HybridZ

Intake air temperature

What kind of IAT's are you guys seeing? Please include weather you have an intercooler or not, air filter location, what turbo, boost pressure, and any other info you think is relevant.

I have the stock 280zx t3, non intercooled, filter is straight off the turbo after about 1ft of pipe, about even with the harmonic balancer, with 7psi of boost. On an ~80* day I see a peak of ~220*F after a few gears. Sensor is located in the J pipe right before the 180* bend.

My air filter is in the same location as yours.  I have an intercooler and a TO4B at 16psi.  I see between 90 and 110 F  just before the throttle plate, on an 80 degree  day as far as I can remember.  I need to do a datalog to get exact numbers.   

Edited by cygnusx1

My air filter is in the same location as yours.  I have an intercooler and a TO4B at 16psi.  I see between 90 and 110 F  just before the throttle plate, on an 80 degree  day as far as I can remember.  I need to do a datalog to get exact numbers.   

Same temps as I see except I run up to 22+ psi, intercooler and a T03/04E turbo. When I am injecting methanol I see around 45 to 50 degrees (sometimes colder). B)

220*???

Wow. Flat top F54, stock T3 ~9 psi.

Non intercooled, I would see up to 190* in late summer.

Installed a Volvo 740i FMIC with 2.25" pipes, I don't ever go above 90-95* IAT. Usually about 75*-80* if it's not 90*+ Ambient.

IAT Sensor located directly before the throttle body in the IC piping.

I have a T3/to4w turbo with front mount IC. My IAT sensor is right behind the TB. My intake is in front of the turbo and pointed down. With ambient temps of 90 deg I see between 95-115 deg rowing through the gears. I see about 92-95 deg cruising. I would really like to move the intake out in front and get it out of the engine bay. I bet this would make a difference.

and WOW.. 220 DEG!!! now thats some HOT AIR!!!

Edited by wigenOut-S30

Mine is sitting on the bottom side in the rear of my Lonewolf intake. Directly above the turbo. I'm sure it's getting some ambient heat and skewing the numbers a little bit, but on a 95-100 degree day, I see maybe max of 130 - generally 110-115 though. 3" intercooler.

Using a Spearco water injection kit with 12 psi and a small T4 turbo, the IAT temps wouls be 95 -110* or so on an 80* day. The air filter was right off the inlet of the turbo, the IAT is right after the TB in the same location as the the stock cold start injector. With 220* IAT a physical or chemical IC would be good insurance against future engine damage.

I picked up an intercooler from an evo 8 recently, it fits in the nose of a Z pretty well, now I just have to build the piping and mount it. The temps were from my old motor, it didn't have the heat shield on the exhaust manifold, the motor I just put in does have the heat shield, hopefully it cuts down on the temps some until I can get the IC on. I'm also keeping the timing around 20-22* in boost for now.

I'm pretty surprised that they're this high for a reasonably stock setup, but I bet they'd drop 50* if I moved the filter out front.

I am running a large intercooler and a GT30 T3/T4 running 15psi with the air filter mounted on the face of the turbo. My IAT sensor is mounted just before the TB. My IAT's usually run about 15~20* above outside air temps on hot summer days. I have seen 8~10* above on cold winters(35~40* days). Those numbers were before I wrapped my exhaust manifold. I wrapped it after I recently put the motor back together, I'll post my results after I get my car back from paint.

This is sitting still for about 15-20 minutes, since I'm still working out bugs. On a 90degree day with no intercooler and the stock T3 I seen temps that hit about 190deg, which was very close to the engine temp. Today it's 80 and now with a Intercooler with the stock T3, It was at 90 degrees and then I watched it climb to 115deg before I shut it off. If you felt the intercooler after running for that long it's hard to believe that it's reading 115.

I'm thinking while moving that temps would be much closer to ambient Temps.

My IAT is directly behind the TB.

Edited by goodoldjam

• 2 years later...

Just got my t3/04e running without an intercooler.

With 10lbs of boost only taking it to 4500 I am seeing 145 degrees on a 50 degree day.

Filter is mounted in front of the radiator and IAT sensor is in the cold start location

Start with the specs:

N/A L28 (flat top pistons)

ZXT exhaust manifold

Borg Warner turbo from a 6.5L Diesel found in mid to late '90s GM trucks

Originally, the 2.5" piping was routed under the oil pan, up beside the engine, through the rad support (passenger side) and then back in the through the rad support on the driver side to the TB. (Planned on intercooler from the start.

Added an intercooler that I made from two Ford Turbo Coupe intercooler cores.

When my turbo L28 was non-intercooled, and the air filter was attached to turbo directly, I was seeing upwards of 180* intake temps at 10 PSIG.

I then moved my air filter down and forward of the turbo with a short pipe and saw my intake temps drop about 10*

I then moved my filter out in front of the rad and saw my intake temps drop about 20*.

After adding the intercooler (with the air filter back inside the engine bay due to replacing the 240 rad with a 280 rad and interfering with my intake tube), my intake temps dropped to being within 5* of ambient, if not within a degree of ambient, at boost pressures upwards of 20 PSIG. The only issue I experience is after sitting in the staging lanes at the track when it's busy and the intercooler gets heat soaked. The intercooler piping is very close to being the same as I described above, with the changes being to install the intercooler itself. I have since moved the filter in front of the rad again. My cruise temps seemed to drop 10 to 20* after moving the filter.

Some pics for reference:

Just after the turbo and EFI install:

http://www.ontariozcar.com/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=3374&d=1362872176

Intercooler:

http://www.ontariozcar.com/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=3272&d=1361332524

Intake:

http://www.ontariozcar.com/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=3235&d=1361328906