HybridZ

Could you sell your car to a blithering idiot?

Kevin.pk

• Replies 42
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I never understood the entitlement that a previous owner thinks he has (with rare exception). If you sell the car, it's no longer your concern. Same with houses. I have relatives that are pissed because the new owner of 'their' house cares for it differently. So what, it's not YOURS any longer. You SOLD it, remember? When I pay for something with my hard earned green, it belongs to me and I'll do with it as I darn well please.

The compensation you receive releases your interest.

I agree completely, I would just prefer the car went to a proper gearhead if I ever choose to sell.

I'm having too much fun driving the car as it sits that I do not intend to sell. The $15k offer is only a few grand above what I have invested in the car, but if I were to start another build I think I could probably do it all over again for less. I don't think I am ready for another build as of right now though.

The guy sounded like he was doing alright financially and he was just having a mid life crisis.... he rolled up on a brand new Harley. Oh well, the guy gave me his number in case I change my mind.

The only instance I will not sell to someone, is when it is something that I think will get them killed. I had a set of wheels with throw away tires on them for sale, and a young kid who didn't have the money for new rubber wanted them for his car. He was going to put them on as is, and I couldn't persuade him otherwise. No dice... Not in the rainy fall up here anyway.

I've had friends refuse to sell high end sport bikes in similar instances. Sometimes you just don't want that on your conscience.

I never understood the entitlement that a previous owner thinks he has (with rare exception). If you sell the car, it's no longer your concern. Same with houses. I have relatives that are pissed because the new owner of 'their' house cares for it differently. So what, it's not YOURS any longer. You SOLD it, remember? When I pay for something with my hard earned green, it belongs to me and I'll do with it as I darn well please.

The compensation you receive releases your interest.

i disagree, i see your point but lets just say if someone bought your car, or anything that was sentimental to you simple to destroy it(not realistic i know), ya of course you got the money and its no longer yours but i wouldn't want to see the car or whatever that i put hours of work into be sold to a person that doesn't have respect for it.

I agree completely, I would just prefer the car went to a proper gearhead if I ever choose to sell.

I'm having too much fun driving the car as it sits that I do not intend to sell. The $15k offer is only a few grand above what I have invested in the car, but if I were to start another build I think I could probably do it all over again for less. I don't think I am ready for another build as of right now though.

The guy sounded like he was doing alright financially and he was just having a mid life crisis.... he rolled up on a brand new Harley. Oh well, the guy gave me his number in case I change my mind.

Hey man its Jeff from the old wednesday night cicis and sams meet in plano...drove a white and then a silver 280z....explain this to me real quick.

You would MAKE thousands more than you have in it. (you say only a few grand??) If i wrote you a check for 2-3k and said have a nice life you wouldnt take it?

Then to make it even better, you say you could build the same car for Cheaper...or Better than what you have in it now and you wont? (Even more money or nicer/faster/better car??)

What am i missing....your car is nice,dont get me wrong, but i dont think its 15k nice. And if i owned it and had 10-12k in it and knew i could do it all over again for even less and was offered thousands more? I'd tell him lets go to the bank and let me drop myself off at home and have a good one.

Hey man its Jeff from the old wednesday night cicis and sams meet in plano...drove a white and then a silver 280z....explain this to me real quick.

You would MAKE thousands more than you have in it. (you say only a few grand??) If i wrote you a check for 2-3k and said have a nice life you wouldnt take it?

Then to make it even better, you say you could build the same car for Cheaper...or Better than what you have in it now and you wont? (Even more money or nicer/faster/better car??)

What am i missing....your car is nice,dont get me wrong, but i dont think its 15k nice. And if i owned it and had 10-12k in it and knew i could do it all over again for even less and was offered thousands more? I'd tell him lets go to the bank and let me drop myself off at home and have a good one.

Hey jeff, hows it going?

I've got about 11-12k in parts in the car. I've done everything to the car including paint so that figure doesn't reflect the amount of time and labor I have put in to the car. I know, in all reality, the car probably isn't worth more than 8k to the average Z guy, and that probably a stretch. Believe me, I know the car isn't worth 15k.

I suppose my time is worth more than it would cost to build another one. I'm not ready for another long drawn out build. Meh.... I'll mull over the idea for a few more days, but more likely than not, the car is staying in my hands.

I've done that before. Sold an RHD Celica GT for an exorbitant sum, to an idiot. Had substantial power, made all the right noises, and got him discharged from the USAF because he simply couldn't keep his foot out of it.

I got it back at a substantial discount...er...like $200 compared to the $2000 I sold it for less than two or three months earlier. I then sold it to another idiot who ran it up a telephone pole guy wire and had it hanging from the front suspension. I believe he exited from it through the hatchback. I ended up getting the intake and carbs, as well as the header off the car before it was crushed.

Does that make me evil? It was like the Devil-Celica. And people who think cars aren't posessed, well...

If someone approached me with $15K for The Blue Turd, you can BET I'm looking for CASH ON THE BARRELHEAD.

Now, the same offer (or 2X that amount) for my 62 Microbus...I'd have to think long and hard about it. The 66 Bus, SOLD! But my 62? I'd have to think REEEEEAL hard...

But eventually, the money offered signifies they are SERIOUS about doing SOMETHING with the car, and that would probably sway me to sell it, knowing it would be cared for in some fashion or another.

Does that make me a car whore? Muahahahaha!

I would see my Z to anyone who has the cash! If he wanted to drive it in a demo derby I could care less. After it's gone it's gone, the new owner can do what they want. The only time I would have any feelings is if I saw it drive by and that could be both good and bad, it all matters if it was being taken care of.

As an addendum to my first comment, I think that with enough money, anyone can get put past all that hard work and dedication. HOWEVER, I think that as a responsible seller, one at least needs to take a look at the seller if for no other reason than to stave off the darwin award. There are some seriously quick Z cars on this forum that can get a lot of people killed if it's thrown in the hands of someone with more money than intelligence. As much of an advocate as I am of population control, I'd like to not include people killing themselves, or more importantly someone innocent, in a car I built.

Most motorcycle dealerships around here will NOT even consider selling you a 1000cc sport bike if it's your first, or even second bike. That's intelligent. My father sold his original GS1000 Suzuki to an 18 year old kid that found himself in a body cast a week later. Never again.

I think the owner coming around again after the sale is what makes my hair stand up on end, not necessarily seeing the car. Some buyers are your worst nightmare, come back, call you, ask you more questions, etc, and you wish you never sold the car to them in the first place. When I sell a car to someone, I feel like never want to see them again--the higher the sum ($15K in this case), the more the feeling.

Davy

I can TOTALLY relate! When I sold my '70 Datsun 510 with VG30 turbo with Toyota Supra upper A-arms and RX-7 lower A-arm (both aluminum). I had 5 guys all bidding on it in the $17-18k range. I was really wanting to sell it to someone who would respect the car, as even with 340 HP and 400 ft lbs, it was fast enough to really get the driver into trouble. I finally sold it to a friend that I knew had track time, respect for the car and would take care of it for $20k. I really didn't want to hear a story about some kid buying it and then dying in it from hitting a pole at 100 mph or something.

Gary-White510.jpg

49casper_eng_comp_1.jpg