HybridZ

NEW.... Composite ideas!

azcarbum

I still really want to see some real carbon fenders with buckets. I think fenders, while large, should be super simple. It isn't a very thick part. It really only consists of one main part.

Oh, as for the bare carbon. I think it is ricey and tacky. Especially if you are talking fenders, buckets, hood, hatch, doors and all. If you don't then wrap the car in a matching vinyl, it won't look good. It will just look like a bunch of mix matched parts. May as well just paint the car.

Edited by ModernS30

• Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

nothing wrong with bare carbon at all...some of us do want to have it bare...and whats the problem? Parts guy makes it bare/clear coated, and then you that want to paint it scuff and paint...i dont get why people get their panties in a wad...The only reason i can think of to not make it bare is that it takes more work to have it look good, and not have a "wavy weave" but if its a "quality part" you shouldne have any issues with that.

Then again if one out of 5 comes out wavy, save it for the "im gonna paint it anyway" guy and leave the good looking stuff for those of us that car about it looking good bare. It really isnt that hard i dont get why people get all in a twist over it.

I don't care if you like it bare. By all means keep it bare. I seem to have a problem with the way I come across. :blink: I think part of it is the not actually seeing my body language and the fact that its the interwebz. :( I was mostly stating my opinion. I think a car that has many carbon parts unpainted, then the rest of the car a different color it doesn't look very good. Honestly though, if your building a race car, who cares what it looks like. If you want all this carbon stuff to actually do what it is made to do, save weight. Then you are probably building a race car of some sort. Price to weight gain wise, there are many other things that can be done to drop the same weight for less a price. :D

Just my opinion, I don't mean to put anybody down or ruffle feathers. My panties are not in a bunch, It gets rather uncomfortable when they get that way. I try to keep them straight. B)

Any progress on the parts or sure ideas of maybe some small parts that are going to get made?

For looks I got a sweet one, carbon shift knob!

So again, I have the entire mold set for the body kit for the Newman/Sharp 280ZX as configured in this R&T article:

http://zhome.com/History/Electramotive/ElSh28zx.htm

The only mold I don't have is for the rear spoiler, but I have a bunch of good spoilers that molds can be made from (I also have tow original ZXR spoilers).

P9200002.jpg

Here are the fender molds:

IMAG0234.jpg

IMAG0233.jpg

I also have the air dam and front bumper molds for the same car. I also have mold for a unique 280ZX air dam that I can't identify. I can post photos if people are interested.

So any of you 280ZX guys interested in a real Bob Sharp ZXR kit?

Pete

Edited by z-ya

please post pics of the other air dam, also are you selling the molds. Or offering to make the kit. If so what do u think the price range would be?

I only have the molds for the other air dam. I think that it was an early model that maybe was disallowed in C production. That is why I can't find any pics on the web. It looks like it was made the same time the fender flares were. The fender flares are early designs as well. I'll take some photos of the molds.

I'm not really interested in selling the molds, but if there is a lot of interest, we may have a few sets made.

Pete

I think a car that has many carbon parts unpainted, then the rest of the car a different color it doesn't look very good.

Guess you cant stand seeing these then...

Vehicles_27Sep10008.jpg?t=1285636534

Vehicles_27Sep10009.jpg?t=1285636685

676486708_buqhB-L.jpg

645841061_KWpon-L.jpg

ZOMG and Clive (red car) doesnt even have as much bare as i do at the moment....(hood, hatch, bumpers-although i might not use them, taillight surround, cowl panel, flares, front air dam, spoiler) Geeesh...but as stated there are alot better/cheaper ways of shedding weight than carbon, and glass isnt much heavier and ALOT cheaper...most buy it for the "look"

Guess you cant stand seeing these then...

ZOMG and Clive (red car) doesnt even have as much bare as i do at the moment....(hood, hatch, bumpers-although i might not use them, taillight surround, cowl panel, flares, front air dam, spoiler) Geeesh...but as stated there are alot better/cheaper ways of shedding weight than carbon, and glass isnt much heavier and ALOT cheaper...most buy it for the "look"

Everything I say isn't going to be accepted so I am not even going to try. Nuff said.

As per my usual business practices, I'm looking to possibly build a few new and 1-off custom composite parts for the S30z.

I would like to get some feedback on these ideas, and see what you feel you guy'z might be interested in, and what you think you wouldn't.

