HybridZ

GoPro Camera Help Needed

Mayolives

I have a new GoPro HD camera and I'm unable to view the video I have taken. I have tried all the programs I have to replay the video but to no avail. I receive this message when I try to replay. "The player might not support the file type or might not support the codec that was used to compress the file" This is all Greek for me. Any ideas???

What type of file is it? What resolution? A lot of computers have trouble with higher quality h.264 files. My amd dual core desktop barely played 1080i .m2ts files from my sony HD camera until I got a graphics card that decoded instead of the CPU. If you have a multicore CPU and VLC plays it, but not very well you want to download k lite codec pack. After you install it, find ffdshow video decoder configuration and change the h.264/avc decoding to ffdshow-mt, this was the only way I could play full quality files until I got a better graphics card.

I have heard of people having issueswith older ones. Specifically if they recorded until the sd card is completely filled, it will corrupt the file and make it unreadable. I haven't heard of people having the same issue with the newer HD versions though.

I don't know if that is the problem here but just an FYI.

Thus far I have followed Gopro's instructions and connected the camera to the computer using the supplied USB cord.

Was there software supplied with the camera? There should be, to do editing too but I don't have a Gopro so maybe they don't.

Google avi player. If you used the HD setting this type of player will it. I had a similar problem with my sony HD hard drive camera and this player worked for me.

My kid told me this. Us old farts don't know this stuff.

Hope it helps. I look forward to checking out your new toys at the track.

I have the 5mp standard definition gopro. I don't have the cables but it worked just hooking up the card to the computer. I'm sure the HD units are different.

What I would like to do is set it up to run on the lighter. I have a universal converter, but have yet to research to try and make it work.

After speaking with a Gopro tech. person I am now able to view the videos but only on my relatively new laptop. My desktops are at least five and seven years old and aren't up to the task. I really don't have a technical understanding of computers, even after using them for many, many years. Apparently, the Gopro camera records in MP4/H.264 format. I was directed to the http://www.264info.com web site, where I downloaded a codec pack called K-Lite. After which I was able to playback my videos. They are very sharp, even in lower light, indoor situations. I'm anxious to be back on track again and hope the in car stuff will be this good.

• 5 weeks later...

Go get the K-Lite codec pack if you intend to play around with media. Also use the Media Player Classic that comes in the codec pack.

http://www.codecguide.com/download_kl.htm

I usually just get the FULL version.

The radio controlled airplane guys have a ton of experience with the GoPro cams. You might find tidbits here:

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1140341