HybridZ

Cleaned Up l28 manifold, pallnet rail, throttle cable...

240hoke

Hey guys, Just finished cleaning up my intake manifold and powdercoating it. ANyway it was a job, RE-powdering something is a pain having to strip everything off, i think i have 10 hours in juat the stripping and recoating.

Its an n42 manifold out out a 78 280, non egr. I shaved all the mounting bosses off of the manifold I didnt need, including the throttle linkage towers. I then welded two tabs on the side of the intake manifold for my throttle cable. I got a 24" lokar throttle cable from jeg's, they are cheap and and can be cut down to the exact right size. Powercoated it with wrinkle black (eastwood). With the throttle cable i am eliminating the spacer and cleaning up the manifold.

Oh also the rail is made by Pallnet, it is a 11mm o-ring rail and I am using 550cc injectors. I did make my own mounts for it that use the manifold mounting bolts.

The wiring you can see in the pictures is painless and SDS, those are all the wires that will be in my engine compartment. Working on getting them all laided out now.

Anyway, just though I would share. My engine is coming together and I hope I can have it running in the next week. Anyway ill throw up some more updates then.

Picture_060.sized.jpg

Picture_062.sized.jpg

Picture_064.sized.jpg

Picture_070.sized.jpg

-Austin

• Administrators

Looks VERY Nice. Gorgeous car you have there. I personally LOVE the looks of the cleaned up early ’75-’76 Federal intake manifolds. I’ve cleaned up quite a few of them myself. Currently have one on my road race car getting SDS EFI, (the lower picture), and just finished the intake in the upper picture for my best friends car. This particular 240, pictured here in my shop, is powered by a mostly stock L-28ET, yet the chassis is in the middle of a major transformation. This intake ended up as one of my nicest versions yet, top and sides are smooth and transition nicely into the organically shaped runners. I did leave the OE throttle shaft towers per my friend’s request, though they sure do look real nice without them. This intake is getting the Turbo Black ceramic coating, currently just bead blasted ready for the ceramic coating., (the Turbo exhaust manifold is already Turbo Black, The T3/4 hybrid Turbo is already coated with the exhaust housing in black and the intake housing in satin aluminum). As for the intake itself, I machined all the bosses and filled in all the holes, also modified the OE ZX throttle valve while I was at it including profiling the throttle shaft.

DSC_4746Large.jpg

Pearls.jpg

• Administrators

Yes and no. I can’t really divulge the details as it is supposed to be a secret project. I’m sure a lot of you old timers know who he is and that it is not unusual for him to perform extreme make overs on Datsuns. A couple of you have been to my shop and seen this car, so remember, hush hush…

As of tonight, he is actually contemplating putting this Z project on the back burner in favor a first gen BMW M-3 that he made an offer on. He has lusted after those cars for some time and another of our good friends, Anders, in Eugene Oregon, has a VERY nice VERY competitive example.

Good night fellas,

• Administrators

Yes it does, Shifter had been modified and has a SERIOUS dog leg in it. Considered a possible linkage set up, he isn’t sure yet. He says he might try it with the dog leg in it initially. It more or less moves up and down for the 1-2, and 3-4 shift, but doesn’t feel to abnormal. We’ll see, and that if he even completes the project now as this M-3 has taken front and center stage…

Thanks for the compliments guys, she might be running this weekend Ill share some updates.

Anyway Braap that manifold is impressive, nice work. Truly alot of time to get the manifold that smooth. I dunno what that guy is tryingto accomplish with the engine relocation but it looks crazy! Neat stuff.

-Austin

looks beautiful Austin! And yes, stripping pc is a bitch! I'm redoing a set of 300zx brakes that I didn't pack well enough before shipping, and its been 3 days already and still not quite finished stripping them. kleen strip professional sprayable stripper from home depot seems to work the best at initially softening it up.