HybridZ

Need help with a car decision, sell my Z to buy this?

Guest bastaad525

Guest bastaad525

Well... this has been driving me nuts... there's this car for sale... and I reeeeeally really want this car. The only problem is... there's really no way for me to get the money, other than to sell my Z. I mean... I love my Z, it's quick, it's fun... but it has it's downsides too, and really, is pretty far from 'done' as far as I'm concerned. It would take soooo much more money for me to do many of the other things that I consider *necessary* for this car to be 'complete'.

So here's the deal, the details on my Z are in my Sig. Now, the car I want to buy, is a '91 Nissan Sentra SE-R with a turbocharged motor in it. Here are the details on that car:

'91 SE-R chassis

Red with sunroof (note: it looks EXACTLY like my current Sentra but with WAY nicer wheels and big fat exhaust tip)

Rebuilt Bluebird motor

GTIR pistons

S3 cams

T28 turbo

555cc injectors (yellow tops)

Cobra MAF with cone filter

JWT 3bar ecu

Greddy BOV (the purple one) (that's the type S isn't it?)

3" DP

FMIC with custom aluminum piping (very nice, all TIG welded)

Tranny is solid, no 5th gear popout

New Nismo HD clutch

No oil or tranny leaks

17" Racing Hart C2's (3 piece, polished lip) with good rubber

Motivational coilovers

Stillen adj. camber plates

Blitz SBC and Power Meter

Blitz DC boost gauge

Blitz DC water temp

Alpine head unit and Polk speakers (front and rear)

Momo Corsa steering wheel

Working A/C

The seller says "Car is solid and very fast. I have not had it over 10psi. I've been told it will be ok at 15-18psi, but honestly, it's fast enough at 10psi. This is the stiffest Sentra chassis I've ever driven (without a cage), it must have led a very pampered life, it's not all flexy like most out there. Clean title. It is smogged, although it will need to be smogged for a title change, as with any car. The odometer reads 16x,xxx. Abouth 2500-3000 miles on motor. Car needs to go now. Was asking $6500, but now best offer over $3500 by Friday 2/4 gets it. You could buy this car and part it out for over twice that. I don't have time, just need it out of my garage."

All that for as low as $3500!! Looking at the list of upgrades, he has EASILY got like 4x that if not more invested in the car...it's got all the stuff done to it that I had hoped to do to my Z one day, such as full EFI system upgrade and coilover suspension, as well it has a nice sterero, working A/C and heater.... and weatherstripping! All things my Z is lacking, and things that keep me from driving the Z more than once a week. And it's got it all without the beautiful odors of fuel and exhaust that my Z loves to make me choke on. And with all those upgrades, I imagine it'd be no big deal making this car actually faster than my Z, I'm guessing he could probably support up to 300hp on that setup at least? And of course it will already handle better, and even with the stock 4 wheel disk brakes, brake better than my 240 as well... and yet would make a perfectly fine daily driver to boot.

The only REAL concern about this car is the smogging... but this guy has had it smogged and registered... said it passed the sniffer test with flying colors... so obviously it can be done. The smogging is really one of the last real advantages the Z has, well that and the roomy engine bay = easy to work on... those are the only technical things the Z concedes to this car (well the Z looks better of course :P but I've always liked the early 90's Sentras... very reminscent of the 510's to me).

So... what do you guys think? Should I do it? I should be able to sell the Z for as much as maybe $5k, so might even walk away with some cash, not to mention I could sell my stock Sentra SE-R as well and get even more cash out of the whole deal... and the SE-R is a pretty rare car as well, really not a lot of these rolling around on the street these days... so it even matches the Z on that point... I've always wanted to own something a bit more rare than the usual Honda :) .

Well... I'm in a real crisis here and could really use some opinions... I'm sooo so close to selling my Z to buy this car, I just don't want to regret it later. Help me out guys!

Guest bastaad525

yeah don't worry I do know there's no way it could actually be smog legal... but you know... neither is my 240, and now you guys really have me worried about these checkpoints... god forbid I ever get stopped at one I will be *SO* screwed.

Okay so... I understand that the Sentra will be a bit (or a lot) more hassle than just worrying about checkpoints with the Z, no real comparison there... but hey there are 50 bazillion guys running around on the streets (blatant exaggeration ;) ) with cars like this with turbo kits or nitrous or whatever that should never pass smog and yet they do year after year. I only wish I could get in on some of their secrets... if it's just a matter of increased cost, then that is no worry at all.

