8. Shocking, but seriously we all know its his car and is Going to do what he wants, its just such a rare car and almost a waste to do so. I got a proposition for you, i have a rust free shell down here in texas in alot better shape than that car, you drop that car off at my house and you can take my shell with you back to Ohio and put a v8 in it. I even have a kit that came with one of the z's i bought i'll include to help you out on your grand journey.

Hell no i wouldnt put a v8 in it and i would tell anyone else to put money ontop of it my shell is that clean, with rear konis and springs already but id throw a stroker in it (low comp) with a nice turbo. I've got the motor and can deffinately afford a turbo setup, i just hate people that do this that cant afford it. I see i dont know how many of these "ready for v8, v8 swap, stoopid fast!!11Onee!one" cars on craigslist that dont sell, are deathtraps cause they werent done right, or just crap swaps....I couldnt stand for THIS to be yet another one.

I do this about once every six months...so here I go...:icon45:

Funny how the ones that dont care about the car being rare, coming with a l series stock, and all for a v8 is Evilc and wait whats in your 71....OH a v8.

First of all, I NEVER said put a v8 in it and if you can read.....I said my low VIN (HLS30-01905) 2/70 rare 240Z is getting a L SERIES MOTOR. Yes my 71 has a v8, so did my 73....your point? Sticky how long have you been around Zs? You should know....cool and bling factor does not make the car worth any much more than a USDM 240z. Is it rare, yes....rare enough to turn back into stock....if you have 20k-25k sure. :icon56:

All I am saying to the owner is, it is your car..you live once...build it for you! Don't worry about how "rare" it is.....the car is not a 432R or anything "special" in the sense of dollar amount. So don't feel like you have to go back to stock...at the end of the day....it is just a rhd Z. With that said, I am looking to get a rhd also to add to the collection and I would build it to be a triple weber car......def not stock. If your car was much cleaner, I would say try to keep it stock but it looks far gone to go back down that road...unless....is the dash "crack-free"?

IMO I'd find a cleaner shell and convert the LHD to a RHD using all of those rare parts if you really want a RHD car. I couldn't imagine that body being worth it with all of that rust in the back panels.

You got a really good deal on the badges dash, etc etc.

About the rarity of the car...

Mr. Mike T was showing me and Chris some pictures at Branson of him hanging out with some Z cars clubs in Japan - Guess what I saw?

A group of LHD cars, because that's what they want over there. I was very surprised. LHD cars over there are rare, and are very desirable, but over here you can get a running LHD S30 for $1000 or less. It's all about the market. The "keep it stock because it's rare" arguement doesn't hold much water.

Plus this is Hybrid Z. :)