Here are the ideas:

CF- Solid Tail light panel? ( for custom taillight installs )

CF- Door skins ( get the look w/o the full price? )

CF- Hatch skins?

CF- quarter Window w/air duct?

CF- Roof skin

what do you guys think of these?

I can make em for ya

We spoke over the ph a cpl mths back.

I have the Beta Motorsports rear hatch. It is freaking LIGHT. The IMSA rear spoiler has a center section that weighs more than the entire hatch with lexan and fittings. The IMSA spoiler is a great example of OVERWEIGHT fiberglass parts.

The resin used with various layups also goes a long way towards strength and durability. Most CF parts use epoxy. If it is cured properly it can be much more durable than the typical polyester resin used for most FG pieces.

The type of layup also has a lot to do with the end result.

1. Many mass produced FG parts used short strand FG applied with a spray gun. This "chopper glass" is not very strong and requires thick layups. These are always crack prone, overweight junk.

2. A better method is "wet layup" using woven cloth. This is typical of the MSA ZG flares. The pieces are fairly strong and light. They suffer from lack of flexibility and are prone to cracking.

3. Vacuum bagging is one of the most sophisticated methods. It requires slow curing resins and is typically used with epoxy. The parts are layed up with a minimal coating of resin. The vacuum pump and bag layers will apply even pressure to the layup and remove most of the excess resin in the process. The result is a very light and very thin flexible part. The layers of cloth are compacted far thinner than any wet layup could ever produce.

Aircraft parts are usually made with vacuum bagging using pre-impregnated cloth and require a huge oven to cure the resin. The parts are further heated and cooled to temper and final cure the resin. That is aerospace $$$ and beyond the little Z-car's budget.

I have the Beta Motorsports rear hatch. It is freaking LIGHT. The IMSA rear spoiler has a center section that weighs more than the entire hatch with lexan and fittings. The IMSA spoiler is a great example of OVERWEIGHT fiberglass parts.

The resin used with various layups also goes a long way towards strength and durability. Most CF parts use epoxy. If it is cured properly it can be much more durable than the typical polyester resin used for most FG pieces.

The type of layup also has a lot to do with the end result.

1. Many mass produced FG parts used short strand FG applied with a spray gun. This "chopper glass" is not very strong and requires thick layups. These are always crack prone, overweight junk.

2. A better method is "wet layup" using woven cloth. This is typical of the MSA ZG flares. The pieces are fairly strong and light. They suffer from lack of flexibility and are prone to cracking.

3. Vacuum bagging is one of the most sophisticated methods. It requires slow curing resins and is typically used with epoxy. The parts are layed up with a minimal coating of resin. The vacuum pump and bag layers will apply even pressure to the layup and remove most of the excess resin in the process. The result is a very light and very thin flexible part. The layers of cloth are compacted far thinner than any wet layup could ever produce.

Aircraft parts are usually made with vacuum bagging using pre-impregnated cloth and require a huge oven to cure the resin. The parts are further heated and cooled to temper and final cure the resin. That is aerospace $$$ and beyond the little Z-car's budget.

Will typical open wheel (sprint midget bodies) we use very thin fiber glass. We have hoods that have survived a racer car flipping and quite a ride. They are thin and flexible. Throwing a door shell on top of one from a datsun didn't even harm it. Just flexed. Yet it is still stiff enough to keep from flapping in the wind.

• 3 months later...

I agree with most everything said here! I really think there would be a market for one part carbon fenders with matching air dam and a real carbon hood and real carbon hatch. If you can match with full real carbon doors, or even glass ones, like Mack is supposed to be making. I think you could shave so much weight it is unreal.

I would be highly interested in some complete cf doors...not skins... with mounting for windows and cranks etc. I like the beta hood and hatch and would like a door to match. The full headlight and fender idea would be excellent.

• 8 months later...

Plenty of people have CF parts painted and plenty of people leave fiberglass unpainted for a long time. I'll tell you if it's something like a air dam I wouldn't even bother painting it until it was so out of shape it needed repairs. Even then I would use some cheap rattle can.

See I wonder why people paint a piece like that, when in a couple years it may have the complexion of Edward James Olmos. That may have a bit to do with location, in the Winter months the roads here are covered in pea gravel.

There is a solution for CF/Fiber glass air dams - clear bra. If you want to keep the paint on your air damn this stuff is pretty amazing. 3M is one of the better product out there but there are others. Works with cones too ;)