HybridZ

This is why...

fl327

The work that the poor guy spots out in the link is just disgusting, coming from a guy that likes zipties himself. 22 months 7k.. yikes.

Work like this is what made me learn to fix things myself. Stuff like this reminds me of how hard it is to be a sucessful tuner,although these guys seem to really suck.

http://www.matthews210turboconversion.com/

Stuff like this reminds me of how hard it is to be a sucessful tuner,although these guys seem to really suck.

Its not that hard. You just need to follow a couple simple rules:

1. Be absolutely honest in all dealings with your customers.

2. Always remember Clint Eastwood's quote from Magnum Force: "A man's got to know his limitations."

Its not that hard. You just need to follow a couple simple rules:

1. Be absolutely honest in all dealings with your customers.

2. Always remember Clint Eastwood's quote from Magnum Force: "A man's got to know his limitations."

Well put.

FWIW, As we all know there are two sides to a story. An interesting follow up to this is on this site's link....

http://www.sr20forum.com/showthread.php?t=102561&page=1&pp=20

The owner of JGY Customs provides his side to points brough up in that thread in another thread that he provides a link to. The web site linked in this thread is mentioned and a competitor has his hands in some of the complaints too.

It's been my experience to take my car, that has a problem, to a shop and have the person there blame it on something that the other shop had done wrong.All I know for sure is in owning and running a small buisness most people don't have a clue what they are getting into......

LARRY

Though I will same of the stuff this guy is bitching about is either really minor' date=' or just wrong.

http://www.matthews210turboconversion.com/coolingfan.html

Personally I'd rather have my fan pulling the air in the direction it would be travelling when I am driving forward. :P[/quote']

:lol: That's pretty bad, especially considering the guy who had the work done says he's ASE certified???

Sounds like assclown vs assclown to me...

Though I will say of the stuff this guy is bitching about is either really minor' date=' or just wrong.

http://www.matthews210turboconversion.com/coolingfan.html

Personally I'd rather have my fan pulling the air in the direction it would be travelling when I am driving forward. :P[/quote']

I think what he's saying is they used a pusher fan in place of a puller fan wired backwards

Uh, yeah. So when you buy a fan, do you go purchase a pusher or a puller?

It depends. Most of the fans that can go both ways have a compromise blade design. Some of the fans (SPAL in particular) have fan blades designed to be more efficient either pulling or pushing based on the application. My Mercedes 420SEL had an electric pusher fan in front of the radiator with a completely different fan blade shape then the puller fan I had on the back of my 240Z's radiator - both were made by SPAL.

It depends. Most of the fans that can go both ways have a compromise blade design. Some of the fans (SPAL in particular) have fan blades designed to be more efficient either pulling or pushing based on the application. My Mercedes 420SEL had an electric pusher fan in front of the radiator with a completely different fan blade shape then the puller fan I had on the back of my 240Z's radiator - both were made by SPAL.

OK, you're right, but the complaint wasn't "They used the less efficient pusher/puller fan blade design", and as I read it Drax had it right. The guy wanted the fan mounted behind to push air forward into the radiator. My point was that if it was mounted behind the radiator and the blade and wiring were reversed to work as a puller then that is totally legit. I don't like the wiring much, but like I said before, it just proves that they're both assclowns...

Well, all I can say is if a guy is willing to Pay some dude with a steel building and a lift 7grand, and allows him 2 years to put an engine in a car, then I'm opening my own fab shop.

It's what I want to do, but I didn't figure I could make much money at it.

Like JohnC says, you'd have to be very honest and upfront about your capabilities.

Caveat Emptor. Ultimately its up to the customer(s). When you first feel uncomfortable about the work you see or something the vendor said, start asking questions. A good thing to say is, "I'm uncomfortable with how you built (installed, wired, plumbed, etc.) this part. Can you explain to me why you did it this way?" Don't ever, ever say, "That's not right! I read on the Internet..."

Guest tony78_280z
uncomfortable with how you built (installed, wired, plumbed, etc.) this part. Can you explain to me why you did it this way?" Don't ever, ever say, "That's not right! I read on the Internet..."
I don't care what reason he would have for doing it, this here is just wrong. -> http://www.matthews210turboconversion.com/harnessconnector.html

and here -> http://www.matthews210turboconversion.com/jgycustomsfueldelivery3.html

I've seen and been a part of this in the past...

How many times have any of you seen something online or at the store, on an impulse, Bought it, and then shook your head a month later in wonderment of your own stupidity?

This happens all the time when guys go to shops and "ASK" about having some work done. I like the guys at Express Auto who are working on Jim's car. But some of the work they are doing isn't explained well to Jim. A job that seems on paper like it would take 10 minutes can and sometimes DOES take ALL DAY, if you want it done right. Sometimes things don't go as planned and sometimes things can blow up in your face, for the shop owner, and the customer.

I HATE reading these "This shop screwed me" posts, because often times there are THREE sides to the story... What the customer asked for, What the Shop owner Agreed to deliver, and what his skills and the customer's money produced!

Mike

This guy (doing the complaining) sounds a lot like my boss; He wants something done, and thats that. You start the job... Then, he'll change his mind, or see something being done 'not the way he'd do it' so he'll btch about it. Then, he'll complain about how long it's taking/took, and how much $$$ he's spending. After a few times around this circle, people tend to get a little... pissed. Some of the pics of the 'shops' work do look a little hack, but who's to say exactly how those issues came into being.. was the owner of the car poking his head in evry once in a while? Was he complaining about things in a.. negative way?

Personally, I wouldn't have let it get this far.. I'm in the middle of a fiasco with my engine re-build righ now and it comes down to this; It's my fault. I gave the guy my parts/cash/FSM and even though I had a bad feeling the next week, I let it go another week. I've lost contact with the guy now (going on 3 weeks) and there's no telling when (IF) I'll get my stuff back at all, never mind complete.

I have zip ties on my car. Heck, I've even got an gallon Minute Maid orange juice container for my overflow right now. I won't take a side on this one, it just makes me glad that I have done the work myself. If it is sub-par, who am I going to complain to about it! Wow, the hours that guy must have spent putting his rant website together!