HybridZ

4.5 years later, My Porsche is going to a new home...

Mikelly

So it's true. The car that caused so much stir and grief, has run its course. I took a deposit on my GT2 Converted 996TT today, and it'll be bittersweet when I see her go... Next, I'm considering putting the SpecMiata and the Zcar up on the blocks to be sold as well.

So what's going on? Not really sure what the next chapter holds for our garage. Taking off on the motorcycle tomorrow for 4 days, and gonna give it some thought... But out of the 48 cars that I've owned to date, the 2001 Porsche 911 Turbo has been, by far, the most impressive and intimidating car that I've ever owned...

Mike B)

Because I've been made an offer that only a fool would refuse. I've owned the car for four years, had my fun, and enjoyed it beyond belief. I have a chance to get most of the money I've put into this car back out of it, and it's one time where the amount of time spend in the car, vs. the amount of money invested, vs. the amount of money made in the sale works out to my favor. So, right now, where I am in my life, it's time.

I've learned a lot in the 4.5 years I've owned it, and in my opinion, the Porsche experience has been the best of any brand I've had, and I've had many... 48 cars to date and the brand and the engineering just work for me, and in a big way.

This was my first Porsche, but it will likely not be my last.

Mike

Good luck, of course - and here's hoping that all works out in your favor. But... why? If the Porsche attends to your needs as a commuter-car and as a pleasure/stress-relief vehicle, why spoil a good thing?

The question is, is mike going to go bigger next time, or more "getting old" like ZR8ED seems to be headed... (all in good fun if you're reading this ZR8ED).

If you respond to this Mike, realize I don't care what the response is now. I'll be looking toward what you actually pick up and what the plans are when it comes. Go enjoy the bike ride, clear the head, and remember why life is worth living.

No worries... I'm not sure what the future brings... I've got the Zcar, and will be installing the FAST fuel injection system and the CCW wheels over the winter, and I'll continue developing it.

I'm actually thinking about buying a Porsche factory GT3 Cup car. I really would like to own a real, factory built race car, but we'l have to see. Who knows... I would really like to pay off my house BEFORE I get to deep into another expensive supercar.

Mike

Yea, Um... Well... The Spec Miata has been the best buy for building a true learning tool for the kids and the friends who have used it for their first introductions to DE. As to what people do in the pits when they take to the track, I wouldn't even know how to respond... And for all the Zcar bravado, my Z has been more of a headache than any track car I've owned, at and off the track...

I'm sure it'll get better with time, but make no mistake, the Zcars that show up at my events are typically broken and in the pits, or being lapped by Spec Miatas and lesser cars. I "hope" to break that mold, but who knows.

Mike

After many years of flailing around with a V8 Z build, I can attest that the "purpose" is less to produce a wondrous vehicle, than to garner experience of "building it yourself". Few other vehicles are as amenable to such an extensive a modification... and yet, few other vehicles so desperately need such a modification.

I can't speak about spec Miatas, but Miatas as fun daily-drivers are difficult to beat. Though woefully underpowered, they exude a special charm that larger cars simply don't have, and yet they don't suffer from elfin kit-car roughness or fragility. If I ever got the urge to race something competitively, it would likely be in a Miata... maybe stock, maybe with a simple bolt-on Roots blower (Jackson Racing).

Mike - though it won't directly replace the Porsche, what about a Caterham or an Ariel Atom?

Michael, I'm probably going to stick with a fixed roof car for a replacement when the time comes...

I agree with much of what you posted above, but the biggest challenger I see with the Datsun Z is to get it to be as dead reliable as a track car as the Porsche is. And that just speaks to that "german" engineering and that "porsche" tax, I suppose. :lol: And personally, I'd do the Turbo kit on the Miata. It just works better...

Mike

So about that motorcycle trip to clear my mind...

Thursday and Friday were wonderful... Did over 450 miles down the BRP to get into Blowing Rock... Then the second day we did about 250 miles going into Ashville and Back on nice twisty roads...

cf26c6b1.jpg

baa19fc3.jpg

And then the rain and snow came...

3748de72.jpg

5b8cae06.jpg

The last two days of riding were F'n miserable with the cold, the high winds and the frozen precipitation on the bridges and overpasses. We had planned to ride between 1500-1800 miles. I managed a total of 1300 due to trying to wait out the snow storms on Saturday which gave us a late start, and then having to leave the parkway on Sunday, due to the risk of ice on the Parkway. Oh well... Next year we'll do our "annual" trip in July so we can ***** about the heat, like years past!

Mike

I created a log-in and signed up, read a few posts, and then when I bought the FJR1300, I didn't go back. That said, My two riding partners have C14s and man, the newest is a bad beast. Might be my next motorcycle...

I put about 8K miles per year on my bikes between commuting and fun rides.

Mike

Mike,

I am jealous of the fact that you have owned such a super car as the Porsche 911. I have considered and still consider giving up the Z and buying a "super car" while I am young enough to enjoy it.Lately I have had a herniated disc issues which is taking the fun out of working on my Z and it will take more work than my back can handle to even come close to a super car with a Z.

It seems that a used porsche 911 turbo might be the best bang for buck as far as buying a used super car. For myself, the early Z is hard to top as far as looks(modified with wheels, etc...), but I really do like the 911. I have never driven a car of this caliper, so I can only speculate the experience. I have driven a 95-911n/a and it was very sweet. If a person was willing to spend 50-60K, wouldn't you say the 911 would be the wisest choice for a super car experience and still have a daily driver? Maybe I can get lucky and keep both cars, but as a family man that's not rich, I think it might be asking too much.

Also like your choice on a bike-also my choice when I can get one.