So far the smog issue is one of the few downsides of the Sentra, and I must say it seems to be far outweighed by the Z's downsides, and the fact that it should outperform the Z in every respect is really tipping the scales... Tim one thing to keep in mind is I am VERY strongly leaning towards moving out of state right now and may finally be doing that within the year, so the smog issue may not be an issue.

I'm like... 60% in favor of doing this deal right now... I keep driving my stock SE-R around and just imagining what it would be like with 2x the power and a kick *** suspension... that bringing a smile to my face followed by a frown as I just start the whole argument over in my head again.

Keep the words of wisdom coming guys... I really need a strong kick one way or the other... some really good reasons to keep or sell

Well, keep in mind that it is the seller's responsibility to provide you with a smog certificate for the sale. They are valid for 90 days, so if he has done it recently, then it will work......then you won't have to worry about it for 2 more years.

Guest bastaad525

sweet I didn't even know that much... I'll be sure and ask him just when he smogged it... he did mention though something to the effect of "buyer will have to smog at purchase" so Im' betting it's been past 90 days... considering that ad was from 3 mos ago, it's probably already been 6-12 mos since he smogged it last.

Let me throw my thoughs at you..........

I'm looking at this from a different time in life prospective.... How many times have you read on here that a new member has joined because he had a Z years ago and now wants one again and has to find one in " good " condition and the trouble he has doing that?????? You have that now and so what if it's not all you want it to be!! That's part of having a HybridZ. None of us are ever DONE with our cars. Every week something new comes out or someone here posts something they've done and we say .....DAMN....I got to do that. So to have more that you want to do or need to do, join the club. Every car show, esp. hot rod shows I go to, I gather more people that look at the car and tell me all about the Z they had years ago and they are always smiling. Do you want to be one of those????

By now you know every change in the sounds you hear when driving and that it means something and you stop and look. Do you want to start all over with this new car????? I feel there is more than meets the eye for his sale and you might inherit an all new bag of worms. 15 or so years down the road you don't want to look back and be kicking yourself at a Z car show because of selling this now. 15 or so years from now try doing what you've done up to now from scratch........

That's enough ranting for now.....:burnout:

LARRY

Let me throw my thoughs at you..........

I'm looking at this from a different time in life prospective.... How many times have you read on here that a new member has joined because he had a Z years ago and now wants one again and has to find one in " good " condition and the trouble he has doing that?????? You have that now and so what if it's not all you want it to be!! That's part of having a HybridZ. None of us are ever DONE with our cars. Every week something new comes out or someone here posts something they've done and we say .....DAMN....I got to do that. So to have more that you want to do or need to do' date=' join the club. Every car show, esp. hot rod shows I go to, I gather more people that look at the car and tell me all about the Z they had years ago and they are always smiling. Do you want to be one of those????

By now you know every change in the sounds you hear when driving and that it means something and you stop and look. Do you want to start all over with this new car????? I feel there is more than meets the eye for his sale and you might inherit an all new bag of worms. 15 or so years down the road you don't want to look back and be kicking yourself at a Z car show because of selling this now. 15 or so years from now try doing what you've done up to now from scratch........

That's enough ranting for now.....:burnout:

LARRY[/quote']

Sage advice!!!

....and remember....mind your elders! :-D

I have to give a very hearty second to what COZY said.

I'm one of those guys who had a Z early in my life that I was forced to part with and finally got another.

An SE-R may be a rare car but it's also a fairly rare person who will know what it is and notice. To everyone else your driving around just another riced out econo-box. If thats what you're into then I guess it's OK but I'd rather have the style of the Z.

The question also arises "What is wrong with this thing that makes the guy want to sell it so badly?". Maybe it doesn't have any problems, maybe it does, can you tell at this point? You know all the warts your Z has and thats why you think you want to sell it. I'd rather keep the devil I know than acquire one I know nothing about.

If you do decide to go for the SE-R look me up in about 10 years when you're looking for another early Z and there are none to be had, maybe we can work a deal but it'll cost you dearly.

Wheelman

Man, we are exact opposites here. I had a SE-R with a T04E/T3 turbo, JWT ECU, 50lb injectors 3" downpipe and exhaust, you know...the works. It ran a 12.20 at 119 mph and I had much room to grow. I only had the Stage 2 turbo and I had a Stage 5 with 72lb injectors waiting to be installed. Mid to low 11's were in my reach. Mind you, this was a STOCK engine. No cams, no headwork, no built bottom end. I mean stock. I used to run 15psi on 93 octane ALL DAY with no detonation. However all of this changed one day when I was over my buddy Josh's house. His dad had a very clean '73 blue 240Z just sitting there. He didn't drive it for over 6 years and it still started up. I asked if I could buy it, three weeks later we shook hands and sealed the deal. I later parted out the SE-R and I'll be the first to tell you, she wasn't much to look at, but that car was a legend for taking out a Viper, Z06 Vette and many Muscle Cars (including a certain GN) in Milwaukee. I'd say do it. If I could build another turbo SE-R and KEEP the Z, it's on. PM me for pix of the engine bay.

