HybridZ

Tool Review...

Mikelly

Since I've had a bitch of a time replacing my drill press with something worth while, I figured Iwould pass along this and other relared tool no-nos!

The "Delta" powertool brand sold by LOWES is CRAP. The first drill press I had was a Delta, and worked well for two years. However, The chuck kept breaking teeth, eventually rendering itself useless! I tried to replace it with a newer and larger model, 12 inch unit only to find that is was crap. Wouldn't hold a bit in the chuck. It would vibrate enough to sling the bit loose in the chuck EVERY TIME! This cost me all of last weekend screwing around with it, until I threw in the towel, packed it back up in its box and took it back!

Same thing with a Sears 16 inch model... Same EXACT thing... Scrap that one, took it back as well. And their drill bits, lets just say DULL quickly...

The press was replaced yesterday with a RYOBI press that works very well. I just finished doing ALL of the TC Rods I had in stock, and all the clevis brackets as well... In three hours... So much nicer when you have the right tools...

BLU-MOLY drill bits ARE AWESOME! I used them exclusively on this last batch of drilling, wich took a lot, since I was drilling 3/4 inch holes in 1/8th inch steel for the clevis and 25/64th in the TC Rod, which is closer to 1/2 inch steel. Those bits did NOT dull after drilling through 24 holes each!

PORTER CABLE also makes excellent SawZallz and impact guns... I highly recommend them for heavy duty tools!

Mike :D

I thought I would add to this. Here is just a few tools that I have and use almost everyday. I rated them on a scale from 1-10, 1 being the lowest and 10 being the highest. Some are used for wood working, but can also be used for metal working. Since some of you do home improvment also, I included a few tools that are used for just wood working. Some of these tools are many years old and some are almost brand new. I scored these tools based on how they hold up to how I use them, and I'm not gentle with tools at all. I can't remember the exact model number of each tool, but I can check if anyone is interested.

Delta

-Drill press- This sucker stands about 5 1/2 feet tall, never had a problem Score 8

-Band saw- Also stands about 5 1/2 feet tall, never had a problem Score 9

DeWALT

-Power drills- Very nice, light wieght Score 7

-Biscut cutter (A.K.A. Plate joiner)- Score 8

Bosch

-Hand held jig saw- Love this tool, very nice Score 9

Makita

-Cordless drills- Take a beating and keep on working Score 9

-Power saws- Great to use, low wieght, straight cuts Score 8

Milwaukee

-10" Miter box- Have 3 of these Score 7

-Heavy Duty Hole Hawg- Simply awsome tool Score 10

-Job site radio- Great radio, can drop it from 2 stories and it still works Score 9

Paslode

-Cordless roughing nailers- Great tool! Saves a lot of time and hassle Score 9

Side note, do not buy the cordless finishing nailers, they are too fussy to work with.

Dou- Fast

-Pneumatic finishing nailers- Keep them oiled properly and they work forever Score 10

Stanley Bostitch

-Brad nailer- If you are going to get a brad nailer, get this one Score 9

Porter Cable

-Tiger Saw- Hands down, the best sawz all I have used Score 10

-Compound miter box- piece of crap, falls apart. Company won't stand behind this tool Score 3

-Model 1400 Chop saw- So far so good with this chop saw Score 8

These are just some of the tools that I could think of off the top of my head. Had an air compressor, but it was just stolen off a job site :( .

Excellent thread! I'll chime in here too:

Black and Decker 4" Angle Grinder - I once swore off B&D but this was the most inexpensive trigger handled angle grinder I could find. (I don't like the thumb switches at all) Lots of power and has taken a beating. 8/10

Black and Decker 1/2" Corded Drill - After the sucess with the angle grinder, I bought the 1/2" drill in the same line. (the orange/black ones) Again, no complaints at all for the price. (I think they are putting some thought into these designs now) 8/10

Mastercraft Professional Series Wrenches - Only available in Canada I think, but these rule. I like them better than my Craftsman and my Jet wrenches. Quite affordable too! 10/10

Mac Tools Spot Blaster - This is a little toploading sandblaster that holds 2lbs of sand. Its messy, but it is really inexpensive and works great on small parts and large... (but you have to refill it often) 8/10

Mastercraft Small Pliers - I bought a set of spring loaded pliers, meant for small projects like computer assembly, etc. These things are one of the most used tools I have, great for small stuff, and deceptively strong. (a set comes with side cutters, end cutters, needlenose, and curved needle nose... all minature) 9/10

Craftsman Screwdrivers - Tried and true handle design that won't slip when you are covered in oil. 9/10

6" Bench Vice - Not brand specific, but after toiling with my dads 4" bench vice for years we got a robust 6" one, and what a huge difference. Get the best vice you can afford. 10/10!!

