HybridZ

what to do to kill a zo6

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Pretty tall order there... Z06s aren't to be taken lightly... At 3100# AND turning 12.4 in the 1/4 bone stock (And hardley any are left that way) plan to spend your children's college fund... It can be done, just won't be cheap!

Mike 8)

Whats the price of a Z06 and the price of a Datsun based Z06 killer.

Taking into consideration, labor cost, handling, 1/4mile, top speeds, and drivability, appearance, safety...Tall order, yes, but I bet a well built Z can be done for 3/4 the cost of the Z06...no warranty though sorry.

I am a turbo Z fan but you better go V8 or GN V6 if you a really going to go for it.

:lol:

Uh JOhn, I can jump in a Z06 and drive across country...Legally....and still knock down 12.4s and turn very impressive times at the road course... Ain't gonna be doing that in your sled bro! Bit if I had $31K...

Mike :lol:

Come on guys, it's been shown over and over here that getting a turbo Z to run faster than 12.4 doesn't require breaking the bank, and certainly don't require $30000 worth of car. (not to say John's car won't do it, and in impressive style at that!)

To use my car as an example, even though I am not running anywhere near low 12's in it. My conversion has a 660lbs weight advantage over the Z06. This is 21%, meaning that to achieve the same power to weight ratio I'd need 21% less power than the 405?hp Z06. 319hp. Hell we've got guys doing that on JY blocks and stock electronics around here. Now the bigger issue that power to weight in this case is going to be traction. An LSD will be mandatory, as will some pretty sticky tires.

320HP is achievable from a 280zxt engine (with 420ft/lbs of torque to boot) at a mile over sea level, with a T04B/T3 turbo, decent exhaust, some tuning, a quality intercooler, and a few other tweaks... just look at our friend sleeperZ here. That is a LOT of torque.

Throw in a LSD and some drag radials and you're most of the way there... and not at 3/4 the cost of a Z06 either.

YUP, Jerseys knocking down 12.4s now .. even with a stock L28T block and stock T3 turbo and stock electronics.. And I think it is his daily driver , I would be willing to guess he didnt spend anywhere near 45K to get these results... is it not Len? But spend some money and stick a turbo or or even laughing gas in a Z06.. That might be alittle more challenging to say the least. 8)

P.S I think James Thagard's time of 11.06 is a tad bit faster as well. And then there is 510SSS hitting high 10s with his 510L6 turbo

Buy my 240Z and beat Z06's at autocross.

And a top fuel dragster would nail it in a drag race' date=' but still the Z06 is a sweet road car.....I am waiting for the Blue Devil though!!![/quote']

Very true. But the look on their faces when you spank them with a Z by a pretty good margin is priceless.

Buy my 240Z and beat Z06's at autocross.

And a top fuel dragster would nail it in a drag race' date=' but still the Z06 is a sweet road car.....I am waiting for the Blue Devil though!!![/quote']

Very true. But the look on their faces when you spank them with a Z by a pretty good margin is priceless.

Oh I bet!!

No dought the Z06 is an increadable car but, the 240Z can still beat it and be a decent daily driver. Not that I'm in the low 12's or anything but, my best time of 12.9 and best MPH of 109 is not to far off the pace of the Z06 given the extra weight of the ZX and the crappy tires that I was running on. Slap a set of Corvette spec tires and a LSD that didn't have a zillion miles on it and I think a lower 12 second 1/4 could be achieved. Replace bushing, add coilovers, lighter rims and some more tuning could produce a car worthy of beating a Z06.

So there you have it. A stock ZO6 can be beat by a Z for not excessive money. You are absolutely correct in that "priceless" is the best way to describe the results of the look of the ZO6 driver upon being passed. On that note, whatever your budget is, figure on installing a rear facing camera to catch the priceless look! :lol:

johnc that is a SWEEEEET setup!

How to kill a Z06 on the cheap ?

Come on guys, it's a piece of cake, pick out of the following:

1) a little sugar in the gas tank

2) grease up the tires

3) banana in the tailpipe (wedge in a dozen or so)

4) shot gun

5) stick of dynamite.... :D:D:D:D:D

I work with a Z06 owner who will not play any more. Pork Chop embarasses the vette in every phase of performance. My car runs a 12-flat in the quarter and out handles/out brakes the Chebby.

This performance was done with a stock 280ZXT bottom end, mildly worked head with mild turbo cam, 60-1 turbo/ big intercooler, and Standalone EFI.

With my new forged piston 3.0 liter, I'll not only embarass, but humiliate Z06s.

I've spent about 30K, including the new motor.

My car has cold AC and a CD player, and I wouldn't be afraid nor uncomfortable taking a trip to California in it. (I live in Florida).

Probably would give the vette the nod for comfort, as coilovers transmit a fair amount of noise to the inside. Real men don't place comfort over performance. :D