HybridZ

what welder for $500??

hat1324

I don't think its worth $200 for infinite voltage adjustment. You can get the same effect by varying the stickout. Besides, less settings to screw with when you're new will keep you learning proper technique instead of dialing knobs.

FWIW, I bought my refurb Lincoln SP-100T from weldingmart.com for $370 shipped.

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

For sheet metal, you might want to look at JW HArris TwentyGuage - it is a powder-core wire .030 in diameter that you use with gas and will help in not burning through.

The nice thing about the Hobarts is that they go down to 25 amps, not just the 30 thhat the small Millers go down to.

With the TwentyGuage, you shouldn't have a problem with either machine - or the small Lincoln's either, and the Lincoln goes down to 25 amps also.

I welded in a patch panel on my ZX today and it worked perfectly.

Like I said earlier the Hobart worked perfectly on my ZX last weekend when I welded in a patch panel on the roof line area. I just used the factory settings with .025 wire and I had no proublems ar all. Ofcourse I took my time and only did small portions at a time until I got all the way around it.

ZX has thicker sheet metal than the Z and the 240 has the thinnest metal of all which I'm sure makes a difference. Like Wagz I also think the infinite adjustability is worth it, and I was just playing around with my voltage and wire speed setting while welding on my Z yesterday.

Technique can overcome lack of infinite settings....necessity is the mother of adaptation......if $$ was no object, then that's one thing, and I am the first to say that you should buy the absolute best you can afford when it comes to tools (a capital investment that can be ammortorized over the years of service), but don't get hung up on one feature.....

Before I bought my Millermatic from John C., I used my 220V harbor freight $300 welder for all my bodywork (a lot of sheetmetal welding).......was it more time consuming: Yes. Did it work and come out nicely? You tell me:

msa3.jpg

There goes Tim showing off his nice a$$ again... :icon56:

Seriously though, I agree with Tim. If you can afford the extra layout of cash, get the best you can. If it doesn't include the infinite adjustability, you can adapt your welding technique. Not getting the infinite settings shouldn't stop you from buying a decent welder.

Seriously though, I agree with Tim. If you can afford the extra layout of cash, get the best you can. If it doesn't include the infinite adjustability, you can adapt your welding technique. Not getting the infinite settings shouldn't stop you from buying a decent welder.

OK, I can agree with that statement. You're all right that there is nothing really wrong with the Hobart or other quality welders that don't have the infinite settings, it's just a little more convenient to have them, especially when working on thin rusty sheetmetal.

OK, I can agree with that statement. You're all right that there is nothing really wrong with the Hobart or other quality welders that don't have the infinite settings, it's just a little more convenient to have them, especially when working on thin rusty sheetmetal.

Yeah, we all are correct....if only money wasn't a limited resource....but then I doubt I would building a Z.....Lambo maybe....

Yeah, we all are correct....if only money wasn't a limited resource....but then I doubt I would building a Z.....Lambo maybe....

Well, said!!

Also, if you get back the original budget of 500.00 then that changes lots of things back to either the Hobart or the Lincoln for similar prices and features.

Really, I think good prep, (fit, finish,clean) techique, and taking your time will give you the best results no matter what welder you go with.

im going to get the hobart most likely, where the hell did you get it for 250? im looking at 450 w/a cart..

Tractor Supply, clearance on a display 135 when the 140 came out, I also think I got lucky in that they thought parts were missing, but when they finally found the box, everything was there. Not very often, but every now and then I get lucky like that......

you mean the 135t or the 135 Plus? i dont see a "pro series"...

talking to the welding shop they got me thinking the adjustibility is way important(especially in sheet metal)..

is the 175 one at lowes adjustible?

EDIT: its not a 110 volt unit

the 135T is non adjustable and the 135+ is adjustable.

Yes but its the actual version.. The Lowes/home depot/menards version is called the "PRO MIG 135" very simmilar but it actually is missing things.

UPDATE!!!

I went with Lincon SP-135 Plus, with the cart..

I paid maybe $5 less then what there listed at after Tax hit my discount but its all good..

why did I go with the Lincon and not the Miller?

1. I like the way the Lincon gun feels.

2. The parts that need to be replaced(tips,etc) are $5 for a whole pack and the miller is .40 a piece..

3. both the "cadilac of welders"

4. to weld aluminum cost $60.. cost $500 for the Miller spoolmate..

5. the company I got it from hooked me up with alot of accessories..

plus it says nascar.. what can be cooler then that?

Just to add a little about the Lincoln welders. They make a 135 (compareable to the Hobart 135/140) and a 135 plus (compareable to the Miller 135) which both run on 110v. The plus adds infinite voltage control instead of click stops. Same is true with the 175.