HybridZ

Acceptable + size offset

• Replies 48
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Shisho,

Go on e-bay and look up mustang cobra r. I have ordered some 10.5' wide rear 9' wide for the front. Then go and hassel Ross C. to make up some spacer-adapters and your away. This is the cheepest way I could find to get big feet on my z.

Douglas

Hmmm. Cobra rims, you say. I'll take a peak. Thank you for all the replies, everyone, especially to you, JohnC. :) You are very knowledgable and I thank you for sharing that knowledge with me and everyone reading this post, thank you again. Aloha.

Depends on if you maintain the original tire diameter. A smaller diameter wheel would weigh less but the taller sidewall tire would definitely have more roll-over and different handling characteristics. Braking - other than tire patch size - is affected more by the increased rotational inertia that you get with larger wheels which put the weight of the tire further from the axle centerline.

Depends on if you maintain the original tire diameter. A smaller diameter wheel would weigh less but the taller sidewall tire would definitely have more roll-over and different handling characteristics.

I was thinking in terms of 16" or 17" or 18" wheels. A 245/45/16 should handel great on a Z, assuming the tires have a good compound, and should not have too much sidewall flex

I've come to the conclusion that 16in. possibly 17in. will be the way to go. In saying that. Can I use a 16x8 +15 offset for the front with ZG flares and a 16x9 +0 offset for the rear? If so, I'll be ordering some rims before I even fly back to Japan! :) Thank you for your answers in advance, Aloha.

You will not need flares with 8" wheels with +15 offset. They will set inside the stock fenders. You will need a 0 to - offset for front or back to run flares with either the 8" or 9" wheels to stick out enough for flares. The ZG 240's that run 9.5" wheels with 245/45/16's, have a -19 offset and a stock strut tubes. I would run a -12 to -19 front and rear with flares and 225/50/16 front and 245/45/16 rear.

I'd run the same size tire front and back. Running a big rear tire is great for looks. If you want the car to handle run the same size tire and more track width in the FRONT.

Hmm, I guess I won't tell you that my car looks like a 911 :-) I would widen the front track but I've found that wider rears work for me.

Cary

Wider front track reduces understeer, so yes, it should help with a heavy front bar.

Cary I'm suprised to hear that. I can't think of a single Z autoxer that I know that has narrower track in the front. I suppose if you can get the front to stick well enough with the narrow track in the front than that's what works. I haven't been able to do that.

All of the Mustangs, 510s and Zs that I used to autox with were all running a wider front track too.

Generally, with equal size tires all around, Z racers run a wider front track then rear. If you are running unequal size tires the the end of the car with the narrow tires almost requires as wide a track as possible to retain some semblence of neutral handling.

A good example was Guy Ankney's effort to create a champonship level autox BS 350Z. To get a more neutral balance in low speed corners he ended up running 275 width tires up front and 245 width tires on the rear with 1" rear wheel spacers. Within the limits of stock class rules he used tire and track width to tune out the 350Zs inherent understeer.

Cary I'm suprised to hear that. I can't think of a single Z autoxer that I know that has narrower track in the front. I suppose if you can get the front to stick well enough with the narrow track in the front than that's what works. I haven't been able to do that.

Oddly enough I've gotten it to work well. If I were to continue to run this car I would widen the front to be wider than the rear, if for no other reason having a fat but makes getting around cones a lot harder.

The EMOD car is wider in front if that is any consolation. It's not normal but I thought I'd throw it out there.

Cary

I'm running a narrower track in front but I'm thinking it will be more than fine for just a street car.

Also remember there are far fewer tire choices for width and sidewall on a 16" wheel than a 17". I bought 16 inch and found pretty much only two choices to go with that are even close to stock tire outside diameter.

I've always wondered about the front track on my car...

When John C was here in Florida he mentioned that I needed to move my front wheels out...

I just did some measuring, in stock form on my 75 280z the front track is almost 1 inch narrower than the rear (same tires/rims on front and rear).

I guess it's time to get off my butt and get the right wheel adapters made.

Ken

• 2 weeks later...

I have been looking though alot of old threads and I see alot of people running rims with like say 15+ offset, the ones I want to run are 17x7 with 40+ offset. I have the opinions of a few z'ers and only one said so far that this size of a spacer is safe and strong?! He said to make sure and use a ross C spacer. If anyone else could tell me if they think these rims will work and fit ok i would appreiciate it!! thanks alot guys. http://www.aewheel.com/wheels_detail.cfm?id=286

mine is a '72 240z