HybridZ

What to do with a 280zx Turbo Donor with no Title ...

JSM

..., you chop it into tiny little pieces to bring to the scrap yard! All with a Sawzall.

I learned a bunch taking this thing apart and cutting it up. The ZX are very simple to work on.

I was really amazed at how well and how much steel was used in the roof sections, but so little was used in the frame rails themselves.

The pile is the entire car minus doors, hood and two front fenders. Just the metal. Those will be added soon!

280zxt_Cut.jpg

I agree, S130s are very simple to work on! Getting started in the engine bay was kind of a pain, but once you get started, it's all downhill. I'm not quite at the point you're at, but that would be the next step since there are two trim pieces left on the entire shell - and they're not coming off. I also learned that S130s hide rust rather well.

Lots of hidden rust on this beauty. I got all the front window molding off very easily except the top one. The windsheild itself came off pretty easy but was a lot of work. I was hoping to save it as a spare but either I cracked it or it was already cracked in the corner.

I'm not looking forward to the rust repair I have to do on my ZX around the windshield.

I did that with an AE86 a few years back except I used a plasma cutter. It is fun for a while but then it gets to be just plain work. The good news is that you really get a good look at how cars are built and where the weak areas are. I have a 280Z parts car without a title that I need to hack up in the spring and I think I'm going to use the sawzall for that.

Frank280ZX found several 280ZX's in my yard like that when he came the first time... He was amazed by the lack of rust, and ended up picking through all the piles.

Really, there's no need to make them that small unless you are putting them in the recycling bin out front of the house for trash pickup and don't want to draw attention to yourself.

I cut to the size that is easily tossable with one hand, and then go searching for unlocked dumpsters if it's something I don't want to bother taking to the scrapyard...

But when the trailer is piled high...hey, that's $50!

Really, there's no need to make them that small unless you are putting them in the recycling bin out front of the house for trash pickup and don't want to draw attention to yourself.

I was thinking about this and you are likely right. I was concerned that the re-cyclers may have an issue with it being a car and not take it. I did find that cutting certain small pieces out first made the next few cuts much easier though.

Florida passed a law that no JY can take a car without a title. When I took my last car to the JY this year with a title, they took my DL#, finger print and even took a picture of me! Kinda extreme but I guess when steel prices were so high, lots of theft was going on.

The first few cuts were fun, then it became a bunch of work.

Exactly! I just finished cutting up a 280Z with a Husqvarna 100cc 14" cutoff saw. My big problem was the numerous fires I started when the shower of sparks lit something else up. Its kinda fun though when the first cut is right down the middle of the car and it falls into two longitudinal sections. I stopped and thought for about 10 minutes about what I could do with 1/2 a Z... then I came to my senses and fired the saw back up.

Its kinda fun though when the first cut is right down the middle of the car and it falls into two longitudinal sections. I stopped and thought for about 10 minutes about what I could do with 1/2 a Z...

No Brainer: Stick it on the wall up high out of the way and wait for visitors to comment on how freakin' cool it is. Paint it nicely, and you can sell it to some car-themed diner when you get tired of it...

There was an office in LA with a complete skeletonized 240Z, inverted and suspended from the roof!

I was dumping them in the metal scrap bin behind work for a while, till the Shop Manager called the police and we had CostaMesa PD with most of a Z laid out on the macadam behind the shop one morning.

He thought a chop shop was using our metal dumpster to dispose of stolen cars.

"Sorry Mr. Riggs, without the VIN, we really have no way of knowing what this car was, or who it belonged to..."

Whew (he he he he!) Imagine that, no VIN on any of the parts in the dumpster. Amazing.

When he found out it was me, he was apologizing. He never figured out that the metal always arrived the NIGHT before a metal pickup, and always JUST filled the bin so there was never any extra haulage or transfer fees involved. You think a chop shop would have been that considerate?

"Yeah, I guess I should have figured. I just coudn't figure out what car it was from, if I figured it was a Z, I would have thought of you first, and not a chop shop."

Who says I'm not a chop shop Monty?

We both laughed at that one!

I loaded the parts into the back of my truck tonight. The nice thing is, it is just barely coming over the top of the bed. Loading was very easy and quick, no back pain and no more pile in my driveway.

Looking forward for my $25.00 i'm going to get!