HybridZ

Have any of you ever dealt with a dipshit?

auxilary

I just had a field day today with probably the most arrogant ******* I've had the displeasure of working with. The guy who's supposed to be welding (not for free, he's being paid) was looking at my Z to do the manifold welding. He's a fabricator (or claims to be), and he did in fact point out flaws in my design and build of the rotary mounts as they will somewhat interfere with the motor. He made valid points about relocating the motor, designing a better crossbrace, etc., half of which I already knew.

However, the MANNER in which he presented this information was completely astounding. He treated me as if I was a 10 year old unfamiliar with any concept and imagination, wouldn't let me state a single point, with extreme sarcasm that even I didn't have a responce to. And this guy is looking to be PAID for work he's [was] going to be doing! The best [worst] part would've been the fact that I actually asked him politely to discuss it without sarcasm and facetiousness, to which I received a reply of "No can do! It's who I am!"

He went as far as to start explaining to me how a rotary engine works, because apparently I don't know how the engine that's sitting in my engine bay functions!

I was so fumed, I was debating whether to interrupt him and pull a classic 'aux' and simply say "Sorry, I'm walking away as I'm not interested in talking to you anymore", or to sock him in the face with a steel pipe.

Instead I opted to let him finish, let his inferiority complex get out completely in front of several others. This guy was clearly compensating for low self esteem, set out to belittle others to make himself look better. Instead, he managed to piss off a few people in the process and make himself look like an idiot.

:x

Still fuming

Dam..that sucks.I ran into alot of guys like that that worked on my last Z.I just wanted to punch them right in the F!@#in face.When I want something done right., I do it my self now.If I dont know how to do it...I will ask friends advise but that's it.

If your interested in having someone work on your car that does custom fabrication.I could recommend a couple guys that I know that used to work for Dominator.They do excellent work and one of them is working on my cousins (Darius) car.They are in Pleasant Hill.You can look at the fab work on my cage and D's car and see his work.He wont talk crap to you either, he's cool.

Man, I've been there and done that! Some people are just set in their ways and you either have to deal with the BS they sling or find someone else. The tradeoff, the "normal" guy might SUCK in his fabrication skills. I guess I'm lucky that my fabricator is also one of my best friends, but if he ever pisses me off.....

Just remember, always clean blood up with bleach, it maims the DNA evidence

I just found a way to get away with it. :twisted:

I'm fortunate in the fact that I don't tend to seek people to do much of my own work, and the few times I've had to have led me to people with a measure of tact and professionalism... I'd have politely asked him to LEAVE! :twisted:

You did well Alex... Better man than I! :D

Mike 8)

Kinda sound like my boss.. always pointing out things that he 'thinks' are alright to do, and it's not a problem.. and 'explaining' things to me that I already know.. when I'M the guy with more automotive expirience!! (he's said this) but he's the boss, so you know where that goes.. :evil: He OBVIOUSLY knows little to nothing on a subject, (he knows machining, I'll give him that) but because he's the boss, he 'must' know more than me (lowely 2nd year aprentice) :roll: unfortunatly, I can't tell him where to go... yet. got to finish this dang appreticship and get my papers...

There are a lot of bitter people out there. A lot of jerks, a lot of losers, and a lot of inconsiderate brats. Sounds like he's all of the above. I'd say, thank him, pray for him, then report him to the IRS, FBI and claim he told you about burring some bodies in a nearby field after cheating on his taxes :shock: , oh and if he's married, call up at 3am crying and asking why he won't come back to you :cry: (you'll be doing her a favor). If he has kids, call CPS, you'll be doing them a favor.

