HybridZ

Should I pay $6K for a resto, salvaged 71 Z??

Whats up guys.  Want to say whats up to everyone on here as I am new to the forums and will be looking to pickup my first z.  I've been lurking around for a while and just joined recently. 

I am looking at a friend of a friends car which has been fully restored.  The seller does paint and body for a living, so the Z's paint and panels look damn good.  The car is as followed...

71' 240Z salvaged title

2.4L carb motor rebuilt...30,xxx since

interior has been restored w pleather??...full interior

5 speed trans

cut stock springs

stock shocks

15*8+0 rota wantanabe knockoffs, 205/50 new bfgs

chin spoiler

stock brakes.  ...im not used to stepping on the breaks twice the distance of my normal dd's (99 tacoma, gf's 09 is350)...i think brakes need work

rear hatch spoiler

shaved rear bumper/ flushed out

The Z was rear ended and repaired.  This is why the ins salvaged it out.  The owner showed me pics of the damage and it didnt look too bad.  The bumper was pushed up and the rear end was smashed in some what.  The gas tank was damaged but has been replaced and he states that nothing else was damaged.  Keep in mind he works at a big dealership as one of their main paint and body guy.  I drove it and it drives excellent.  It looks excellent as well.  The guy is an older guy and did everything proper on the car.  He has also mentioned that hes taken a few first place finishes at some of the local car shows as well.

He is asking 6.5K for the car.  If you look at the car, youde probabley nod your head and say to yourself, clean car...seriousy, its that clean and sounds damn good too. 

I dont really want to post up pics of the car at this time cuz i dont know if he is a member here or not and dont want to make an ass of myself:) 

I know what a salvaged title does to a vehicle, ,however this z is just soo damn clean.  Paint has a very thick clear coat and is as smooth as a new borns buttocks.  ...and again, i know some peeps will say, its worth as much as youre willing to pay...but the thing is im willing to pay a lot, but maybe not 6.5....but maybe its worth 6.5...idk. ..

I've also searched and couldnt find much info...both here on elsewhere..

Any thoughts and input from you guys would be greatly appreciated. 

....I can also pm anyone pics if they can truly and honestly help me out.  Thanks guys!

Edited by vudoocustoms

Cars with a salvage title are ALWAYS worth significantly less than cars with a clean title. Granted it doesn't take much of an accident to "total" a 42 year old car for insurance purposes. However, a salvage title always carries a stigma no matter how much lipstick you put on a pig.

Dennis

Dude these guys no more about what cars are worth then anybody you will ask on a forum.........http://www.hagerty.com/valuationtools...............type   in what year the car is and they will give you 4 car conditions ...match up what condition with the car your looking at and they will tell you what your car is worth....nobody knows better then a company that insures thousands of collector cars!!!!!......now that being said ....a salvage title does lower the value of a car....

Edited by theatriks

Dude these guys no more about what cars are worth then anybody you will ask on a forum.........http://www.hagerty.com/valuationtools...............type   in what year the car is and they will give you 4 car conditions ...match up what condition with the car your looking at and they will tell you what your car is worth....nobody knows better then a company that insures thousands of collector cars!!!!!......now that being said ....a salvage title does lower the value of a car....

Right.  I forgot about Hagerty.  However, they have a #4/ fair catagory, but still nothing on a salvaged level....darn. 

Right.  I forgot about Hagerty.  However, they have a #4/ fair catagory, but still nothing on a salvaged level....darn. 

Im no expert but i would guess anything no matter how clean it is ..if its got a salvage title it aint worth close to what a clean non salvage z would go for.......i bought a 260z with a clean title ...and no rust at all ..it was a california car ....all original in very good condition..with 62000 miles ...well at least thats what the odometer reads lol.....and i feel  i paid a little too much at 7000 canadian.....so a salvage title for the same as i bought a non salvage......i wouldnt pay what hes asking.

Interesting subject, I ask what is the difference on a rusted out Z, that has replaced body panels , floors ,sub frame rails , battery tray , shock towers , rear hatch,front hood , plus other body parts and a full quality paint job . Is this redone Z a salvage car ?

It sounds like the car is in good shape, although it's hard to go on just words without detailed photos. Many people are afraid of salvaged cars but I don't have an issue as long as the frame wasn't damaged. One of my Zs was salvaged and repaired. I originally paid $2500 for the running car but it needed A LOT of work. I bought it because it was rust-free and a good platform to build on. Its alignment numbers look better than some collision-free Zs.

