HybridZ

Sears Craftsman tool buyers be aware!

310z

This is an issue I had when buying tools online at Sears. Craftsman tools being sold on Sears web page that are not "Sears" Craftsman tools with the legendary life time warranty. Sears is allowing third party company's to sale tools on the Sears web page with the Craftsman name. I do not know how many of you may have run into this problem in the past but there probably will less Tundra owners and mechanics having this issue in the future. The tool was advertised on Sears Web page as a 2007-2010 Toyota Tundra oil filter wrench.

As many of us do our own maintenance on our vehicles. The Tundra needs a special socket (Flute Socket in size 65/14) to change the oil filter. I did not have this tool in the correct size, so living in the sticks I went to the easiest place to get the tool, on line. As most of my tools are "Sears" Craftsman brand I went to Sears on line. I found a Flute Socket with the Craftsman name etched on the tool in Sears Craftsman style of writing. The tool was the most expensive Flute Socket on the Sears tool page at $26.00, but, I wanted the Craftsman lifetime warranty from Sears so I paid the extra money. What I got delivered to me was a box from unbeatablesales.com with an OTC brand tool that does not state Craftsman on it anywhere and it is made in Taiwan. The tool does look like a well made tool but it is not what I ordered.

I contacted Sears via email for a return and asked if they would send me the Craftsman brand tool I ordered and if they could not provide the tool, I need a refund of my money including shipping for both directions. I received an email from Sears stating their return policy along with unbeatablesales.com return policy.

So, I called Sears and spoke to an associate and then an online supervisor who told me I did not buy from Sears. I emphasize that the tool I clicked on had the Sears Craftsman name on it and it was on their web page. The Sears supervisor informed me I bought a tool from a third party vendor that Sears allows to advertise on their site.

The supervisor informed me that anyone can put the Craftsman name on a tool. She also told me that the tool in question with the Craftsman name on it had been removed from their web page (If that is not enough evidence of admitting guilt, I don't know what is.). The Sears online supervisor after unknowingly admitting guilt on their part refused to deal with the issue. Stating that I would need to follow the return policy of Sears's third party online company, which required paying shipping for both directions and a 25% restocking fee.

The email I received from Sears stated you should be sure you actual want the product prior to purchase. This seemed a bit offensive as I clicked on a Craftsman tool at Sears that I do want, however the “Sears†Craftsman Flute Socket 65/14 tool is not available from Sears with the legendary life time warranty. Sears is acting as a middleman for some third party companies and falsely selling parts as Craftsman tools. I suggest in store purchases only for Sears Craftsman tools so you actually see and have in your hand what you are buying. Sears online site has proven it’s self as untrustworthy and unwilling to back up the mistakes they have made.

So, in over one week and many emails, Sears has only removed the falsely advertised product. They have made absolutely no effort or mention of correcting the issue with me, the customer.

So ramming a Craftsman Screwdriver through the filter to drain/break it free and then using the big Craftsman water-pump pliers to twist it off the rest of the way is still a proper method using known warranty-able tool usage?

Whew!

Pretty sure the tundra filters are not a screw on filter Tony ;)

That's really disappointing to hear! I have all craftsman tools for the same exact reason. I'm mostly a hobbiest, so I don't need the absolute best tools money can buy, but I am willing to pay for a quality tool that has the warranty to back it up.

It's nice knowing that if it fails I'll be able to have it replaced at no cost to me!

Edited by cockerstar

Well watch out for Snap On as well. When I was a mechanic (yes we were mechanics back then) I purchased many a Snap on tool. I broke a 1/2" too 3/8" impact adapter a couple of months ago and tracked down my local dealer where I was informed that the warranty was limited (never heard that when I was writing those checks) and he wasn't required to replace it. I took it to a friend of mine who owns a garage and he got it replaced by the same dealer. So The Snap on warranty is lifetime as long as your buying tools and after that your on your own!

"anyone can put the Craftsman name on a tool"

HA! Not only will they not prosecute copyright infringement but they'll even go as far as to support it!

he wasn't required to replace it

Well the Snap-On lifetime warranty is hardly legendary... :/

Get used to it (sad to say). We are on the fast train now in this "once" great country, to where getting a good USA made quality tool is almost impossible any more.... :(

Nothing is built with real quality anymore. We sold our old school metal heavy as hell vacuum years back and have been through a new vacuum about every year since then, biggest mistake ever. All because it's hard to argue with a cheap asian brand that's a fraction of the price. We know it, the USA companies sure know it, so one by one they're selling out.