As always, I'd only buy hand tools that are guarenteed for life. Nothing is worse than breaking a wrench, because it usually means a nose, or knuckle as well. ;)

Well since all of you are contributing,

My brother bought me one of those metrinch sets that you see on tv. The 6 inch wobble wore out really quick but the sockets and ratchet are ok. It's not worth the money in my opinion but it is a good set to bring to the Salvage yard. One word of caution though for every tool that you claim on the warranty, it will cost you $5 per item plus that doesnt count the money you spent sending the darn things to them. I still prefer my Craftsman handtools for ease of exchange when i break them. (which is rare) Stay away from Craftsman power tools though.

I have to give a big thumbs up to Craftsman hand tools.

I just returned from Sears where I exchanged all of my hand tools that were worn in any way shape or form. :twisted:

Some of the sockets had been mushroomed from beating on them with a hammer, or wollered out from useing them on my 500ft lb impact gun.

Some pliers that had worn jaws, an adjustable wrench that just wasn`t shiney enough, :D

my screwdrivers that had worn tips, open end wrenches with nicks on the jaws, and even punches that I`ve used to pry with.

All in all I think there were almost 150 pieces. They exchanged everything with no questions asked. :2thumbs:

As you can see, I`m not easy on my tools either, and most of the Craftsman tools I`ve bought was from flea markets and swap meets.

I usually pay about 50% of what Sears charges for the same tool.

OK, her is my contribution:

Chicago Electric 230V MIG welder (gas/flux core) from Harbor Freight:

Has worked very admirably, while not top class, well worth the $350 8/10

Makita 4" disk grinder: I have done ALL of my cutting with this, from the subframes and roll cage, to body panels and patches: 9/10

Harbor freight screwdriver set (I bought this to augment my Craftsman set)...great quality, great grip, and have a hex for using a wrench for torque. They have outlasted my Craftsman ones!! 8/10

Tim

Well since all of you are contributing' date='

My brother bought me one of those metrinch sets that you see on tv. The 6 inch wobble wore out really quick but the sockets and ratchet are ok. It's not worth the money in my opinion but it is a good set to bring to the Salvage yard. One word of caution though for every tool that you claim on the warranty, it will cost you [b']$5 per item[/b] plus that doesnt count the money you spent sending the darn things to them. I still prefer my Craftsman handtools for ease of exchange when i break them. (which is rare) Stay away from Craftsman power tools though.

Thats odd, I have a Metrinch set I bought 4 years ago and use them as my main tool set... I haven't had any problems out of them.. (and they have taken quite a beating :D ) I like them mainly because I don't have to search for metric or standard tools what whatever I am working on.... I just grab the Metrinch set.. maybe there was a flaw in the extention ??? :?

As far as Craftsman power tools.... Yes they are complete CRAP! I have a lawn mower and weedeater that I bought about 2 years ago and they have both failed.. I finally got the Mower to work , but the weedeater still won't..... :evil:

Craftsman stuff is hit and miss...

My Craftsman Grinder 4 inch grinder works GREAT, as does my 6 inch bench grinder. I've got a Craftsman 6 inch bench vise that works well. Lawn stuff though, I've experienced the same as Cruz...

I've got some Black and Decker saws (Cordless drill and saw package), and a Jig saw from them that work exceptionally well.

My Craftsman Compressor is working well so far...

My hand tools are a mix of Craftsman and hand-me-downs from my dad's days of being a mechanic in the 70's. As they break I replace them, tkaing the craftsman stuff back for free replacement.

My Lincoln Welder is increadible... I suspect I weld more than most of the guys on the board (But there are several of you guys who do it for a living I know!) and my little SP125 Migpack foes GREAT!

Mike :D

Most Craftsman lawn/garden power tools are rebadged imports.

Jackstands and jacks - at least, the lower-end variety - are made in China. I have a cheapo Craftsman hydraulic jack that "gets tired" after holding up the car for a minute or so. My Craftsman electric die grinder is moderately effective, until vibration loosens the 4 screws that hold the motor housing to the driveshaft housing.

I've had the best luck with Milwaukee eletric power tools - but they are expensive.

But my Craftsman hand tools have been holding up well - except for that screwdriver that I cracked in half, when trying to pry off a pump fitting.

Thats odd, I have a Metrinch set I bought 4 years ago and use them as my main tool set... I haven't had any problems out of them.. (and they have taken quite a beating ) I like them mainly because I don't have to search for metric or standard tools what whatever I am working on.... I just grab the Metrinch set.. maybe there was a flaw in the extention ???

