HybridZ

Hey drift Z guys

240ZR

I believe they just stopped making new bugs in mexico, but i'm not totally sure, i think they finished with something called the millenium edition in 2000. You could sure as heck find one used though.

and i'f you're interested i've got a 56 oval ragtop shell, they're rare as hell, but it's been crashed into, i've got a replace ment door and quarter panel, and the a replacement front clip was crappily welded on there, i was gonna do one of those fenderless hot-rod bugs when my z is done, and that elimintes the front half of the front clip anyways, they do go for big bucks once they're restored though... pm me if you're still interested.

And I'm pretty sure a lot of us aren't sure where YOU are from... You stated in your remarks above that the VW in question was an early 70s car. Then you comment here hammering Savageskater because he clarified FOR YOU the rules as he thinks they are, trying to help you... Buying a new bug, and labeling it as a 72 sounds rather hinky, and I'm quite certain most of us not close to the Mexican border OR into bugs would even know that you can drive down and pick up a brand new 72 bug. Honestly I doubt this is even remotely true...

Read your PM 240ZR... :roll:

Mike

I dont know where in the world you are from, but out here THEY STILL MAKEType 1 Bugs:twak: I can Cross the Border to Mexico and buy a BRAND NEW Transaxel RWD 2004-2005 VW Beetle with a 1600CC and 98 horse....... and then vin swap :twisted: or say like a 72 or 73 not have to smog it, and have a sweet brand NEW bug XD...:shock:

If i were a drifter, i would steer clear of 240sx's, 200sx's, truenos, etc b/c everyone uses them for drift after they saw initial d :S

Also maybe I am strange or don't know alot but can't fwd cars be made to drift fine as well? Or is that impossible? It should be able to.... unless we are talking about power slides not drifts.

Im not a fan of the bug personally, so how about an FB? :)

sorry if that was scattered

I'll break this down for you.

Here are some basic principals of drift (all of wich can be combined with others for seemless drifting)

Acceleratided drifting: At exit a healthy puch can cause this. Up shifting on entry can cause it too (very popular)

Deccerated drifting: Down shifting so the pull of the engine actually causes the tired to slide in the oposite direction in relation to the road. You can also kinda classify e-brake work in this class

Inertia drifting: Turning to the outside before hamering the inside clipping point will cause ANY car to get sideways.

Dynamic drifting: Either usinging light brakes or lifting off the trottle when coming in hot in a turn can get you sideways.

A FWD car can't perform many of these at all, making it extremelly hard to drift in competition. If you end up loosing too much speed midturn you can't correct with throttle to keep the back end out next to you. You just loose your drift. A FWD car can drift turns as long as there is enough time to gather the speed required. A FWD can ONLY perform high speed drifting. A RWD car can get sideways at any speed with enough power.

Does any of this make sense?

FB is a good drift car too.

I'm still waiting for more american cars to get into drifting. No offence to the japanese, but they think american cars only go straight. We need to show them there are american cars with potential to do everything from drag to autox to drift. (one of the top cars on the D1 circut is a 05 stang ;) )

FB is a good drift car too.

I'm still waiting for more american cars to get into drifting. No offence to the japanese' date=' but they think american cars only go straight. We need to show them there are american cars with potential to do everything from drag to autox to drift. (one of the top cars on the D1 circut is a 05 stang ;) )[/quote']

Well i can't wait for the stang to get an irs :)

I owned a 1958 Kharmann Ghia when I was in highschool that had a warmed over engine, put out somewhere around 90hp. The problem with these for drifting is they tend to go into snap oversteer which they then don't have enough engine to recover from and remain in a slide. You either go all the way round or if you get out of the throttle the rearend hooks and you loose the slide. I had this happen to me several times as I tried to run a canyon that follows the Spokane River through the Spokane River park. I wasn't trying to drift as this was back in the early 80s and drifting hadn't even been invented yet, I was trying to run the canyon as fast as I could. You could drop some serious money into an air cooled VW engine to produce enough reliable HP but even then it would take a very talented driver to do it right in an old Bug or Kharmann Ghia.

As for buying a Mexican bug and re-VINning it as a 72, well I guess we'll be visiting you in prison when you get caught.

Wheelman

• 3 months later...

If you want to build a drift beetle, I think that would be sweet. One thing to keep in mind is that you are going to need MAJOR front end work to keep it going where you want it. I've heard lots of stories about fast bugs getting very unruly when you try and slow them down or turn them. My boss has a 64 that he built that pumped out 260 HP at the crank when he built it in high school and over 400 when he turboed it six years later. I've seen the dyno sheets. From what I understand, it's a bit of a legend at Bugformance in Sacramento.

He says that he probably has about $4000 into the motor. Yeah, his carbs aren't available any more, and he did all the head work on his homemade flow bench, but the extra 20 HP you're looking for is not that hard to find.

Also, I don't meant to be a dick, but it's not possible to go to Mexico and get a brand new type one Beetle. Volkswagen stopped producing them in 1985 and they stopped Mexican production on July 30th, 2003. With a little looking, you can find the proof on the web.

• 4 weeks later...

Swing axle VW's have an issue that need to be considered if you're thinking of drifting one. You will need to run a camber stop to prevent a rear wheel from folding inward during extreme driving.

You would probably have to do alot of work to the pan to get it strong enough to handle what you'll put it through while drifting. Any baja cage should give you sufficient strength and keep you a tad safe as well.

BTW... I own a '67

if theres any drift z guys www.outbrakemotorsports.com

im putting together a formula d s30' date=' should be shaken down real soon, trying to hit teh new jersey qualifier in a few months.. but ive been developing alot of things for drifting s30s..

the z drifts like a champ and its funny the looks you get when you drift teh nads off a classic.....[/quote']

Yeah, but we don't all live in Ohio and you wont show us any pictures. :icon45:

• 4 months later...
yeah' date=' ill get some up soon, i lost the digi camera software rendering my camera powerless...lol

ill have a friend take pics, its not too impressive on blocks in primer spots..[/quote']

If you have windows XP, there should be a scanner and camera wizard in your start menu that will allow you to get into your camera and download pics. Or go to My Computer with the camera plugged in, and open up "portable drive e:", then just drag and drop the photos onto your hard drive.

Just trying to be helpful. Because you've been stalling for so long.

really....? just wondering why is that, sorry if its a newb question?

since it's been revived

since posting my previous post in this thread i've seen a few videos of FF drifting. It's neat and all but they really can't stay sideways as long as FR cars. if you can find the falken civic hatch drift video you might be as surprised as I was at how far the guy was slingin it sideways!