HybridZ

My 240z T31 moving to colorado?

Well Im getting ready to go to school at Colorado State.

I guess my question is, do 240z's with built motors and turbocharges play nice witht elivation diffrence and weather?

I know it snows a lot there and there will be salt on the raod as a result, so at first it seems to me that the car should stay here in sugarland/houston,TX.

Seems to me its going to sit 9 mounths out of the year.

Also after some resurch i found that Colorado only has 91 pump gas, this alone will mean a retune.

Any pointers of info would help here, thanks.

Turbochargers and superchargers were originally used to help engines cope with higher altitudes. In that regard it will be fine. However, driving an old car like that on salted roads is no good. After saltings, leave the car parked in a garage. Drive a beater

You might be able to find most of this info with Google searches. For instance, Colorado uses Magnesium Chloride which is a different sort of salt than most places use in the winter. There are all sorts of sites that talk about the differences. A simple search for "turbochargers at altitude" yields plenty of pertinant results too. Even Wikipedia has a decent explanation for why lower octane ratings are offered for fuels in states with high elevations.

I lived in Colorado for several years and spent time in Ft Collins. Ft. Collins gets really cold like the kind of cold that snaps interior/exterior plastic pieces. After a huge dump of snow over night, I left a friends house in the morning and jumped on the highway. I was flying along at highway speeds when POP, like a gun shot, The dashboard of my integra snapped right down the middle from the heat gradient. Plan on replacing your windshield at least once from flying rock chips or until you do what the locals do and rock the crazy cracked up windshield. I don't want to go on and on. I will just say Ft. Collins is no place for a nice old z IMO.

Bonk

I live in Colorado and my Z stays in the garage when the snow starts. Usually from December to the end of March. Although last night I did drive it down to Denver to the Z car club meet because it was a really nice day. So the weather here can vary wildly. I would never recommend driving a Z in the snow. I'd bet it would be a handful! Also the mag chloride doesnt seem any better than salt as far as rust goes. My work van has surface rust all over the frame.

well a couple of points:

The Salt on the roads is not much worse than the Salt in the air around houston from the Gulf. If your car is old and not well painted, it'll rust on both locations. though, the Magneseum chloride is supposed to be better for cars that regular road salt. It's important to get it washed off asap in either case.

The Altitude Difference isn't high enough to really make a difference, especially on a turbo'd car; the ECU should compensate for the difference if you're running a MAF anyway.

Next, Well I don't know how well you drive, but Z's are whole different beasts in Snow than they are on dry/wet roads. Especially if you have a lot of torque, I'd tell you to be careful. I know you hardly ever get snow in Houston.

Aside from those, you should be fine driving your Z in Colorado on good weather days. I'd suggest buying a Jeep or a truck to get around Colorado in the winter. You'll have a lot less troubles just in general. It's your car though. Your risk. I guarantee though there will be nice days out that you'll miss your Z.

I don't know why you need a truck in snow country - unless you NEED a truck... Small, light vehicles work best in the snow and mass over the drive wheels helps - neither of which describe most pickups. Growing up in Idaho, most of the pickup owners would load the bed with sandbags during the winter to get some weight over the rear wheels. Otherwise, just get used to "drifting" as the back end slides every time you apply throttle. (We did a LOT of that growing up! We just didn't know it was "drifting". We called it driving on the snow and ice or on the dirt / gravel roads. Driving sideways was a way fo life...)

I doubt you'd be driving as much or as far in Fort Collins as you do in Texas - it's not that big a place...

When the weather is nice, there's NOTHING like driving a car that turns well on back-roads over the Continental Divide! You won't find anything in Texas like the Rockies... (No Z's back then but I helped my Dad ferry new '66 Mustangs from the Ford Dealership in Idaho Falls to Jackson Hole, Wyoming. What a drive.) Now I have to settle for taking my 260 up the winding 2-lane road from Apache Junction to the canyon lakes near the Superstition Mountains east of Phoenix. Not quite the same, but this Z sure can turn!

The snow isn't so bad down here in southern Colorado, even then we haven't been getting a lot lately, You really only have to worry about the crazy weather in the spring and that only lasts a month or 2. There are a few guys on here that live in Colorado and a few in Fort Collins (which is a pretty nice place, haven't spent a lot of time there.) Colorado has a pretty nice car culture depending on where you live, down here in the springs its pretty popular to see tuned street machines since we don't have any emissions laws down here, but farther north like Denver they aren't as common too my knowledge at least. Any car can do good in the snow if you know how to drive it well in the snow and buy appropriate tires. Also I believe in some places they lay down sand on the snow for traction, but its most likely a sand/salt mixture.