$6500 wouldn't even tempt me to sell my salvaged Z, unless I stripped it of a bunch of parts.

MelissasCameraPart150.jpg

If the car is clean and rust free then $6k seems perfectly fair regardless of the salvage title. Of course what you plan to do with the car really affects whether or not a clean title even matters. Are you keeping the car stock and hoping that the value will increase? Or do you plan to drive the car and modify it to make it faster, handle better, etc? If you're going to modify it anyway (and why are you on HybridZ if you're not?) then what difference does a salvage title make as long as the car is in good shape and not a rust bucket? A quality paint job costs near to $5k nowadays so to me the asking price seems more than fair.

Plata brings up a good point too. What's really the difference between a salvaged car that has had a few body panels replaced/repaired and a clean titled car that has had a ton of rust repair done? Is the rusted out car that's been repaired in someone's garage really more valuable than the salvaged car that was fixed by a professional?

The general industry rule (and what my BANK told me when I financed a savage title car years ago) is that it's 50% of the blue book on the car in similar condition. At the time I was buying a salvaged car for $3500 on a car with a $12,900 blue book value.

For collector cars, I think that number is considerably higher (more value than a daily runaround car than 50%)

Even so, if this car is painted nicely and looks like a 240Z that should be selling for $12,000, then $6,000 sounds about right.

And it doesn't take much to get a $12,000 insurance appraisal for insurance purposes these days: Shiny Paint, Matching Numbers complete car....

Like it or not, these cars are on the existence down curve... they aren't making them any more, and the costs of acquisition are rising.

Really nobody can answer the question but you. I saw Hondas sold for full retail on salvage titles in the past....simply because they were Hondas and getting one to drive was impossible. If it's for daily driving, finding one...that is the key. If you're buying it as some sort of "investment" you will likely be sorely disappointed any way you turn, I recommend not viewing it in that light.

My Condition 7 Cars are now worth more than my house. Not a one bought for more than $200. "Investments" take time to mature. Buying at near the top of the market is always a recipe for failure. Knowing they can't go much lower usually reaps better results. But nobody wants to drive a turd. Except me. I'm OK with that, shiny crow-cars are always a crapshoot.

Edited by Tony D

Plata brings up a good point too. What's really the difference between a salvaged car that has had a few body panels replaced/repaired and a clean titled car that has had a ton of rust repair done? Is the rusted out car that's been repaired in someone's garage really more valuable than the salvaged car that was fixed by a professional?

Depends on the car. A Bugatti with a salvage title - no problem. A Z with a salvage title - a problem unless you plan to keep and enjoy it forever. You will get less return on any upgrades than on a Z with a clean title when you sell. That's just a fact of life.

For example, in most cases, the best deals are had when buying someone else's restoration rather than doing your own restoration. Years ago, I bought a prime Porsche for about 50% of what the seller had spent to put it in top condition. If it would have had a salvage title, it would have been reduced in value by an additional significant percentage. That's just the nature of a salvage title. It's not the same as a clean title and carries a stigma because there's no guarantee of how well a salvaged car was repaired I terms of structure and safety.

As I mentioned earlier, you can put a lot of lipstick on a pig, but it's still a pig.

Dennis

That's just the nature of a salvage title. It's not the same as a clean title and carries a stigma because there's no guarantee of how well a salvaged car was repaired I terms of structure and safety.

There's no guarantee on the structural integrity of a "clean title" car either.

It could be as damaged as a salvage car, they just didn't file a claim.

My current 25 year old DD would be totalled out if the tail lights got trashed, replacement would be more than the insured value of the car.

As long as the car has some sort of valid title, I tend to ignore whether it's salvaged or not (don't even get me started on how useless CarFax is...) and concentrate on what is actually before my eyes.

Metal doesn't lie, unlike insurance companies and sellers.

Wow. A wealth of knowledge and information thats got me thinking all day and night. Thank you guys for your honest opinions. I seriously think im going to pull the trigger on this. There were a lot of good points that made me think. I plan to keep the car for a long time, although every vehicle ive purchased and modified is an investment and the return appreciation, if any, is always in the back of my mind. With that being said, coilovers and an rb or sr would look sweet under the hood, although i would drive this z for as long as possible the way it sits, because i appreciate things for what they are...in this case, a very stock z.

I personally think this car could be a 10k$+- car. The seller seems to be a passionate z owner, however that could be a front....

Got some pics...checkm out guys