HybridZ
jack280

Top chop update

Fantastic chop!

Im still waiting for someone to pull this off with a more modern window seal. Im not talking about just the windshield. It would be nice to see the side windows and front window flush the body line, rather than stay recessed. The drip rail to be also deleted. Not saying you should, Id say you are trying to be quite modest and its working very well for you, and by far better than all the others Ive seen so far. I understand the feat of doing what Im asking as well. Ive attempted it once and seen it done with some success once as well.

Over-all you've got an awesome piece of work there!

Fantastic chop!

Im still waiting for someone to pull this off with a more modern window seal. Im not talking about just the windshield. It would be nice to see the side windows and front window flush the body line, rather than stay recessed. The drip rail to be also deleted. Not saying you should, Id say you are trying to be quite modest and its working very well for you, and by far better than all the others Ive seen so far. I understand the feat of doing what Im asking as well. Ive attempted it once and seen it done with some success once as well.

Over-all you've got an awesome piece of work there!

Blacking out the chrome helps a lot, it brings the windows into the body visually and creates less of an outline around them. Especially if the car is a dark color.

When you modernize the front windscreen seal, you also have to do the other window seals. My opinion is that when you are modifying something, that mod has to fit in the whole design, removing driprails for example is used for a design from the nineteens. The s30 is still an old design, when you want it to look good, than you need a very good plan before you start the mod.

Greetz Jack.

Hoi Jack,

Ik zie dat je uit veghel komt.

Ik zelf kom uit rosmalen en ben bezig met een Datsun 260z 2+2

Ik heb hem ook maximaal verlaagd en verbreed etc.

Mijn auto staat momenteel bij de spuiter.

Ik ben erg benieuwd naar jouw project en zou graag een keer willen komen kijken.

Groeten Robin

This chop looks insanely good; most others I've seen looked like trash.

It gives it a much smoother curve, instead of jumping up so much at the windshield. I wish I was competent enough for this sort of thing (though the Z looks good by default anyway!).

That said... how did you perform this chop? Did you cut a cross-section of the roof out somewhere above the quarter window, and slide the entire roof back? Also, you are using the stock windshield and a custom quarter window... how about the door windows?

Jack love your car and are on the same page with your color choices of silver or grey, as I am currently pondering which of the two. I have become very fond of the 12' BMW space grey, and also the 07' Subaru urban grey. Really can't go wrong with the curves and lines of the s30. Check them out if you are not familiar with them.

Hey guys, progres is slowly at this time. I was searching for parts to complete the project and fabricating the frame for the quarter glass.

Has anybody some pics or links from other top chop s30 projects.

Thanks

None that look good.

Unlike yours, which looks like absolute sex. Phenominal work, Mate!

Here is an update from the corrections i made on the rear wheel ach and suspension member

post-2137-0-29843300-1368902671_thumb.jpg

I had to put extra weight in the trunk to simulate the complete car when finnished.

post-2137-0-74029200-1368903669_thumb.jpg

post-2137-0-19630800-1368903653_thumb.jpg

This is the ride height with 240z shocks and Jim Cook racing springs in a 260z body with high shock towers.

post-2137-0-10865800-1368903696_thumb.jpg

post-2137-0-79739300-1368903931_thumb.jpg

post-2137-0-06293700-1368903955_thumb.jpg

Put an engine in for a test fit

post-2137-0-53338300-1368904069_thumb.jpg

Have Fun, greedz Jack

Nothing not to like in this! The guy is a true artist.. A crafstman of the old style molding and panel beating.. But only in his 30's.

Actually the pictures dont do it justice.. The attention to detail in this is jawdropping. Its perfection.. Haha Jack is like a monk.. Haha see,s like woring on the car is meditating.

Edited by frank280zx

Hey Jack280, Im dying to see pre-op pictures!

I can somewhat make out what you did, but not completely.

Its been a while since I read completely through your thread, but I remember searching for pictures of you cutting it up and I could not find anything. Yours is the cleanest looking chop top Ive seen ever seen. If your willing to share your secrets Im sure Im not the only one that's curious where you made your mods.

Ray

Edited by rayaapp2

I could not find any pics from nissan mount fuji blue, so i bought some paint to make a color test on some parts and a scale model. 

It is very hard to get the color right on the picture, but the scale model comes close to reality. I can try to make some better pics by daylight fom the car.

post-2137-0-47104500-1370287894_thumb.jpg

home made airdam

post-2137-0-28534200-1370287928_thumb.jpg

billet aluminum rims with 18" ferrari f50 front tyres

post-2137-0-10051100-1370287944_thumb.jpg

post-2137-0-32316300-1370287998_thumb.jpg

first pics in the workshop

Greetings Jack

Haha thats some nice dutch.. However lets be friendly to the host and latter part of the readers of this forum.. And make sure all can read it;

'Looks very good jack, I sure hope to run into it in the flesh some day!'

Edited by frank280zx