HybridZ

Starting my "A" Pillar Pod Gauge Mount

Derek

Allrighty then.

Since i had so much fun doing my Kick panel speaker pods I decided it was time to start my pillar pod mount.

I started out making a drawing of the pillar profile with a contour gauge. I then cut a test piece of the contour and pushed it in place. It took 5 tries to get a fit I was happy with. I then carved out a piece of plastic that was the length of the pillar.

Here is a shot of the 5 profiles and the finished pillar blank.

DSC_0013.jpg

I heated the blank and clamped it to the pillar. Here is the piece after it cooled. It had a lot more twist in it than I thought.

DSC_0015.jpg

The I used an epoxy clay to pick up the top and bottom details.

DSC_0016.jpg

The top section will go up behind the sun visor mount. This will be the top attatchment.

DSC_0017.jpg

I'm hoping for friction and pressure to serve as the bottom mount.

DSC_0018.jpg

Then I carved a couple of basic pods just to use as visuals to get the placement.

DSC_0022.jpg

The finished mockup

DSC_0028.jpg

You can see the mount holes for the visor in the clay. This will come in handy down the road.

DSC_0029.jpg

Tune in to my next installment and you'll see how I turn this lump of plastic shizit into a thing of beauty!

Thanks

Derek

Edited by Derek

I love everything you do. Do you mind me asking what you do for a living? Your fab skills are the best I have seen.

Thanks guys.

Well technically this is what I do for a living. I'm a pattern maker for the sand casing industry. The vacuum form patterns are very similar to the foundry patterns I do. Also this type of prototyping is an area that I work in as well. Before I was a pattern maker I did very high end stainless steel and aluminum fabrication for very wealthy people.... I'm much happier now!

As far as the steering column covers. Maybe. I'll have to see how demand goes for some of this stuff.

Derek

Had to do a little 3D scanning today so I figured I'd do the pillar mockup. Well actually I wanted to scan the pillar mockup so i came up with some other stuff to scan while I was at it!

Here is my scanning rig. It's a Nextengine 3D laser scanner. It's a two part method in that it takes a picture and has a laser scanning device. It attaches the picture to the mesh as a texture.

Here it is shooting the "Freekin LAser" on to the model. The model is on a turntable. It takes 360 degrees of scans and weaves them into one.

DSC_0035.jpg

Here is another angle.

DSC_0030.jpg

This is 18 scans done at 2 different heights with the texture applied.

scan1.jpg

Just the mesh.

scan2.jpg

Next I'll bring that mesh into my 3D design program and use it as a reference to create the surfaces that will be the pillar pod mount.

Derek

Looking good as usual! Looks like you're going to make along term buyer out of me.

I haven't had a chance to install the kick panel yet, but when I do, I'll post pics to vouch for the awesome craftsmanship.

Thanks Tyler.

I'm the Pusher man!

I hope your interior looks better than nullbounds and mine

Why not scan a stock pillar with your 3D setup and add pods to that?

Cuz the cars too big to fit on the turntable!

The scanner uses multiple scans to get all the data and then stitches them together. I had thought about trying to position the scanner on an arm inside the car but quickly came to the conclusion that it would suck. This method allowed me to manually place the pods and really get a decent feel as to how it will layout. It will still probably take a couple tries to get it right but it's going to be close.

Derek

Oh I meant the stock Z A pillar plastic.

Zs do have one right?

(I haven't had mine running in 3 yrs so I don't remember ='( )

S30's have vinyl with foam backing placed over the metal frame. I think the 280zx's had plastic but at least the earlier s30's don't have plastic a later 78 might have plastic I'm not sure.

As far as the steering column covers. Maybe. I'll have to see how demand goes for some of this stuff.

Derek

I have been trying to get many members on here with the materials,skill and know how to do just that, for awhile now. I will soon try and make my own by floral foam carving, then fiberglass, But, if it was made by someone eith this type of expertise, Hint, Hint????

• 1 month later...

I know at least 77-78 280z's have a plastic a-pillar cover not sure about earlier years or if this piece is something that could be used on earlier years. Interested though if the currently designed parts will fit on later cars...

Well I wish I had known this before but I'm so far in now I might as well keep working with what I have.

Derek

how is she comming along derek? i did go look at my 280z and it does had a plastic panel :o

would this be difficult to ad another gauge to it? maybe offer a 2 and 3 gauge pod?

It's going slowwwwwwww!

This is going to be a bit of a tricky piece to form. I'm kind of waiting until I have some more experience with the vacuum former before I proceed. But i've had enough requests that it will happen.

Derek