I'm trying to get more Snap-On stuff because the quality really is proving to live up to the hype in most cases, I'm just wary because I know the support isn't there if and when something should need to be replaced. I'm sure if you bring them a broken ratchet they'll try to say you used it wrong or didn't grease it daily and so it's your fault it failed. I brought 4 ratchets back to sears that I had dropped in the ocean, got all new ones with no question--and they haven't even made the ones I returned in years. I try to get snap-on stuff from ebay though because I don't have a guy anyway, plus on their website I've noticed that sometimes the pictures aren't right. I've also bought some decent stuff from ATS and they have pretty good service. One thing wasn't like the picture and they refunded me but just let me keep it anyway.

I see so many legal issues here. They just said they don't care if somebody uses their logo? That anybody can copyright? This is very disapointing. I would be contacting corperate offices.

Hell, go to the media, online news or something. They would love a reason to bash anything. Give them one. Call back, request the records of the conversations so you have voice data. Give the emails and the recordings to the news.

When I requested the records of phone conversations and sent emails to people at Advance Auto I ended up getting my money fully refunded. They were refusing to refund my money for a mistake they had made. I wasn't having it. I think you should show that you care. More people need to take action when big corperations such as Sears try to screw us little guys. Stick it to the man for all practical purposes.

It's a bit tricky even trying to figure out their warranty on lifetime Craftsman brand tools. Some Craftsman hand tools only come with a one year warranty for instance, no electrical tools are covered and the tools that are branded as "Sears" or "Companion" of course don't have a lifetime warranty. Then they have their newer Evolv line (replaced the Sears line) which are warrantied for life, but only if you have the original reciept. After reading a few recent online complaints about local stores not honoring warranties, it seems that the lower ranked employees don't necessarily know what the rules are for properly dealing with unsatisfied customers. If you could, try and go as high as you can with this one.

On a side note, I own two vacuum cleaners from ca. 1950-1960, both all metal and each still works perfectly. Picked them up at thrift stores for next to nothing. I can still buy belts and bags for them at most any well stocked store, including Wal-Mart. Beats the alternative that I've seen time and time again of watching the new plastic vacs die short and sudden deaths.

Wondering why they would go through a 3rd party for their online tools. Is it a high percentage of their online tools? Is it only for specialty tools like you ordered?

Confusing...

What it comes down to is false advertising. At the bottom of the Sears web page I was on there were tools that appear and are clearly listed as "tools others buyers who looked at this tool, also looked at these other tools, from other manufactures". The tool advertised that I purchased looked exactly like what I received except there was no Craftsman name etched on it like in the picture. Prior to opening the box that said OTC (the tool brand)on the outside of the box, I thought Sears was just having the tool drop shipped from the factory that Sears uses to manufacturer their tools. I thought the tool would be a Craftsman tool when I opened the box. I don't think it is Sears intention to falsely advertise products, so it is probably more of a fluke issue. An issue they were willing to correct on their web page but not with the customer that pointed out the error.

As for the name Craftsman, they have to have the copyright on that name to use it exclusively as Sears does. I think the online supervisor I spoke to was completely wrong in her statement of use of the Craftsman name. She seemed flustered and had no knowledge of how to deal with the issue other than to spout generic company lines. If Sears was innocent in this issue, Sears should be as up set as I am about someone using their name especially on the Sears web page. I sent Sears the letter I posted here in hopes that they may gain a deeper understanding of the issue. The response I received was a generic(We are sorry you are unhappy with your purchase and hope you will continue to shop with us). WHAT?

You want to try buying stuff in the US if you are overseas. Some suppliers are brilliant, others when they make a mistake and send you the wrong part will do absolutely nothing or else rip you on freight charges. Anyway I've had a gutful of the dodgy ones and am referring any problems to the US Federal Trade Commission, see what they do. I get the impression that the US banks who seem to have got away with financial murder recently have set a dangerous precedent that some others in business are following. Then again I may be talking illinformed nonsense :)

Owatonna Tool Company (a.k.a. "OTC") is hardly a 'cheap overseas brand'... My friend's wife has a direct link to that company: "Uncle Buzz" loved to fly and started a small company in Minnesota which ended up being known as "OTC".

