HybridZ

Please educate me on they style differences of a 280z 2+2 vs. non 2+2

Hello all,

I will be be purchasing my first "classic" Z, and I am having trouble gaining a full understanding of the 2+2 models.  So far Google has taught me that they have a longer wheel base, a back seat and a different shaped window behind the doors.

The search feature on here and Zcar is extremely slow, or I dont know how to work it..

Anything else on style?  There is something when I look at it that just dont look right, but I can work it out.

I have narrowed my choices down to a few cars, but one is a 2+2.  Its a good price, in pretty good condition etc etc.. but I am hesitant.

My end goal is to go hog wild with a 2yr rebuild...LS1 and etc, all new brakes/suspension, new interior and a nice paint job... I am leaning toward the Japanese look..

Oh, and it seems 2+2 do not obtain the value of non 2+2's...is this a correct general assumption?

Thanks!

I will always take a 2+2 over a coupe for one reason, I fit better in a 2+2. My knees hit the dash in a coupe even with the seat all the way back. 

A few different things I have found in addition to your list;

Structural rockers are different

Underside frame rail had an add-on piece to extend it (only on the passenger side)

One odd thing, no idea why, the hood releases cable is 1/2" longer, but the coupe fits fine.

Drive shaft.

Doors are different (2nd opening lever) window trim does not have the same angle.

Rear quarter windows open, and have a different shape as mentioned.  

Roof is different. 

I have been told by a glass shop that the front window is different, but I have yet to confirm that. 

Flywheel and clutch (not that that matters in your case)

That is all I can think of at the moment. 

Hope that helps

Edited by AkRev

Center console has an ash tray in the back

Different rear quarter emblems I believe

Rear windows pop out as vents, coupes do not

2 sets of handles on interior doors

Has 240mm clutch and flywheel instead of coupes 225

Rear wheelbase is slightly wider than coupe

Better aerodynamics than coupe

Xringx,  I'd say go look at and drive the 2+2 then go drive the coupe.  I think you'll like the coupe much better, but if you have reason for a back seat then take the 2+2.  Parts are actually pretty easy to find for both cars, but the 2+2 does have some model specific parts.  don't let it discourage you though, they're not really wear parts.   I think the coupe handles a lot better than the 2+2. But you're thinking LS so either car will be a beast.  I've owned multiples of both body types and really it's the look that is a little odd on the 2+2. Just something that doesn't quite match the curves.  So it basically boils down to personal preference.  so go drive both and see what you think.  The seat folds down in the 2+2 so you have a little more cargo area. but it's a Z, so don't expect to fit much. The rear seat is really only good for really little people or one person sitting sideways.   I'm 6'5" and I fit in both models with the seat all the way back. The 2+2 has about 1" more space, but you get used to it either way. (Maybe I'm a contortionist, I also used to drive Gen 1 Rx-7's) 

I want to adapt the openable rear window clamps to a coupe, but drilling the glass is going to be fun. I like the upper door handles too, but that's not really worth the work to move to a coupe.  I think the doors may be the same size, but I'd have to measure to know.  The windshield glass is interchangeable. I've had to replace and put a 2+2 windshield on a coupe., uhm what else.  They covered most of the other differences like the clutch.  I know in some newer Z's like the Z32, the diff has a lower ratio in the 2+2's but I don't know about the S30's on that. 

Good to know about the glass, I was annoyed when a glass shop tried to sell me the fact that the coupe was one price and the 2+2 was a special order price.

I should add the 2+2 is about 250lbs chunkier with the seats and everything. 

As for handling, they are different, but as Pharaohabq said, test drive and see what you like.

When I would push the coupe I always had issues with oversteer, but to be honest, it has been 15 years since I have been in a stock suspension 2+2 for a good comparison.

Good to know there is another tall guy driving a Z. 

• 9 months later...

While we're speaking of differences between the two I thought I might ask a question.. if I have a 280z shell can I put the mecanics of a 260 2+2 in it? What would I need to change if it were possible. I understand if my question is a little out of place but I'm just looking for some help

Here's a good thread from the Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ) forum - http://forums.hybridz.org/topic/57506-240z-260z-or-280z-chassisbody-differences/

You need to be more specific than "mecanics".  All of the moving parts are mechanical.  Doors, wheels, engine, transmission, etc.

The complete drivetrain, from engine to differential, from the 260Z 2+2 will transplant in to the 280Z, if that's what you're asking.  Not many body parts though, if it's an early 260Z, plus the fact that 2+2 body parts can be different from coupe parts.

Here's a good thread from the Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ) forum - http://forums.hybridz.org/topic/57506-240z-260z-or-280z-chassisbody-differences/

You need to be more specific than "mecanics".  All of the moving parts are mechanical.  Doors, wheels, engine, transmission, etc.

The complete drivetrain, from engine to differential, from the 260Z 2+2 will transplant in to the 280Z, if that's what you're asking.  Not many body parts though, if it's an early 260Z, plus the fact that 2+2 body parts can be different from coupe parts.

Thank you

Wouldn't you need a different driveshaft if the wheelbase is longer on the 2+2?