You'll feel better and haven't actually done anything wrong (technically). He was blithering and blathering about the inner workings of a wankle, those words could have been easily misunderstood. 8)

Did I forget to mention do it all anonymously? :twisted:

• 2 weeks later...

so yesterday I was wrenching on the car, welding up plates and mounting the motor again. My friend and I are mounting up and measuring the motor in the car, when the aforementioned welder comes in, who would've been doing the welding on stainless for me for a good price. Instead he was a jackass

He comes in, sees the motor repositioned, and goes "Hey! Look at that! you listened to me, and now you're mounting the motor up properly! Now, isn't that better?", in a very sarcastic tone. I'm wrenching on a bracket, tell him "yup" right as I'm letting one fly right in front him. Quietly.

He walks away, and comes up at a later time, and sees the header I got from a buddy. it now fits. He looks around at it, examines it, and I am watching his face make an unpleasant grimace. We get back to the car, and I slap the new header onto the motor, it clears frame rails, I bolt it down and strap the turbo to it.

I look over at the welder, and see his facial expression read: I got owned.

revenge is best served cold, 2 weeks later, in a diplomatic fashion without using a single word of foul language

Instead I opted to let him finish, let his inferiority complex get out completely in front of several others. This guy was clearly compensating for low self esteem, set out to belittle others to make himself look better. Instead, he managed to piss off a few people in the process and make himself look like an idiot.

Sounds like most welders/fabricators. They (me?) spend a lot of time alone thinking about things and there's no one around to tell them their thoughts are out of whack.

Absolutely the best welder/fabricator I know starts any answer to a question I ask him with, "You're just a f***ing idiot." But, he knows his stuff and I've learned a bunch from him. Also, I've told him he's a f***ing idiot a few times and he's agreed with me. So, sometimes giving as much as you get works.

Patience of a saint...I might have lost my bottle and told him where to go...however your method did the trick

He walks away, and comes up at a later time, and sees the header I got from a buddy. it now fits. He looks around at it, examines it, and I am watching his face make an unpleasant grimace. We get back to the car, and I slap the new header onto the motor, it clears frame rails, I bolt it down and strap the turbo to it.

I look over at the welder, and see his facial expression read: I got owned.

revenge is best served cold, 2 weeks later, in a diplomatic fashion without using a single word of foul language

FYI... another fabricator that has an outstanding reputation is up in your neck of the woods: http://www.tcdesignfab.com/

I've raced against Tony and he's a nice guy.

Totally agreed. He's done some work on several of my friends BMWs as well as my own. He's easy to talk to, knows his stuff and his prices aren't too bad either.

As a former pipefitter/welder I do not know if I should take offence, just kidding. I always found that there are a lot phrases to get your point across.

How about this

Do you think this will work better?

If we do it this way it might work better

Did you ever think of this?

It is always better to ask than to order. If your boss asks you to do something you will most likely get right on it, if it is an order most of us will do the task, but not as efficiently as we could.

:roll:

Alex,

Ever contemplate that hes talking to you like that because he's responsible for doing a good job and wants to do a good job?

He could be a prick too I wont leave that option out, but on the other hand, I know a lot of guys that talk the same way, not because they are mean or disrespectful-they are all business and busy people with lives and families, if they acted any way people would step all over them. This is my take on it and I could be wrong, since I am not the one.

• 2 weeks later...
Alex' date='

Ever contemplate that hes talking to you like that because he's responsible for doing a good job and wants to do a good job?

He could be a prick too I wont leave that option out, but on the other hand, I know a lot of guys that talk the same way, not because they are mean or disrespectful-they are all business and busy people with lives and families, if they acted any way people would step all over them. This is my take on it and I could be wrong, since I am not the one.[/quote']

at that point i didn't care how good of a job he does. He could be the best welder in the world and make Jesse James drool over his welding skills, I still wouldn't deal with him.

Remember your buddy at Blackhawk, and how he was against microtech? This guy is 10x worse :)

Welcome to my world. I can deal with ignorance to a point but seldom arrogance and/or stupidity. As an engineering manager I encounter situations almost daily where I'm left wondering how the individual is still alive since they obviously are missing critical instincts/abilities. I've trained my department that whenever I say I'm "Having a Red moment" they think of Red off "That 70's Show" and know I'm dealing with another dumb---!!