Usually when the snow gets bad enough its just best not to drive anyways because chances are someone will slide into you. Its best to have a beater for the winter that you don't mind that gets banged up. Also another thing to consider is that the springs storms can get pretty bad up in the fort collins/foothills area, Thats usually where the Hail, Tornadoes, Snow, etc is the worst. I'm sure some of the Z guys from northern Colorado will chime in.

When the weather is nice, there's NOTHING like driving a car that turns well on back-roads over the Continental Divide! You won't find anything in Texas like the Rockies... (No Z's back then but I helped my Dad ferry new '66 Mustangs from the Ford Dealership in Idaho Falls to Jackson Hole, Wyoming. What a drive.) Now I have to settle for taking my 260 up the winding 2-lane road from Apache Junction to the canyon lakes near the Superstition Mountains east of Phoenix. Not quite the same, but this Z sure can turn!

+1 I usually drive a 73 VW super beetle through the Garden of the gods every few nights or when I feel like it, Its a great drive not usually a lot of traffic and the corners are lots of fun in a light RR layout car. I can't wait till I can finish the Z and take it for a drive through the twisty's as well. B)

Thanks for the information.

I'll bw leaving the 240 here...lol, my dad and brothers can enjoy it for a bit.

I'll be living in Denver, so a truck is likely my best option (4x4) after the advice and information is considered.

That's awesome to here that there is a tuner/car seen in Colorado I was worried I would get home sick with bot hearing a turbo spool,burn out,fly by...you get the idea.

i drove my turbo 240z in the snow for a bit....not too bad...but not much fun....you definately had to plan a route. now i have the subaru...i couldn't imagine driving the z in the stuff i take the subie in. there are a number of Zs here in denver...a few turbo. mines been under resto for a little while...but there are usually get togethers at high plains raceway (road course) and bandimere (1/4 mile) for both subies and Zs...sadly, i have yet to attend a z meet.

I would urge you not to get a 4x4 truck, they simply are not that great in the snow because the bed is usually unloaded. I used to have a 4x4 Tahoe and thought that was the bomb until I got snow tires for the wife's minivan. That thing could drive circles around the Tahoe in the snow! Stayed planted the entire time and braked way better! Conclusion: Snow tires are way more important than 4x4.

If you are going to be in downtown Denver you really dont need a car any way. Public transportation is pretty good in Denver.

I would urge you not to get a 4x4 truck, they simply are not that great in the snow because the bed is usually unloaded. I used to have a 4x4 Tahoe and thought that was the bomb until I got snow tires for the wife's minivan. That thing could drive circles around the Tahoe in the snow! Stayed planted the entire time and braked way better! Conclusion: Snow tires are way more important than 4x4.

cough - toldyouso - cough... :rolleyes:

Altitude and octane go hand in hand. You shouldn't need a retune (from what I'm assuming is a tune for 93), because you won't be making as much boost at altitude.

The difference in air pressure from Sugar Land, TX (82 ft) and Denver, CO (5200 ft) is about 2.5PSI, meaning that the pressure ratios in the compressor map for your turbo are going to be cut down in multiples of 2.5 (e.g. where the pressure ratio was 2 before meant 14.5PSI, now it means 12PSI, 3 before meant 29PSI, now it means 24PSI, etc).

I haven't the slightest how this "snow" stuff works, though. If a single flake sticks to the ground here in Albuquerque, the city is paralyzed and all the businesses are closed. :lol:

Edited by Jehannum

I lived in Denver for years and had both a 240 and 280. The 240 would run on regular gas in Denver and needed premium in Houston but that was in 1977. All Zs are a handful on snow and ice the IRS makes the rear want to wonder around and will spin out if you do not pay attention. Eastern Colorado has 320 day of sun shine a year so it is not constant snow. You will be in school living close to campus and have a bunch of friends to get a ride from so go for it and enjoy school.

I lived in Denver for years and had both a 240 and 280. The 240 would run on regular gas in Denver and needed premium in Houston but that was in 1977.

Bingo. Higher altitude makes for less cylinder filling, which means less cylinder pressure (and temperature) therefore reducing the tendency to knock.