HybridZ

Your Z is on a Rotisserie..What would you do?

So my Z has been media blasted and primered and is going on the rotisserie tomorrow. There is NO RUST TO BE REPAIRED. If you had it to do all over again and your Z was at this point what would you do? I have searched and read for hours. The following list is my plan. I would appreciate any tips or time savers anyone could pass on.

FYI Im doing a 2JZ with a single turbo, R154, Q45 rear end and fuel cell. The car will be used as a weekend car and some autox's.

Bad Dog Frame Rails

Weld In 4 Point Roll Bar

Weld In Rear Strut Brace

Weld in tube between Firewall and Front Strut Towers

Weld in tube between Front Strut Towers and frame.

Camber Plates

Seal seams!, there's lots of 'em. I used 3M's white, caulk gun dispensed sealer and Eastwood's goopier, brush on stuff. It's one of those "why not do it while it's on the twirler" deals.

I wouldn't bother running bars from the strut towers to the firewall though, it's too flexi.

Steve

P1000122-1.jpg

If you are sure the car will never be on the race track, skip the cage or roll bar. You won't miss it on the street and with subfame connectors and strut bars you will be good for an occasional autocross.

Flame suit on. :mrgreen:

Panda z posted the following in the Fabrication/Welding section but did not get any responses:

"Hey, just wondering if anyone has any ideas, suggestions, examples on the best & most effective places to gusset & seam/stich an early S30 (late '71)?

I was thinking about adding gussets to the chassis rail to firewall area and stitching or spoting the F&R strut towers and chassis rails. (i already have a full cage)

Any assistance would be greatly appreciated!"

Are there particular areas on an S30 that would give a major improvement in body stiffness, if seam/stitch welded, as oposed to welding every accessible seam?

One would think that the strut towers and surrounding area would be most important, but really the rockers tie the front of the unibody to the rear of the unibody, so the whole thing is important, and the stock body is so flexible that I have a lot of trouble thinking that just doing the areas around the struts is good enough.

That's my untested estimation.