HybridZ

What's the best heat insulation?

Hi,

I've got a 375 Hp/350 and a T5 installed in my '74 260Z. I'm just finishing up wiring the aftermarket wiring harness and have the interior completely gutted. I know this engine is going to dump a lot of heat to the passenger compartment and since I live in Phoenix, which is always hot anyway, I need to insulate the passenger cabin floor and firewall.

So, what do you recommend for the best heat insulation so I don't have to drive a rolling sauna?

Jim

Tiles from the space shuttle.

Remember rule 4:

4. There is no Best! No best tires. No best engine. No best shock. No best big chrome foot gas pedal. Every car builder and driver is in a different situation. What's good for one might suck for another. The decision on what is "best" for you and your car is completely up to you. As with any decision time, effort, and research is needed by the decision maker - you! Instead of asking what is "best", do some research, explain your situation in excruciating detail, and describe what alternatives you're considering in your decision. Posting a thread with "What's the best..." in the title it is a sure way to get that post tossed into the Tool Shed.

:DI started with TG1 from Cascade Audio, which is advertised as R-12. I expect to add more product such as DynoMat or some other material over the TG1 for sound and vibration suppression. Probably add a few pounds to the Z. The issue is not unique to Z's. Google some of the hot rod and low rider forums.

Ive been told lizard skin adds microscopic ceramic balls to there coatings to add insulation properties and can be bought from a qualified paint supply. Add them to any paint you will add for an extra insulation layer, but use a face mask as if they get into your lungs, bad things could occur. Im sure in there fine powder form they are very light.

Cover that with gold and then those ceramic tiles, your AC would frost your windows!!

Ive been told lizard skin adds microscopic ceramic balls to there coatings to add insulation properties and can be bought from a qualified paint supply. Add them to any paint you will add for an extra insulation layer, but use a face mask as if they get into your lungs, bad things could occur. Im sure in there fine powder form they are very light.

Cover that with gold and then those ceramic tiles, your AC would frost your windows!!

Lizard skin adds balls you say. Well my car could do with some more balls :)

• 3 months later...

Look up Kool Mat out of mooresville nc. Kool mat blocks up 26 decibels of sound and 2000 degrees. It's a silicone and fiberglass like dry flexible material used primarily by NASCAR. That gray flooring material in the race cars....I guarantee you won't find a better sound deadner or heat resistant material. Kool mat is being used in military humvees and buildings in Mideast. I had a kit made for the 260z 2+2 so others can order quickly. It's a thousand times better than lizzard skin and deadens sound better than any other product out there....I have the others in my H2 and they pale in comparison to Kool mAt.

If you call, ask for pat and tell her Charles sent you and that your a member of hybridz, you'll get a discount. I've already got my kit so I receive no financial benefit in sending anyone to koolmat. Outstanding stuff.

I did take a welder to a piece of Kool mat and metal at same temp setting and had cut through the metal first....it works.

Disclosure, I have absolutely zero interest in Kool MAt financially or otherwise.

• 2 weeks later...