HybridZ

1971 Datsun 240z resto.project [vids/pics]

mull

Mull,

That's a very good looking setup! I think a 16 inch wheel is perfect for the 240Z.

Your project has been such an inspiration to all of us! Thanks for the many extra hours of time you've put into documenting and sharing your world class videos. They are entertaining and educational at the same time. I've watched many of them over and over again!

sorry to chime in so late on this one...this has got to be one of the longest threads on hybridz!!! I started watchin your vids a while back and got the same inspiration as sooooo many other before me have had because of your project and ecided to tear mine all the way down...too bad thats as fas as ive gotten so far! its funny reading your replies sayin you could have had the car finsihsed by now but didnt wanna spend the funds on building it! like your actually saving money by doing the CRAZIEST MOST INSANE GORGEOUS BUILD EVER TO HIT THE FORUMS!!! and your worried about money HAHA. no i hear where your comin from though...im trying to figure out how to save the 1000 bucks for sandblasting let alone all the metal fab! just to hit back on a quick topic back on page 16 i think it was...the tubing bender!!! what did he do to make em not krinkle!!!! what mods to the bender itself! im about to start that whole slow and tedious process! eigther post it up here for all to see and pm me please!!! thanks! and good luck to the HUGO REVOLUTION!!!! youve already inspired o about 10000 builders out there! and thats prob bein conservative! THANKS MULL!!!

Wow...looks 350ish.

Say what? birgits_scratch.gif

sorry to chime in so late on this one...this has got to be one of the longest threads on hybridz!!! I started watchin your vids a while back and got the same inspiration as sooooo many other before me have had because of your project and ecided to tear mine all the way down...too bad thats as fas as ive gotten so far! its funny reading your replies sayin you could have had the car finsihsed by now but didnt wanna spend the funds on building it! like your actually saving money by doing the CRAZIEST MOST INSANE GORGEOUS BUILD EVER TO HIT THE FORUMS!!! and your worried about money HAHA. no i hear where your comin from though...im trying to figure out how to save the 1000 bucks for sandblasting let alone all the metal fab! just to hit back on a quick topic back on page 16 i think it was...the tubing bender!!! what did he do to make em not krinkle!!!! what mods to the bender itself! im about to start that whole slow and tedious process! eigther post it up here for all to see and pm me please!!! thanks! and good luck to the HUGO REVOLUTION!!!! youve already inspired o about 10000 builders out there! and thats prob bein conservative! THANKS MULL!!!

Thanks man, that post made me feel all warm and fuzzy inside ;)

I dunno what he did to the bender, he had some modifications done to the

dies but not sure what. I would get a proper bender though, there are some

cheap ones that does the job better. Check out: http://www.jd2.com/ and

their "model 3" bender. It's pretty cheap at $300 + dies.

As for the project, right now I'm just sitting around waiting for the new version

of the fender flares. That, and better/warmer weather so that I can lure a Z

out to make moulds for my roof.

Also waiting some invoices to cash in, money: it does come in handy :D

• 3 weeks later...

fembult06.jpg

For sale ^_^

Hi Mull, I see that the 4 lug hubs look to be the same fit as the 5 lug. I have a complete Z32TT rear drop that has the 5 lug pattern, but my CCW wheels I bought in 4 lug.

Question is, it looks like I could just swap out the Z32 5 lug hub for the ones like your selling, as I'm sure the hubs on a lot of the models are interchangeable...

I know the R32 GT-R and the Z32TT used the same axles, hubs, and spindles, as I'm sure several models shared the 4 lug set up (240sx, etc.)

I'd like to eventually use the Techno Toy complete rear kit, where I'll use the parts from the Z32TT drop, but I want to go 4 lug cause of my wheels.

I'm pretty sure there are no 4 lug hubs that accept the large splined z32tt axles.

Mull I noticed that you are on the list for the cf bamf zg's. so did the steel flares not work out at all? Also what offset are the skyline wheels that you put on your car and how much did they stick out past the fender without flare? I'm also using the newer style irs although from a s13. I don't think it is as wide as yours. The only thing that sucks about using this rear is you can't use those deep a$$ rims like every one else.

Hi Mull, I see that the 4 lug hubs look to be the same fit as the 5 lug. I have a complete Z32TT rear drop that has the 5 lug pattern, but my CCW wheels I bought in 4 lug.

Question is, it looks like I could just swap out the Z32 5 lug hub for the ones like your selling, as I'm sure the hubs on a lot of the models are interchangeable...

I know the R32 GT-R and the Z32TT used the same axles, hubs, and spindles, as I'm sure several models shared the 4 lug set up (240sx, etc.)

I'd like to eventually use the Techno Toy complete rear kit, where I'll use the parts from the Z32TT drop, but I want to go 4 lug cause of my wheels.

Yeah, you could. The hubs that came with the IRS were from a R32 GTS and

the present 5-lug hubs are from a R33 GTS-T. I've sold the 4-lug hubs to a

guy that has a 200sx RS13, so there should be no problem if you wanna run

a 4-lug R32/240sx setup.

My R32 GTS axles mate up with the R33 GTS-T perfectly anyway.

Mull I noticed that you are on the list for the cf bamf zg's. so did the steel flares not work out at all? Also what offset are the skyline wheels that you put on your car and how much did they stick out past the fender without flare? I'm also using the newer style irs although from a s13. I don't think it is as wide as yours. The only thing that sucks about using this rear is you can't use those deep a$$ rims like every one else.

Carbon fiber is beats metal in coolness any day. Haha. No, seriously, I just

thought the cf-flares looked totally bad ass. I liked the metal flares, but the

wider zg-flares really knocked me out : )

Offset was 22-something... And man do I know about the deep rims. It's crap,

but hopefully the wider cf-flares will allow a little party in the wheel well :) I'm

hoping at least a 265-285 wide tire will fit.

The reason things have been moving slowly lately is the same as in my last post.

Some invoices have been cashing in lately, so hopefully this wagon train should

be on the move again.

Next objective on the to-do-list is to get the engine/transmission mounts in

place and have the engine finished so I can get it inspected by a Swedish

organisation that manages highly modified street cars and amateur built stuff.

I'll be borrowing a friends 200sx S14 front spindles/etc tomorrow to test if it

could be fitted to the 240z without making too big of a mess of things... :)

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
Any comments on these GTR wheels? They're 16x8, I think. Tires are 225/45.

Not very wide but there's about 20 mm more room before the rim touches the

lower arm and the flares will be slightly redesigned (a bit wider with a less flat

design) so hopefully I'll get some 265 or 285 tires in there sooner or later...

gtr_falgar.jpg

I think the GTR wheels look great other than the size. 16" wheels are too small for that car. You should be running 17 to 18" x 9.5 to 12" wheels on the rear of that beast. My plan for my 260Z is to have at least a 285 rear tire on 17 or 18" wheels.