HybridZ

Rad support fabrication

I currently have an intercooler in front of my rad, and after having to cut the holes bigger to fit my 2.5" IC piping, I think that the whole rad support, top to bottom, looks like ass. 

Has anyone attempted this that would like to drop some knowledge?  I am comfortable that I can complete this project, but I thought I'd throw up a flare and see if anyone has some reason why I oughtn't do this.

I currently have an intercooler in front of my rad, and after having to cut the holes bigger to fit my 2.5" IC piping, I think that the whole rad support, top to bottom, looks like ass. 

Has anyone attempted this that would like to drop some knowledge?  I am comfortable that I can complete this project, but I thought I'd throw up a flare and see if anyone has some reason why I oughtn't do this.

I am trying to figure out why you cut your radiator support for 2.5-in. piping.  I ran 2.5-in. piping for my IC (on my old turbo setup) which was in front of the radiator and did not have to cut anything.

I cut it because i was 19 or 20 at the time and was more concerned with getting it up and running.  I'm going through and ironing out my fuckups now.

I was thinking more plate than your pics, Nelsonian, but that's because I hadn't considered doing tubes.  that looks fanfrickintastic!

That's about what I'm thinking now.

Thanks for the input!  I'll post updates!

"I cut it because i was 19 or 20 at the time and was more concerned with getting it up and running. I'm going through and ironing out my fuckups now."

Hahaha! You mean "the fat old white dudes" might have been on to something? LOL

Nelsonian has the right photos... I have seen people use stuff from strut bar braces to nice boxed tubing. Run a strut bar on your towers, triangulated to the firewall and the sway bar mounts first...then you can literally cut everything off in front and replace it with FRP as all your torsionals are taken care of already. In fact most of those shown are likely grossly overbuilt from aesthetics, rather than a functional requirement of stiffening if the strut towers are properly braced.

I've seen cars in Japan with 10mm tubing (think Maserati Birdcage) in front holding up components like FMIC, Rad, oil cooler, etc.

• Like 1

FRP?

And if I just build a triangle between the firewall and strut towers, I can just cut all that crap out in front and run whatever I want?

And yeah, the fat old white dudes were right.

... This time.

Fiber reinforced plastic.

There really isn't any load transferred across the radiator support. Once the strut tower to firewall to frame is braced/triangulated you can run whatever you want. All it is supporting is the hood hinges, grill, radiator, and in your case intercooler.

There really isn't any load transferred across the radiator support.

Look at the upper frame horns going from the cowl to the core support.  The core support is one end of the box that's the engine compartment and   even with STBs the core support adds to the rigidity of the front end of the car.