I like the metrinch too, the main beef i have with it is the $5 per item meaning per socket per ratchet per anything as a shipping fee back to you. I just went ahead and bought a worn out craftsman rathcet from a flea market for a $3 and got a new one in exchange and i just put masking tape on the wobble so the socket wont fall off when im about to mount it on a nut. Like i said they're ok but for the money the cheapest i would go is probably Home Depot Husky, they exchange them too like Craftsman.

I'll chime in.

-Harbor freight orange Chicago Electric heavy duty reciprocating saw (sawzall knockoff). While not the best, if used with Milwakee sawzall blades, it's quite good. Has 6 speeds to work with, blades aren't as easy to change as a milwakee - you have to use an allen wrench. Some of the complaints are the rubber sleeve will inch forward, and it gets somewhat annoying. 8/10 - $40 on sale

-HF chicago electric 4.5" angle grinder. Paired up with a cut off wheel, makes very quick work of hacking up frame rails and such. Works like a charm, 9/10 - $17.95 on sale

-Harbor Freight 12 ton press. poorly assembled/fit piece of junk. Most parts won't line up right when you assemble it, and I snapped a cheap grade 2 bolt when putting it together. While it did the job (albeit somewhat poorly) it took a while to easily line things up. It's a simple built, metal frame with a 12 ton bottle jack on a platform suspended on 2 heavy duty springs. 5/10 -$99

I've got to chime in here:

Snap On 3/8 ratchet: Bought one about 10 years ago, very notchy action and way too much angle needed for the next click. The little screws that hold the ratchet mechanism CONSTANTLY come loose, finally broke the ratchet mechanism. Cheesy aluminum cover on the back of the ratchet head gets dinged up FAST. The Snap On guy comes by the shop and WON'T warranty it!!! Tells me I ABUSED it. BS!!! Score: 1/10 Price: TOO DAMNED MUCH!

Craftsman 3/8 ratchet: got the one with the button and toggle switch on the back. Ratchet mechanism much smoother than Snap On, but after a year or so felt "loose". This one I DID abuse. Finally I had a cheater pipe on it, DESTROYED it. Took it to Sears, the salesman looked at it and said "We don't have this model anymore, but you can exchange for the new upgraded model." No hassles. The release button sometimes gets pressed when you stick it in a tight spot, causing the socket or extension to fall off. Score 7/10 Price: cheap

Favorite tool of all time: Snap On ratcheting screwdriver. This thing is AWESOME! Liked it so much I bought one for my dad for XMas that year. Worth every penny of the $40 I paid close to 10 years ago.

Today I went to get an engine crane. 2 ton folding crane from Harbor Freight: $159.95!!! I had seen it on the internet for $249.95. Also bought 2 ton load leveler for $29.95! Part #'s 35915-5VGA and 5402-4VGA. I haven't used these yet, but I've used similar cranes with no probs.

Jon

The press was replaced yesterday with a RYOBI press that works very well.

I purchased the Ryobi benchtop model about 6 months ago and had the adjustable work surface (base) crack within a few weeks. I've yet to replace it.

My power tools are all Makita, Craftsman or Ryobi and they all have worked fine for years.

Hands-down, the best tool purchase I've ever made was a complete set of Snap-On nut drivers. They have the wide, hollow shaft that allows the shaft to slip way down over bolts (so you can continue to tighten nuts several inches down the bolt). No other nut drivers I've ever found are wide engough to slip over the bolts very far.

The second best purchase was a Snap-on stubby (thumb style) screwdriver with ratchet attachement. Great for working in really tight places.

My Craftsman nut drivers will work on long bolts. I believe they slip over just as the snap-on units.

Snap-on and Mac are way to pricey for me. Their warrantee only covers "normal use" :roll:.What the hell is normal use? I use whatever tool I have, however it takes to get the job done. Even if it means cutting the tool in half, then welding it back together at a different angle(which I`ve done) .

Sears will replace it no matter what I`ve done to it. :wink: I once broke the drive off of Mac 3/8 ratchet. Then I had to argue with the Mac guy over whether or not I had used a pipe or not on it.(which I didn`t)

He finally replaced it, but two weeks later I stripped the gears out of it. Two years later it`s still broken. I just didn`t think it was worth the arguement or hassle of tracking the Mac truck down again.

I have Craftsman Hand tools. I've only had to have 1 replaced (socket that split trying to loosen a rusted nut).

My Craftsman angle grinder has served me well, and never missed a beat.

My Craftsman upright 6hp/60gal oil-less air compressor will probably last forever. I've probably turned it on less than 50 times in the 8 years I've had it. TOO DAMNED LOUD!!!