People may think that it's another ricer out econo box, but man will they learn.

I'm gona agree with those guys too man.. Keep the Z. I've driven a sentra SER ..it was quick, and just being so much newer (than my Z) it felt very 'tight' and solid. Thing is.. it's no Z, and even if it is a rare model, its still.. well, a Sentra. PLUS, insurance costs are gona be a little silly because of the 'special build' and rarity. Like has been said, to the average joe, it's just a Sentra with nice rims and a loud(er) exhast. Drive by the average joe in a Z though... :wink:

I get ideas like this sometimes too.. A few months ago I saw an 86 Porsche 944 in MINT shape, 110 miles on it and the guy wanted $4500. I started doing the math, and figure I could get at least $3K for my Z, and use my credit card cash advance (for the rest) to get the Porsche.. Then I thought... :twak: thats retarded! If I take that $1500 and put it into the car I ALREADY HAVE, I'll have a really nice Z this summer.. Plus I know the existing issues with my car, I know what insurance costs, AND I know how to work on it myself as I have the expiriance with it now (2.5 years of blood sweat and tears). It's your call but I'd stick with the Z.

You know the smog headaches that these guys are talking about. YOU are going to have the same headaches with anyone you sell your car to. You are legally responsible to make your Z pass smog.

I don't know why you're worried about the inspection stations BTW. My understanding is that they basically get a sample as you drive by, then pull you over if they want to have a closer look. Your should be CLEANER than a carbed L24 unless your standing on the gas when you drive by the station. It will also be quieter and I would assume a big loud noise is the other thing they are interested in as you drive by.

My thinking at this point in my life is this:

I am not willing to sacrifice my z car to have any other car. There are atleast 10 other projects I would like to have or put together right now, but I will only do them and keep the z at the same time. Like my 34 pontiac. If it means taking 3 years longer to build the pontiac because I keep the z then so be it. I will not sell it just to get the 34 pontiac together, because it will never give me the feeling that the z car does.

Larry is right, I had a Z and sold it for something I was dieing to have, a Jeep wrangler. Not only was it a huge headache and I lost lots of money on it, I was always kicking myself for selling my Z. Now that I have another one once it gets done im never selling it, i dont care if someone offers me twice what i have in it (well i might :confused2 ) but anyways keep the Z man, trust me Larry is right you will kill yourself if you let it go.

Have you ever noticed how everyone looks at your Z when you drive it around town? I used to own a cherry 280ZX that would literally turn every head when I passed by. I sold that car to buy a Corvette and almost cried when it left my driveway. The Vette was also cherry and it would haul major ***, a lot faster than my little ZX ever thought about being. But you know it was just another red Corvette while I was sitting in traffic. No one batted an eye at the car. I sold it less than six months later because I never drove it.

My new 76 280Z is still several different colors. The original color is blue and it has a black primer front right fender a white fiberglass hood, gray MSA fiberglass front and rear and some spots of gray primer on it to boot. But you know what? People still stare at it when I drive through town. Because…it is different…it is a Z…:)

Remember there are not many of the little cars left. Cherish your Z.

Guest KEINoze

Having an overpowered FWD car is pure chaos on the track! It'll tear up those front tires like there's no tomorrow! (quite literally)

A real sports car has always been and alway will be RWD.

My mentality would be that $3500 that would be spent on the Sentra could be spent on your Z to make it even faster. So why bother?

Here is some input from someone who is about to buy a Z. I would say keep your Z man! You have something that many people look and in the end a SE-R is just a Sentra. Out here in NYC I see a few of them running around "there own club" but many people would def rather see a good looking Z roll by. I had a Supercharged Corolla gts and honestly it was still a Corolla. Keep the Z! You won't regret it.

Guest tony78_280z

What kind-a anser did you think you would get asking question like this one a website devoted to Z lovers. :twak: Of course the answer is going to be bias. Go fine a Sentra website and ask them. I bet they'll tell you to get rid of the old out dated Z car. Of course if you listen to them your an idiot!! Stick with the Z.