Personally, I would rate the quality of OTC far above what I would rate "Craftsman". It's the same league (back in the day) as Snap-On or Matco. Now Craftsman is made (in some cases) in Taiwan. So is Snap On and many others.

Racist ratings of foundry and metalwork really doesn't accomplish anything. You guys are right up there with such enlightened societies like Saudi-Aramco who puts in 24pt Bold Type on their purchase contracts 'NO CHINESE CONTENT'...

Sure, fine, they pay $12 million for a piece of equipment that they could otherwise get for 1/3 that price. They put their money where their mouth is...

But we're talking about an oil filter wrench here.

Were you willing to spend 3X what you did to get a KNOWN 'made in usa' tool? Were you willing to pay that for something that likely will not perform any better or last any longer that what you currently have for what you paid?

In most cases, the answer is 'no'... So let's go out of business offering the best at a price accordingly.

I personally think this is a lot of bluster for dubious reasons. It's an oil filter wrench that works. If it doesn't work, if it fell apart when you used it...that's one thing. But how much did you pay for this thing again....and how much did the other ones you looked at cost again?

I completely quit with the brand name bullshiat. I have a friend who is a Snap-On dealer. He and I have some funny conversations about quality and value. There are reasons to buy ~some~ high end tools, even for a home mechanic. I have realized that I do not need the best tools for 99% of what I buy. I like nice ratchets, screwdrivers, cutting tools, and nice side cuuting pliers and linesman's pliers. Everything else I get is the cheap stuff.

I have purchased "Harbor Frieght" pliers that bent and sheet metal cutters that break. All in all I have been very satisfied with HF's customer service and returns policy. Most of the specialty tools I buy, I have few choices of brands.

I do not like Sears anymore either. Their selection and quality has gone down hill. They do not support products like they used to. Most of the power tools are "re-branded" cheapo makes that are marked up through the roof.

I have to agree with BJ on the Name Brand stuff. There is SOME stuff that I buy brand name because I like the way it feels, or it honestly does the job better than something cheaper (Snap-On Box Ends will fit where others won't...)

But I stopped the Snap-On Worship when I paid $105 for their die grinder (it's part number at the time ended with "105")

It got dropped on the floor and the air chuck broke off. No warranty there. Out of curiosity I bought a Harbor Freight Die Grinder that looked identical. Other than having 'Central Pneumatic' on it it seemed identical. Then I noticed the stamped 'japan' in the body. Damn it looked similar. Could it be...nah, never! I mean that one was $105, and this HF one was only $19...

So I did what anybody would do: took them apart. Damn if the bearings werent the same NTN bearings, the rotor assembly had the same number stamped on the end... For all I could see the internal rotating parts of the air motor were IDENTICAL between the $19 HF model and the $105 Snap On model. Colletts seemed identical, and BOTH seemed to burn out in our plant usage in about 6 months. (Vane Packet gone...)

Sooooooo, that was the last time I bought a Snap-On Pneumatic Die Grinder! Or most any other air tool from the brand name.

Same went for the Blue Point Grinders. I found they were nothing more than Rebranded Black and Decker Professional Series pieces in different boxes (with less accessories) and for 2 to 3X the cost.

I'll buy from the manufacturer, thankyouverymuch. That pass-through private branding BS is some MBA in Kenosha milking product name recognition and inflating the prices paid for no other reason than to generate false profits from nothing material being produced. When their pass-throughs get discovered they get upset, but so then do their newly-enlightened customers. Great way to foster brand loyalty: screw the customer by marking up something 300%, and then not offering the same warranty the OEM does!

But we digress...

Agree that brand names no longer mean much at all, except that usually there is a premium price involved. It looks like a lot of current brand name operators are running on their past reputation, charging accordingly while minimumising consumer benefit and maximumising profits. So I either buy cheap tools or else whatever has the best warranty at a reasonable price if there is a choice.

On 310z's problem, the quality of the substituted item is not the point. He was presuaded that he was going to get a certain branded item but got something else. If the persuasion amounts to misleading advertising or deception then that is usually contary to the law.

On my little problem involving a certain multi national US company, the US Federal Trade Commission sorted it quick smart. Thankyou America :)