HybridZ

dynoed my little crap box today

SHANE

well i found out that the SDS mixture meter is a little off. had it tuned to around 12.1 on the meter, but on the dyno the wideband showed it below 10.1!!! so my settings were so far off that after 30 pulls my dumbass still could'nt get the air fuel ratio right. time to start all over. the best numbers i could muster were 339 HP and 428 ftlbs of torque. this was at 21psi. still the stock motor and with an SDS with 72lb injectors. next up will be to disconect the actuator so the wastegate is open. then go out and make damn sure the RPM FUEL numbers are right with no boost. after that i will work on the MAP settings and start raising the boost. guess i will have to spend more dyno money next friday.

[QUOTI told you it was friggin' rich, Shane!E]

yeah i know, you can slap me next time.

funny thing is the car destroyed the oil in about 500 miles and it still did'nt register that the car was soo rich.

[QUOTsounds like you have a nice setup there shane! care to share a lil info on it?

E]

turbo motor with upgraded turbo, SDS, MSD 72lb injectors, 24x11x3 intercooler, and two upgraded fuel pumps. thats about it i think.

change your o2 sensor running that rich will destroy a o2 meter quick... and tune it on a dyno its alot quicker and safer. i went for a month trying to tune mine... went thru 5 tanks of gas. a set of brake pads, and narrowly missed a 120mph in a 65 mph ticket1!!!!!

the gas and brake pads alone would have paid for a dyno session. and if i had recieved a ticket car would have been sidelined

• 2 weeks later...

yes this on the stock engine. stock everything with 140,000 miles. i have some newer numbers, i will take a pic of the sheet and post it soon. 360RWHP and around 440 torque. this was only at 20PSI and the motor has seen 25PSI very often, just not yet on the dyno.

• 1 month later...

Shane,

Question on the O2 readings...Were the dyno readings taken from a wideband O2 near the turbo or at a collecter at the tailpipe? If at the tailpipe, that could be contributing to a different reading. I will readily admit I don't know how it affects it, but in my research for my RB26 aftermarket stuff it has come up several times. I think John C has discussed it as well. It has to do with mixing down the pipe, and while I am pulling from air here,(pun intended) I think I remember something about the exhaust cooling changing the reading as well.

-Bob

Folks, this is a prime example of how/why you don't try to use a normal O2 on turbo apps running alot of boost and making good power. The O2 readings are useless in most situations. Hell, I tuned my car to .95V(0-1V) and on the dyno I was at 14.1:1. EGT is the next best thing and wideband is where its at. My last dyno session was 10.9:1 tuning by EGT and I picked up 40rwhp by tuning to 11.6:1-11.8:1. The moral of the story is do not trust a normal O2 for full boost tuning.