HybridZ

Suede vs Leather Steering Wheel

Kismet

This is a steering wheel question. I have been looking at a lot of steering wheels out there and something came across my page, suede steering wheel. My first thought was, "Cool that would look awesome!" but I came soon realize, isn't suede that fabric on my couch that my wife loves to roll around on naked? Well then, I thought to myself, that wouldn't be very functional for a drifting event or something in that nuture. So I am asking my fellow Z'ers, what are your opition on 'Suede' or 'Leather' steering wheels. Let me know.

Suede is the way to go. Looks like your wife has it all figured out :mrgreen:.

Leather is slick on a wheel. Suede will absorbe mositure and at least I have a better feel of the car with a suede wheel.

If you are using driving gloves, suede will give you better grip on the wheel over a leather wheel.

Suede is the way to go. Looks like your wife has it all figured out :mrgreen:.

Leather is slick on a wheel. Suede will absorbe mositure and at least I have a better feel of the car with a suede wheel.

If you are using driving gloves, suede will give you better grip on the wheel over a leather wheel.

Thanks Mark. I am planing to wear gloves for driving events. So I should take my wifes lead and go with suede then. I wonder what see is going to do when I buy a suede steering wheel. Maybe I won't install it as soon as I get it in the mail. :wink:

I've done business with this guy. He is in Thialand but don't let that scare you. These wheels are 250 to 300 here and his with shipping are about 100.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/OMP-Corsica-Steering-wheel-350-suede-rally-race-new-R_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQhashZitem3ca7c5b748QQitemZ260512790344QQptZMotorsQ5fCarQ5fTruckQ5fPartsQ5fAccessories

i just purchased a wheel from this ebay seller.. cool guy to deal with, offers this wheel for a really low cost.... the hub only cost me 20 dollars more for the boss kit.

i went with leather just to go with my interior... plus i dont go autox, maybe once every 2 years for fun =)

I've done business with this guy. He is in Thialand but don't let that scare you. These wheels are 250 to 300 here and his with shipping are about 100.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/OMP-Corsica-Steering-wheel-350-suede-rally-race-new-R_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQhashZitem3ca7c5b748QQitemZ260512790344QQptZMotorsQ5fCarQ5fTruckQ5fPartsQ5fAccessories

I agree with Mark. This seller is good to do business with and you can't go wrong with the suede wheel. I purchased a Sparco adapter and liked it better that the less expensive other ones offered due to the Sparco piece being tightly splined while many of the others are 5 sided and feel loose and have play in them when installed.

I personally like this steering wheel from Momo.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/MOMO-MOD-DRIFTING-330mm-Suede-Steering-Wheel_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQhashZitem35a51c0a42QQitemZ230403344962QQptZMotorsQ5fCarQ5fTruckQ5fPartsQ5fAccessories

The one mark mentioned is a good one too and at a great price. Still not too sure which one to get but for sure I'll be getting a suede one.

I have decided that I "need" that OMP suede wheel, therefore, I shall buy it for x-mas. I always give me the best gifts.

why dont you buy the wheel now so by the time christmas comes you can install it!!! thats what i did, should be here within another week or so :mrgreen:

Suede gives the most comfortable grip. For track use I would go suede for it's high friction on gloves. But, It has drawbacks as well.

For street I might choose smooth leather instead. I have seen what happens to suede wheels when used with bare hands. They get all gummy and matted. Alcantara might be easier to clean and it gives a similar surface to suede.

I chose the OMP wheel as well. I used a NON-Dished wheel with a quick release bolt on conversion. The stack height of the conversion required I use a flat wheel. Even then, it has some dish to it.

Suede as mentioned does get gummy and matted over time. It absorbs everthing and it's pretty much not possible to clean it well. It's has great grip and look sweet at first, but it goes bad over time.

Stick with leather if you're going to drive this with any regularity. I had a Momo suede wheel but now have a Nardi Twin. Would never go back.

6746630215_large_thumb.jpg

Edited by Supra510
Spelling