HybridZ

what to do to kill a zo6

Guest tejas74260

you know, if there is the event that you do get beat by a zo6, i wouldn't sweat it because that person paid 52k for it and i paid about 850 for my car, so im sure if i met that price with modifications my car would probably exit the atmosphere into outer space. anybody think that a NA carbureted car with N20 could have some of that can of whoop ass?

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

This is a little wild but is 650HP do able with a seriously modded L28. I'm talkin as if the L28 is milled out of Aluminum' date=' and twin turboed (T3/T4 turbos). Would that be to much power to drift with?. How nice it would be to blow by a GT3 or Lambo in a 280ZX. Worthy of drooling if you ask me.[/quote']

For 650 hp, you'd be better off with an RB or V8. It'll cost you thousands less.

Amen to that!! Can't expect 25 year old (actually 34 since it came out in '70) technology to compare with the new stuff. Nissan spent tens of thousands of dollars (probably $100k plus) in development of the RB. Shoot, a couple hair dryers on an LS1/6 will get you there, too! Probably way more reliable and powerful than any L series could hope to be and someone else has already done all the work to dial that type of setup in. Just my 2 cents.

Could you beat a Z06? Yes. But you guys are comparing apples to oranges... One day in a C5' date=' ANY C5 would change your minds about the car forever. A couple of guys on this board own them and, Not unlike the Z, if modified (Rather inexpensive to do so), you get into another whole ball game.

Plus, I'm sorry, but the interior of the Z, the Size of the Z, and a couple of other factors absolutely put it behind the C5 in my mind. I've owned Zs every year since 1987, and I love them. But there is no comparison, and to truly understand what I'm getting at, you gotta spend some time in the C5.

And don't get me started on resale... I can't unload my "Priceless" Z to save me, which is why I still have it... 'Cause lord knows I've tried... No, If I had the choice, I'd have another Vette sitting in the garage as a project, or buy myself a sedan and use my current daily driver Vette as the playtoy.

Yea, a Z can beat a vette... :roll:

Mike[/quote']

I'm glad you still have the Z Mike! I remember back when I was still investigating the engine swap, your articles were like the bible! And priceless is right, my car may not be able to beat a Z06, but at least it's not a run of the mill, production, anyone with money can buy one, car :twisted:

gexgexgexgex,

That's why I agree with Rick Bowers, it's my car the way I want it and it's fast. Don't know if I could drive from California to Florida though...You just have to be willing to spend the money, sure you can get a fast car from the dealer, but so can my neighbor Ed....And for me, it's all street. No point in beating a street car with a race car.

Edit:

Not that I mean street racing, I mean racing a street Z06 in a track-only car is meaningless to compare.

Owen

I would like to see posts like "What do I need to do to make my car.... so I'm happy with it.

I don't know... Maybe if I had driven my V8 Z in the last oh Three years, I wouldn't be so down on it. But there has to be something to be said for being able to get in and drive your car, intead of working on it all the time, or making it go via human power.

Make your car the way you want it, and don't worry about beating X car... Soon as you hit that mark, you'll need to set your sights higher... And to the youngsters in the group... Yea, you maynot think much of the creature comforts now, but trust me, the older you get, the more you will want them... I'll be 38 next Wednesday, and they mean more an more every year... I'm gonna go drive my "run of the mill, everybody owns one" Vette home from work now! :roll:

Mike 8)

Been getting in mine every day for the past year. Twist key and it goes "MAZDA!" You know, vroom, vroom, vroom :-D

Never once have I had the 'click' of death or any other drive train problem. The only wrench time I've had on the car since I got the engine in it was to install the strut tower braces, roll bar, and retorque the headers a couple times.

well I don't want a run of the mill engine. Maybe have the L28 cast in aluminum.or one guy said it would be possible to mill an engine block out out of solid aluminum via CNC machine. bigger intake holes larger exhaust holes bored to 3.1L. the possibilities are endless when you go that custom.

well I don't want a run of the mill engine. Maybe have the L28 cast in aluminum.or one guy said it would be possible to mill an engine block out out of solid aluminum via CNC machine. bigger intake holes larger exhaust holes bored to 3.1L. the possibilities are endless when you go that custom.

You must have a bill gates sized wallet. to CNC a entire block out of aluminum would be very very expencive. Not to mention the cost of doing all of the math putting the water chambers and everything were they need to be. I could be wrong though? who knows.

Driftn280, You have mentioned this twice now... I hate to break this to you, but you would have more money in the cost of the motor than you could go out and BUY any car within those means... Come up with an attainable goal, and use a powerplant that can A: Be serviced and or replaced with over the counter parts and B: Not be so unobtainable that you wouldn't want to drive it for fear of damaging it.

As has been posted before... Milling a new L series block out of aluminum would be outragiously expensive (If you could get someone to even do it) and there would be no guarantees of proper coolant and oil passage configuration or flow.

mike 8)

Milling a new L series block out of aluminum

Milling A new block? You'ld have to mill about a half-dozen.

The first will be screwed up in the milling process itself. The second will uncover problems in the CNC program. The third will uncover problems in the materials. The fourth will uncover problems in dimensions. The fifth will blow up on the dyno. And the sixth will finally be installed in a car, only to be blown up due to plumbing problems (oil, fuel, or coolant).

