HybridZ

NEW.... Composite ideas!

azcarbum

• Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The major reason that myself as well as a fellow z driver friend of mine have not dropped money on CF parts yet is the fact that one company does not make all the wanted parts in REAL carbon fiber. We dont want any FG on any of the parts. Also the reason for buying all from the same place is so the weave will be the same and match on every panel. Plus last person selling CF tail light sections made them with VERY poor tolerances. I would love to buy as much of the car as I can in CF if it is ONLY CF and fitment is perfect.

All my composites fit as best as I can possibly make it on a 30+ yr old car. I haven't had any complaints from my IMSA or Gnose kits... As for CF, All the CF we use is nothing but the real stuff.

I can tell you this, the 4 ply CF tail we just tested, was about $300 worth of CF. Now to bring down the cost, 3ply will be sufficiant.... and we don't use FG in a CF part, thats just stupid and a was of weight and time.

So as a Z buff myself, I try hard to give everyone nothing less that what I'd want.... BUT, if you want the real stuff, you do always end up paying for it, as its not cheap!

PS: just a note about CF prices..... Boeing is buying up all the CF for thier new jumbo planes for the next 4yrs. We can expect prices on this stuff to go up, just like it did the last time they did this.

Edited by azcarbum

It looks like most like the idea's I put forth.. And I'm liking all the other idea's being thrown in.

I'll put forth the info to my composite builder.... I'm thinking we may start with the easy stuff first.

Well If you go with a HVAC panel first I would probably be down for one, if they are a reasonable price.

You probably have already seen the CAD files, http://forums.hybridz.org/index.php/topic/87446-brad-ds-laser-cut-hvac-and-gauge-panel/.

I wouldn't want the HVAC slots though.

What about 280ZX body parts. I have the molds for this car:

Paul Newman Datsun 280ZX

Front fender molds, rear flare molds, front bumper and air dam molds. I also have 5 of the ZXR whale tail style rear spoilers. 2 are original made from a rubber material, and I have three that are fiberglass that two were used on this car. The last is a new fiberglass one setup for racing.

Here are some more:

Sharp280ZX.JPG

vgv_1115156054_280zx1.jpg

3089001252_2df72afe10.jpg

Edited by z-ya

And they make matching fenders, headlight buckets, doors and tail light panels? Did not think so.

You can buy 5 pieces from 5 different suppliers and they will all match perfectly, as soon as they come out of the paint booth. I just don't understand the obsession with nude cf. Put some freakin paint on it! My $.02

You can buy 5 pieces from 5 different suppliers and they will all match perfectly, as soon as they come out of the paint booth. I just don't understand the obsession with nude cf. Put some freakin paint on it! My $.02

Plenty of people have CF parts painted and plenty of people leave fiberglass unpainted for a long time. I'll tell you if it's something like a air dam I wouldn't even bother painting it until it was so out of shape it needed repairs. Even then I would use some cheap rattle can.

See I wonder why people paint a piece like that, when in a couple years it may have the complexion of Edward James Olmos. That may have a bit to do with location, in the Winter months the roads here are covered in pea gravel.

Edited by goodoldjam

The major reason that myself as well as a fellow z driver friend of mine have not dropped money on CF parts yet is the fact that one company does not make all the wanted parts in REAL carbon fiber. We dont want any FG on any of the parts. Also the reason for buying all from the same place is so the weave will be the same and match on every panel. Plus last person selling CF tail light sections made them with VERY poor tolerances. I would love to buy as much of the car as I can in CF if it is ONLY CF and fitment is perfect.

But you have to remember you and your fellow z driver are a small minority. Alot of people on here are more worried for price. It was the same thing when I asked why some members on here would buy replica seats over the real ones. Real CF costs ALOT. Are the wieght reductions worth it? probably not. Also, most vendors are probably not willing to put R&D into something that will sell in small numbers.