HybridZ

Hey Moderators

240Z Turbo

What gives with deleting the L6 forums? I saw this posted by Mike Kelly, "and even opened our arms up to the L6 crowd, Many of whom were attackers on other boards."

Am I the only one confused here? Thanks for the open arms! :? I was not aware that hybrid refered to engines or any thing other than Nissan L6. Can hybrid not be a car with an L6, but with a ford 9" rear or powerglide tranny? If you don't like someone then kick them off, what is accomplished by killing the entire L6 section of this forum? I think the only thing you have managed to do it upset those who can contribute and still run the "NON-HYBRID" L6. I must say I am truly disappointed. :( Well L6 guys, it seems this is turning into another Zcar.com. BTW, will I get kicked off for speaking my mind?

James,

It was covered fairly well in the announcements section and in the alternate 6 cylinder section under the RB forum gone thread. The L6 isn't really a swap, as hybridz was originally set up to discuss. However, the L6 topics most certainly fit in the various technical sections. Info such as your P-90 mods fit in the 6 cylinder swaps as you are discussing a turbo conversion to a 240z, i.e. a 6 cylinder swap.

I understand where they are coming from, and the main goal is to eliminate the simple questions that can be answered by zcar.com, 240z.org, and zdriver.com and keep the higher level technical discussions here. With a L6 forum, it is fair game for a newbie to ask simple L6 issues, which really are a better fit for the other sites and have effectively diluted some of the info available here. I for one would like to see this site stay as a higher level discussion arena.

Just my take.

-Bob

they killed the L6 forums (kenny)! I guess i need to get on with my dang 350 TPI thingy 8)

With all due respect to the Hybrid Z elders, could the '6 Cylinder Swap" forum be properly named "6 Cylinder Forum"? Man this is gonna make it difficult to get any datsun info out there. Now we have to merge with the forces of v6 guys, rb guys......man thats a LOT of posts. :?

Yes zcar.com is a great source of technical info for our inline 6 needs. But zcar.com's software really sucks. Posts are not brought back up to the top regardless of popularity and replies. Zdriver.com's layout and colors just make it painful to sort through everything. 240z.org is basically a place for the classic z cars and 280zx guys really cant find the info they need there. I feel like this is a bad move for hybridz, as being diverse is what made this place popular. Its simple software, the most popular posts are brought right back to the top with every reply. Im dissapointed actually. I also feel that the moderators have been getting real pushy as of late. I dont have any problem with it, since its not my forum, but im feeling a little pressured as a free user.

Cant the newbs be dealt with accordingly, instead of changing everything people have come to get used to and rely on for their needs?

I'm not so sure 6 cylinder forum is a good name. It should still be alternate 6 cylinder, which can be interpreted to mean "an alternate form of the stock 6 cylinder."

And I would strongly suggest to Derek or others in charge at zcar.com to change his forum software. He has always been responsive to peoples input and that is a long overdue change for zcar.com. It is one of the primary reasons people aren't staying over there and I think Derek should be made aware of it if he isn't already. In my opinion, zdriver has not really been a player, largely for a few reasons, this forum and zcar.com exists and as you said, their choice of colors makes it very hard to read and cruise the forums. I can't for the life of me understand why people choose those colors,(remember the forum change here and the default colors before it was changed?).

-Bob

The words "6 cylinder swaps" were chosen specifically because this is a site built around engine swaps, not bolting on mods to the stock engine. Like it or not, that is how it is.

David, I thought you had a Z forum somewhere using php as it was? It isn't rocket science to setup a forum these days, and if enough people are not liking zcar, zdriver, etc and don't feel that this 6 cylinder swaps forum is good enough, then there are other options. Regardless, we aren't saying L6 posts are gone for good. We're saying that it doesn't get its own space, and this is simply to weed out those basic questions that we get tons of, by people that are no where near being able (mechanically) to swap an engine.

With that said, if you are a regular member here and have a basic question, its not going to be a problem. We all have brain farts from time to time and need to verify the basics with others.

6 cylinder swaps as you are discussing a turbo conversion to a 240z, i.e. a 6 cylinder swap. -Bob

What if I turbocharge the original L24 motor in a 240Z? Where do you want me to post? This reminds me of when the NEW Coke came out...where is the Coca Cola Classic? :shock:

I'm with james and dave usually i post under the turbo section but i do look under the l6 board for great tech info.I agree that it will be a pain to weed out the v6 stuff from the l6 stuff and so on.It's kinda funny but it seems like the people with v8's are starting to single the l6 out cuz as you said it's not a real swap.I'd have to say anything that has had a motor modified and swapped into it is a hybridz.You do know that newbe's have to learn too and most don't get a reply from zcar and searching the archives just in my opinion sucks your question doesn't totally get answered.Also i personally like the real answers to YOUR question not someone elses.I have been on here for a while sometimes asking stupid questions sometimes asking good ones and both times i ahve gotten responses and they where answered in a very pleasant way.I like this site cuz there was from what i saw no bashing of any types of cars or owners.Strong opinions where shown but no stereo typing of your a v8 and i'm a l6 it just seems to be looking more and more that way to me.What happned to the i'm telling ya forum too?That one was a good one also.I like the fuel delivery one that sums up pretty much everything on one shot.I don't like zcar for that same reason dave made and that you get the "search the archives dummy" from them most the time.I'm with james in saying hope i don't get kicked off for speaking my mind. :shock:

Put me on the same list as James, Dave and Scotty. There are still two specific v8 forums with the Ford and Chevy v8 forums so why dump all six cylinder swaps together? Since I have both a V8 car and a turbo 240, which IS a hybrid since a 240 never came with that engine, I used to like the specialized forums. Why would I go to a Ford V8 forum when I have a Chevy engine? Makes sense, no? If what you are looking for when doing a search can be answered in either forum don't we think the visitors to this site, that are performing an undertaking that most people can't do anyway, are smart enough to look in multiple forums? I can understand if the reason to merge is to make the life of administrators easier and if that's the case I am willing to put up or shut up. If help is needed I'm willing. Just my few cents.

Joe

Just keep in mind: This site started out (before my time) being called "V8 Swappers Forum" and was started by Owen years ago. That, I believe was the original intent of the site. Just something to chew on :lol:

Give this post by Mike Kelly a read, I think it says it all:

http://www.hybridz.org/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=24855&start=30

Tim

James, it's pretty obvious - you'd be posting in the Turbo/Supercharger forum!

BTW, it was 3 or 4 years ago that I emailed Derek SEVERAL times about the lame software they were using that didn't boil threads with new responses to the top. That alone makes that site almost useless.

Sorry that you guys are feeling hurt. But this site was set up for V8 swaps to begin with. It was set up to get away from L6 purists. But lately we've had more than one or two purists come in and stir things up, so we are moving back towards our original intent, by taking some FOCUS away from the L6 stuff, the how-to-fix-this-niggling-stock-Z-non-performance-related-thing. GREAT places for that are the IZCC mail list (see zhome.com) and 240Z.org.

Cruez, I'm all for someone starting an L6 forum somewhere, or using Zdriver.com. I'm all for someone starting an RB forum somewhere. Heck, start a V8Z forum somewhere, but it'll be hard to pull many to it.

This place NEVER was and still isn't the place to find out how to get the last HP out of an NA L6 engine. That is not a hybridZ. It's not that I don't appreciate L6 Zs - I do. But we don't want to be the central point for that topic. Turbo L6's - that's fine, as it's a HybridZ as Rags points out.

We're not trying to run off Z guys that run L6 engines. Many of them have found a home here to discuss plenty of stuff other than the L6. In fact, we have many top road racers that run classes that only accept the L6, and they provide incredible technical knowledge in chassis, brake, suspension, and other areas! That is definitely one of the things that makes this site the best Z site around!

I believe I've made myself clear on this topic James. We DID get grief from MANY people back in the day, and We HAVE shown a great deal of diVersity on this site.

As I've stated before, I make no apologies for what we are currently doing. If it suits you, then great, glad you stuck it out. If not, Good luck on your projects.

We can't make everyone happy, and I for one am tired of trying.

Mike :?

Cruez, I just bookmarked your site. I think if a bunch of us L6'ers jump over there for L6 questions, that would ease the tension.

I LOVE the other forums here so I'll probably stick to this one for suspension, drivetrain, exhaust, etc.

You might think about NARROWING your focus to just the L6 so you are not in direct competition with hybridz, since that's kinda tough to compete with... all the experts are here.

Jon

PS - I spent YEARS on zhome's mailing list reading through posts about dim headlights and bad gas mileage. I check it every 3 to 4 days now just to see if anything interesting was posted, but this one is up on my computer while I work damn near all day. Can't believe the time and $$$ I wasted that could have been prevented by learning about this place earlierm, e.g. having control arms made by a local machinist who had to figure out all the dimensions, etc. I thought this was V8 engine specific, so I never checked it out until just recently...

jmortensen, I agree with you.... there are many gurus on this site with expertise in those areas.

Besides the layout of zcar.com's forum, and a couple of the other forums that tend to be a bit purist, that was the reasoning behind creating the forum..

I don't want to be in competition with Hybridz at all, If it wasn't for the people here, I would still have unanswered questions.. I don't want to jeopardize my welcome here by no means.

If I could get some feedback over there on how it should be setup, that would be fine with me... even the scheme of the forum..

I wanted it to be of help to whomever needs it... I can't recall how many emails I have gotten asking questions in the past... before many of the forums popped up...

If you do have a problem with the forum just let me know....

And if the moderators here have a problem with anything, please let me know...

well im with scottyMIz and the other L6 guys.. i mean i understand what this site is doing and all, but one thing i dont see eye to eye with is how a L6 motor isnt a swap.. yeah my 280Z has a L28, but not a 280ZX L28ET.. so thats a swap and a hybrid Z car.

and even a hybrid Z car doesnt need a different motor to be a hybrid.. it can consist of different drivetran parts, suspension parts, etc etc..

ill still hang around this site as it is my FAV site on the net.. om on here more then im working on my Z..

Cruez i joined your site and i like it alot!

if you want me to post some pics of different things i changed and write some posts up on parts i install to get things going i will..

thanks

mike