HybridZ

Is Nelson OK down in Baton Rouge?

mobythevan

I have been trying to call everyone I know around here for the last 24 hours, but cell service and landlines are both spotty. I was able to contact nelson tonight, and both his Z's are fine. BR was very lucky, we suffered minimal damage. The biggest thing we have to worry about is damage to the power stations. There were only a handful of unlucky homeowners around here with serious damage, and we had almost no water, so no flooding.

The person I am really worried about is Pete (Pallnet.) The last time I talked to him he said he was planning to stay in Slidell. They are not showing Slidell much on the news, but it is under 12+ feet of water in many places. There is no power, phones, cell coverage, drinkable water or food. I -really- hope he left in time, slidell is done for.

Even worse is the fact that less than 70 miles away, N.O. is turning into a war zone. All the "human" scum who stayed there to loot are running rampant. I have been listening to the scanner all day, and apparently a cop was shot by a looter down there today. There were reports of a large gang of 100 or so people stealing limos and trucks and filling them up with stolen guns, food, jewelry, etc. Now the LSP is sending in tanks and troops along with the NG. Freakin unbelievable.

There was even looting in Baton Rouge today, I heard downtown and east br both had people stealing valuables and breaking into grocery stores. I think they KNOW better than to try breaking into residences though.

Edit: Gabe (wigenouts30) asked me to tell you guys he's ok. His area of Mobile is pretty unscathed, just power out in some areas.

I am in Mobile and Ok.. My house is ok as well as my Z. We here really dodged another bullit. It is crazy here but NOTHING like it is over in MS and LA. Please Keep Peter Allnet and his MOM in your prayers.. His mom manages a Laquinta INN in New Orleans East.. she had to work.. I hope she is ok.. I have no power but I do at work.. So here I am..

They are being shot and killed by looters. We have lots more carjackings and muggings and shootings in BR in the last 2 days as well. F'ing ANIMALS.

I have an update - on NOLA.com there is a forum you can search for areas of slidell. They say Pete's neighborhood did not flood, which is awesome. I am still worried he will not have safe water or food for very long though. There is definitely no power or phones down there.

I would say if you have anything to donate to the Salvation Army, Goodwill, or any other service I would do that now. I took down around 100lbs of clothing to Goodwill. They almost couldn't accept anything for the rest of the day, because they were so full. I bet Red Cross could really use some monatary donations to cover the cost of the food and water they are giving out.

I would say if you have anything to donate to the Salvation Army, Goodwill, or any other service I would do that now. I took down around 100lbs of clothing to Goodwill. They almost couldn't accept anything for the rest of the day, because they were so full. I bet Red Cross could really use some monatary donations to cover the cost of the food and water they are giving out.

I gave blood last night and the turn out was unreal. We were there for about three hours all in all. But all things considered what is three hours of my time.

I am in Mobile and Ok.. My house is ok as well as my Z. We here really dodged another bullit. It is crazy here but NOTHING like it is over in MS and LA. Please Keep Peter Allnet and his MOM in your prayers.. His mom manages a Laquinta INN in New Orleans East.. she had to work.. I hope she is ok.. I have no power but I do at work.. So here I am..

Gabe, good to see you are ok man. Do you know Evil Inside (Chris) over in Gautier?

http://www.got-z.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=17518

http://www.got-z.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=17493

So far we have raised almost $800 for him. I think hybridZ should do the same for its members devastated by this hurricane.

Gabe' date=' good to see you are ok man. Do you know Evil Inside (Chris) over in Gautier?

http://www.got-z.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=17518

http://www.got-z.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=17493

So far we have raised almost $800 for him. I think hybridZ should do the same for its members devastated by this hurricane.[/quote']

I talked to chris last night. He and his wife are ok. They made it to Dallas. I am not sure about there house or all of there belongings.

Many of the stories are a mix of sadness and frustration to me. Stories of people crawling into the attic as the water rises into the house. I feel so sorry for them, likely they were scared out of their wits, but crawling into an enclosed overhead space while the water rises below you..... such a bad move, hence my frustration. These bodies in the attics, are going to make cleanup helllish once the water is pumped out.

The looters, there has been some video on Fox News of cops dealing with them. One thing I noticed was the cops managing to keep their cool while dealing with those scum. There was some shotguns being pointed at the looters and some rough pushing, etc, but the cops were keeping their cool. I don't think I could. Also reported, some police "borrowed" a car off a car lot 'cause their cruiser flooded out. This was after they ran off some people trying to steal cars. There was a shoot out between the cops and bad guys.

The looter heading into a store to get food/water or a pair of shoes or something needed is ok in my book, but the fools pushing rafts with boxes of shoes and stereos, etc should just be shot on sight. People who take advantage of others during such a tragedy should be given no quarter. They are evil. What do they think they're going with the stuff anyway, the damn city is dead.

Govenor declared Marshall law on N.O. today. Giving them the authority to do whatever it takes to regain control of the city. Very sad, they all sit there yelling to be rescued, when if they just started walking, they'd have been out of harms way already. I mean I feel sorry for them, but then again, you have to helpyourself first in my opinion.

-Ed

The admins have been discussing "WHAT" to do to contribute in a way that will benefit those in need. Our biggest concern is to make sure we don't just hand money over to the American Red Cross and not help specific members of our site. Not that we don't want to help "in general". Most of us have already donated money to the organizations.

I'll be on vacation in North Carolina all next week, and not sure if I have internet access or not. However, Dan is on top of this and will set something up for those who want to contribute.

Mike