HybridZ

What did you do to your Z today?

Racer Z

Oh, my normal exercise in futility. You know, the three steps forward and two steps back thing.

Took a round-port exhaust manifold off a spare motor to find that it was cracked in about five places. The thing was white inside. Just a little lean? Had to chuck that. The previous owner had said it didn't run very good. Makes me wonder if there's any pistons left.

Put the new clutch on the (good) used motor (I hope it runs). That almost installed it'self.

Found that my 5-speed got damaged during shipping and had to repair that. One dowel had been pushed flush into the hole, had fun getting that out. The hole for the other dowel was squished and out-of-round. Managed to make it round again.

Found that my new tranny mount is the wrong one.

Was hoping to get the motor and tranny installed today, but they're both still on the ground.

I think I did something else, but I can't remember if it was a good thing or not.

Did nothing on Z-car today. Dropped my first born daughter (Rebekah) off at college 7 hours away. I couldn't wait to get back to the car - is there something wrong with me? Maybe I should start doing cocaine. It would certainly be more acceptable in my home.

Only 21, I'm in the green zone.

How did they almost fool you on a timing chain?

Breh said it was stretched so I followed the guide here and found out my timing chain was perfect. The guy has made a couple mistakes but when I try to correct him he tells me how many years he's been doing this and to shut up. Then again I can't get mad because I tell him to do everything by the book but I still make mistakes. Too many cooks in the kitchen I guess. Edited by MazerRackham

Did front and rear glass 10 years ago all by myself when I was much younger and more spry. String method, lots of dishwashing soap and a healthy helping of profanity. Noticed that you didn't install the stainless trim - saved yourself a good bit of hassle there, good choice. Needs to be installed before inserting glass into before putting glass in car, so then you have not only a slippery noodle, but if you bend the trim in the process, you have to start all over! If you try to install the trim with the glass installed, you get little cuts in the trim channel. What a nightmare. Will pay for that next time (if I can find anybody I trust??). I had lots of leaks at corners even with new rubber and new glass with zero rust and fresh paint. Used some sort of black non-curing window calk that was very sticky and messy I got from an automotive glass shop. Used lighter fluid to clean excess (very messy). Put it between rubber and body and between rubber and glass using a calk gun with the nozzle on the tube. Haven't had a leak in 10 years. Beautiful car - way to go!