My no-name, 5" jaw vise is my best tool. The jaws can be rotated 360 degrees in the vertical plane - very useful. I laugh when I hit it by accident when beating on something and the body filler chips off! I guess the casting process was so bad that they felt they better do body work to these to get them to sell!

Denny: I agree with you on the cost of Snap-On and Mac tools. The only reason I purchased these (more than 15 years ago) was because the Snap-On van stopped at the stereo install shop where I was working and he let me "try out" the tools for a week before I bought 'em. At the time, I couldn't find nut drivers like them anywhere else. The screw driver was indespensable for stereo installs. By the time a week was up, I was hooked! :roll: I've never regretted it.

I have power tools from Makita, Dewalt, Black & Decker, and others. The best tools I have purchased (best meaning either time saving, or indestructable)

- Makita drills, etc., I have a 3/8" 7.2v cordless, and a 1/2" corded. From my experience, the corded model uses less wattage than similar models from other manufacturers. I also have a 9.6v 3/8" cordless impact. My dad gave this to me for christmas one year and I thought I would not use it much. I did not for a while. The more I use it now, the more I like it. Well worth the investment.

- Dewalt 12" Compound Miter Saw, bought this remanufactured at a Homier Distrbuting Tent sale. Paid $199 when they were over $400 locally. Great time saver.

- Bostich Phenumatic Framing Nailer, Drives up to a 16 penny nail. I am still to scared of it to use it to its potential, but it is the biggest time saver I have ever purchased.

I have a Task Force 18v 1/2" cordless drill I purchased from Homier for $39, I figured it was worth a try. It seems to be OK, but I have not used it enough to make a very good assessment. I do need a second battery for it. I just tend to grab the Makita (smaller and lighter) for most jobs.

I have a Scag commercial mower that I bought in May. It should last a long time, but I have had a few small issues with it. However, the cut it gives is amazing. The other mowers I have used on my yard cannot compare to the quallity cut. If I stay on top of my mowing, I can cut my acre in under 40 min.

I have a remanufactured 17cc Weed Eater brand trimmer, straight shaft, the best trimmer I have ever owned.

Do not buy a Ryobi trimmer, they seem to have carberator troubles. Mine developed problems after two seasons; it would only run with the choke on. My dad had an identicall one, and it would flood out while it was running.

Well since all of you are contributing' date='

My brother bought me one of those metrinch sets that you see on tv. The 6 inch wobble wore out really quick but the sockets and ratchet are ok. It's not worth the money in my opinion but it is a good set to bring to the Salvage yard. One word of caution though for every tool that you claim on the warranty, it will cost you [b']$5 per item[/b] plus that doesnt count the money you spent sending the darn things to them. I still prefer my Craftsman handtools for ease of exchange when i break them. (which is rare) Stay away from Craftsman power tools though.

Thats odd, I have a Metrinch set I bought 4 years ago and use them as my main tool set... I haven't had any problems out of them.. (and they have taken quite a beating :D ) I like them mainly because I don't have to search for metric or standard tools what whatever I am working on.... I just grab the Metrinch set.. maybe there was a flaw in the extention ??? :?

As far as Craftsman power tools.... Yes they are complete CRAP! I have a lawn mower and weedeater that I bought about 2 years ago and they have both failed.. I finally got the Mower to work , but the weedeater still won't..... :evil:

I'm with you, I love my Metrinch set!!! I built my whole car with them! I love that you don't have to search for metric or standard tools also. :D

I just Jinxed myself... My freaking Sears Craftsman Compressor Died tonight, or sometime over the last few days... Makes a sound like it is trying to run, but not pumping any air into the tank... Big 60 gallon unit with 6.5 HP motor... Singlestage... DAMN!

Mike :twisted:

Guest iamjackal

I have an ugly mix of tools. Bunch of junk Autozone and walmart tools in one box for junkyard use. Bunch of Sanp on tools, I love them but I cant afford them, they were my grandpa, he was a foreman at snap on before he passed away. funny how many friends we never knew my grandad had when he died. Really damn sick actually all sorts of guy stopping by the week of the funeral wanting to claim his tools.

also a bunch of Craftsmen, most all well worth the money. Black and Decker cordless drills I dislike them they have the hand chuck which is impossible to get tight enough to keep bit from sliding up inside chuck. Also use 10 dollar Rural king angle grinders, cheap and I go through about 2 year but they are cheap.Milwaukee die grinder, nice and strong just to awkward and heavy to be useful for precision grinding. I prefer my cheap cambel Hausfeld air grinder instead.Sears brand sawzal, I will be replacing with a Tiger soon.

Glad to see all the posts on the tools, i think I will stay from the Mac man.