HybridZ

77 Feet Of Custom Cage

Zzeal

I'm prepping a solid '73 for an LS2, to do some auto-X, lapping at Nelson Ledges, and for just a good hoot on the street.

This old chassis is pretty floppy to begin with and it's gunna be absorbing 250 more lb./ft. of torque than it was designed for, so I thought some chassis stiffening was a must.

Luckily, I know Mark McMahan (rollcageguy.com). He's known for his precise, tightly conforming cages, and his smooth consistent welds top it off. Mark's a very creative, innovative guy whose cages are more like rolling art.

I dropped my rolling chassis off to him and we agreed that the cage should be as inconspicuous as possible (i.e., no diagonal on the main hoop), not block outward vision, and I didn't want to climb over bars to get in.

The top side bar, coming off the main hoop starts high, hugs the top, then matches the curvature of the "A" pillar, providing space for noggins and retaining good forward vision.

The awkward looking bars, running down to the diff. mount area were an afterthought (mine). Had to start 'em there so they wouldn't interfere with the seats. We'll finish it up with gussets later, where there's paper now.

The stock seat mounts were removed (not a whole lot of fun) so that the replacement seats can be mounted as low as possible.

There's a total of about 77 ft, of 1-1/2", .095 wall DOM tubing, which, at 1-1/2 lbs. per ft. equals about 116 lbs.. Add another 15 or so for the mounting plates and that's a porky total of about 131 lbs.

For those of you not saddled with an archaic system of weights and measures, that's 23.5 meters of 38.1 mm dia., 2.4 mm wall tubing for 60 kilo's of pork. A fair trade off, in my mind, for a much more stable platform.

Steve

IMG_1019.jpg

IMG_0987.jpg

IMG_0992.jpg

IMG_1025.jpg

IMG_1000.jpg

IMG_1011.jpg

IMG_1006.jpg

IMG_0996.jpg

IMG_0988.jpg

IMG_1003.jpg

IMG_1020.jpg

IMG_1030.jpg

Sorry, I don't like to be the bearer of bad news, but it won't pass SCCA or NASA tech because of the missing diagonal unless the main hoop tubing wall thickness is .120" instead of .095". Hopefully Mark upgraded the main hoop wall thickness.

Although its a matter of opinion, I'm also of thought that the main hoop rear braces should not extend past the rear strut towers. That rear crush zone is important and directly imparting rear impact loads into the roll bar increases the loads on the driver.

For an open track, lapping car the cage is probably fine. If you ever go to sell the car and you want to expand your market to the wheel-to-wheel guys, you should make the changes listed above.

Sorry, I don't like to be the bearer of bad news, but it won't pass SCCA or NASA tech because of the missing diagonal unless the main hoop tubing wall thickness is .120" instead of .095". Hopefully Mark upgraded the main hoop wall thickness.

Although its a matter of opinion, I'm also of thought that the main hoop rear braces should not extend past the rear strut towers. That rear crush zone is important and directly imparting rear impact loads into the roll bar increases the loads on the driver.

For an open track, lapping car the cage is probably fine. If you ever go to sell the car and you want to expand your market to the wheel-to-wheel guys, you should make the changes listed above.

I was unaware of the Main hoop rule being .120". Is that just if it is .120" Cr-Mo or is that mild steel?

I also have my main hoop braces actually running TO the rear strut towers. It seemed like the best thing to do for load transfers and for safety. I hardly EVER see cars like that though? They usually run all the way to the rear of the car. Why is that?

Original Poster... How did you manage to weld around the entire bar where the A-pillar bar meets the roof hoop? I looks very tight in there. Looks like it could only be welded all the way around if the roof were removed. Actually, it looks to be that situation in a lot of the corners of the cage. It looks like a very nice cage though, very pretty.

I re-read the new version of the GCR (section 9.4) and the previous rule that allowed a main hoop or other element to not meet the rules if it was the next size larger in material requirements is gone. My recommendation above regarding next sized main hoop tubing no longer applies.

All roll cage elements have to meet the SCCA spec to be stamped and allowed to run at a SCCA Club Race.

Yeah, I know we didn't meet anybody's tech requirements, didn't even think about it. I'm just having a blast building what works for me. Maybe I should be considering what a prospective buyer would want... nah, the next guy can tailor it to his own liking.

I just want that stealthy cage to sharpen the handling, not look boy-racer'ish, and provide a whiff of crash protection.

Mostly, I wanted to show you what an extraordinary craftsman Mark is.

Steve

77 feet, wow, I never really thought about how much tubing went into a full cage.

It definitely looks sexy, regards if its to spec.

Man, thats an awesome rotisserie. I have been looking at cages a lot lately and for some reason the rotisserie caught my eye.

• 5 weeks later...

?? I was thinking the same thing......Is it in fact welded all the way around?

Original Poster... How did you manage to weld around the entire bar where the A-pillar bar meets the roof hoop? I looks very tight in there. Looks like it could only be welded all the way around if the roof were removed. Actually, it looks to be that situation in a lot of the corners of the cage. It looks like a very nice cage though, very pretty.

?? I was thinking the same thing......Is it in fact welded all the way around?

Sorry about not addressing the question, I did PM SATAN an answer but should have posted it!

The only bars not completely welded are those in the engine compartment, going to the strut towers. All the other bars are welded completely around.

Mark has some techniques to pull it off, as do most professional cage installers, I'm sure.

Steve

When you think about (not that I have experience with this sort of thing) if you were building a cage this intricate you would weld up the impossible pieces outside of the car and weld the easy ones in the car, to make the cage solid. Just my theory.

besides the fact that it may or may not pass regulations, it is still what th OP wanted and shows of what is undeniable amazing welding skills of the creator of the cage.