Despite the tremendous costs of fabricating a new block, what would the advantage be? It's not like you would get displacement like a V8, you'd still be using the L28 crank with it's disadvantage of length and harmonic vibration, and the stresses in an aluminum block are different, so the structure would have to be re-engineered to withstand them. OK, I'm a "naysayer".

I'm sorry if this sounds harsh, but WHY even THINK of milling a custom L6 block? Sure, you'd probably be able to expand it to 3.5 or 4.0 Liters, etc., but the cost would be in the $1,00,000 US dollar region for the engineering exercise of getting a result that was workable - especially if your joe-wrench and not involved in the automotive manufacturing world.

I think I have the answer to my question - it has to do with words like purism, Nissan-only design, etc. Please tell me I'm wrong. That line of thinking is so foreign to me and the reason for this site.

If you want it Nissan, do an RB or better yet a modded VQ35 that you can actually source parts for. Oh, I seriously doubt any stock-block-and-crank L engine will hold to 650hp for very long.

I keep talking about a milled L28 because its

A) so so original

B)lighter engine

C) ALuminum cools down way faster, good for high-RPM drifting :wink: .

650HP is too much eh. What do you think would happen? I've seen vids of 700HP supras drifting, how fast they were going I dunno. Even with 12 inch (275-295) wide rear tires you think that'd be too much power?

Guest ON3GO

and you deff dont need some 275 tires out back to drift too.

power isnt good for drifting, suspension and driver is.

unless your talking about just "powersliding"

mike

I keep talking about a milled L28 because its

A) so so original

Whatever. So you'd try to take an engine design that was never meant to hold even half of 650hp' date=' make it out of weaker and less stiff aluminum. By the time you got the internal block structure stiff and strong enough for 650hp, there wouldn't be room for a strong enough crankshaft, and it'd weigh as much as the iron block.

"so so original" - That's really funny! :roll:

B)lighter engine

Nope - not after the aluminum version was stiffened/strengthened to take 650hp for more than just a few minutes.... A shorter AL V6 would be much better for drifting - the idea is to get the polar moment of inertia down, and an L6 layout isn't going to help that. But a V6 wouldn't be so, so original, so I guess that's not a valid option.

C) ALuminum cools down way faster' date=' good for high-RPM drifting :wink: .[/quote']

A good cooling system on either engine would work fine. No real advantage there - considering the $$$ it'd take to build the custom AL block correctly.

650HP is too much eh. What do you think would happen? I've seen vids of 700HP supras drifting, how fast they were going I dunno.

The Supra block/crank/rods are WAY over engineered, unlike the L6 and 99.9% of the rest of the automotive engines built. The Mitsubishi 4G63 being another like the Supra engine.

Well... this is HybridZ. We can offer our opinions about someone's ideas but we don't criticize them. If drftn280zx2+2 wants to build an all aluminum L28 and is really going to make the effort - more power to him and we'll cheer the effort along. On the other hand, if drftn280zx2+2 is just "talking", then the discussion is really a waste of time.

I am merely stating possible ideas for my future project. Okay so if an Aluminum L6 isn't really the most logical way. Give me some ideas that would give me good power low weight (aluminum, something about this material makes it sophisticated, maybe because it's used on space equipment and top of the line state of the art cars). Now an even more radical idea that I don't has ever been done, is a Titanium engine. Here's the thing, I want my ZX, to be a ZX, with either ZX parts, or custom parts ,or after market performance accessories. You could say I'm all talk, and your right. I don't have any of the crazy mods I've listed (milled block, twin turbos, custom bodykits). They are simply ideas.This is tech talk isn't it, maybe a "little" dreamy but you gotta start somewhere or else you do have a foundation to build off. I'm in my brainstorming stage. Here's my plan (don't laugh, I'm serious about what I say). Okay I just graduated from high school (top of my class, not everyone gets a 4.2 overall GPA). I have been taking every class I can, to achieve my dream job. (3D-animation, top level Geometry, top level trig and pre-calc, top level drawing classes, architecture, top level physics you name it) and I got A's in every one of them. I've got the report cards to prove it.(i'll post pics if neccessary) I'm a geek I admit (but geeks make good money in the end right (i.e. Bill Gates). Anyways I've planned for 6years of college (2 at the local community college (basics) 2 at the local univ. (UNLV) get a degree in Mechanical Engineering :wink: , and minor in Industrial Design (i.e Automotive Design). And finally land a career either engineering for NISSAN or designing for them. Kinda all explains my chaotic dream machine Z eh. I've been involved with NISSAN in some shape or form since I was born no reason to quit on NISSAN now or later. (my dad has worked for NISSAN for 27years, been rated as one of the top 50 NISSAN Master techs in states twice it the past 3 years). I got the NISSAN craving from him.

Give me ideas people and we will discuss them. I'm open minded but not openly acceptive (i.e. i let others ideas in but don't necessary approve them to my liking, but will indefinently try to reach a consensus with you). I like the wild ideas usually as you can see.

One word of caution I don't want to build a muscle car, it must follow japanese style either old and new or just new (aka rice). Otherwise your free to give me better ideas. Enough yapping from me lets get some ideas cooking, I'm starvin!

This is the most useless thread jack I've ever seen on hybridz. If driftn wants to talk about pipe dreams like titanium engines I think he should start his own "Totally Unrealistic Ideas" thread. At least I can ignore that one without thinking there might be some relevant Z06 beating info on it.