HybridZ

Alternator exlpoded....

80LS1T

So there I am driving out to my parents house in the Datsun to watch the house like a good son while they are gone, when all of a sudden my alternator decides to EXPLODE! Yeah it basically broke in half and then the cooling fins went through my god damn hood! Awesome! Time to upgrade to a fiberglass or carbon fiber hood I guess.....

6771_153569765648_553205648_3295629_6250742_n.jpg

6771_153569770648_553205648_3295630_83389_n.jpg

6771_153569775648_553205648_3295631_7644211_n.jpg

6771_153569785648_553205648_3295632_4214150_n.jpg

6771_153569790648_553205648_3295633_8318425_n.jpg

Pretty much had it with this motor set up. If its not one thing its another with this god for saken LT1.....:x

Yeah I've been turning wrenches professionally for 7 years and I've never seen anything like this. Looks like about $600 for a fiberglass hood from JohnC @ betamotorsports. I hate hood pins but I may have to go with some for the rear of the hood if I decided to buy this hood from John. I don't know how repairable something like this is? I'm going to get an alternator and new belt for this asap and then take it over to my painter and see what he has to say.

I just a can't seem to make it through a summer with out something going wrong with the motor. Last year it was OPTI spark issues and my steering gear box seizing up!

Stories like this makes me glad I don't have a GM engine or car :D Just kidding, it's not the brand that matters. It's the person who owns it, some people just have bad luck with car (which sounds like you and me with our Datsuns) and those who don't take care of their car and blame it on the manufacturer (I admit I don't take proper care of my Mustang but I don't blame Ford for the things I've neglected).

As far as the hood goes, if it was mine I would take a hammer and dolly and see how flat I could get it hoping that it didn't stretch too much. And if the cut line closed up good enough I would TIG it and hammer weld it. If it did stretch too much then it doesn't look like it would need that big of a patch panel, that looks like a good paint job there though and... I'm not a painter at all so I can't say anything on the paint side of it.

WTF!!................. What type of alt. is it? ( just curious )

Where did you get it?

Is the case actually broken?............ INSANE!

Your lucky you weren't passing someone and the blades shot off into their car!!.. Can you image explaining that?

Well good news my insurance company is going to cover everything but the alternator and belt. All I have to pay is my $100 deductable! Now we just have to find a hood since one from Nissan isn't available anymore. Im hoping we can just tell them that I can get a hood from a company out in CA(JohnC @ Betamotorsports). They are the same price as a new hood from Nissan if it was available.

No the alternator was not touching the back of the valve cover. The cover is notched for the alterantor though(factory).

I actually just put a new belt tensioner on last week with a new belt(bearing was noisey). All seemed fine and noise was gone. Never made a single noise before it blew apart. The case on the alternator is broke in half.

Not sure what brand the alternator was, it was a remanufactured though. I put in on the car over 2 years ago.

And it depends if I get a hood from John or if I get another non turbo hood weather or not I keep the hood vents.

Well its a spring loaded auto tensioner. Installation is straight forward...2 bolts hold it on. The only thing that was weird was that some of the fan blades on the alt. were bent forward when I went to do the tensioner? Not all of them though. They weren't hitting anything but they were slightly bent forward away from the alt? I have no idea why though. I didnt think much of it and just bent them back.

I have State Farm as my insurance company. And I have classic collector car insurance on it. I don't think it made a difference though. They called the claims adjuster and told them what happen and they said it was covered. Wasn't a big deal to them at all.