HybridZ

EVO or STI?

naplesZ

I was just wondering what everyone opinion were on the two. I am kinda car shopping and noticed that the used 05 EVO's are about 6K more than the STI. I know in most of the comparisons the evo usually wins but it seems to me that is only when the evo is driven at 10/10 of it capability. Which is fine for the track but I don't see it being pushed that hard on the streets or at least it shouldn't be. Is the whole awd thing overblown? I guess what I am asking is the alleged superiority of awd cars based on their ability at the limit? Also which would do better down a curvey mountain road ? The two above mention cars are a equally setup bmw 3 series?

I've been asking myself the same question over the past few months. I've drivien both and personally like the STi better. I think the EVO has an edge in the looks department but I've always been a fan of the sound of the boxer and the STi seems "easier" to drive.

You have to be careful with researching these two, because the hype surrounding both is so big that misinformation is everywhere. I think the Subaru was the better car in 2003-2004. In 2005 Mitsu supposedly addressed some of the transmission/ clutch issues to cure some of the warranty claim problems, making it a better package. Depending on who you talk to, the EVO is a better package because it is a little more stoute out of the box and better platform for modifications. Just beware that Mitsu is activily seaking to catch people using evos at the track so they can void warranties... This campaign is still ongoing and Mitsu/ Daimler want to avoid any warranties they can when it can be disputed that the car has been abused.

I'm obviously biased in this next comment, but I'll throw it out since Bastaad was caught a bit off guard after I suggested this same thing in another thread (After he bought his Neon SRT)... Have you thought about what other cars you might be able to buy used in that price range? Your insurance will be about the same on a New mustang, a used Corvette, used M3 BMW, VW RS32TT, and any host of other sports cars in the used market. There are so many choices out there right now for truly amazing sports cars that your options could easily overwhelm you.

Good luck! :2thumbs:

Mike :cool:

the EVO has been proven to be quicker than the STi on tracks and shoot out's.

to me.. the Subaru has the reliability, better looks, much NICER interior, better sounding engine and nicer wheels.

Now seriously... you will never be head to head with an EVO on a track so it doesn't really matter... the Subaru is a HELL of alot quicker than other cars out there.. so don't sweat it.

If you want your Subi to be faster than an EVO a few mods such as intake and exhuast will easily beat a stock EVO.

I say .. GO SUBI!

I've driven the Subaru and was really impressed. I really liked it, although I don't think it handled terribly well. I don't think either handles really good from the factory for that matter. I'm SURE I wouldn't be leaving either one stock.

So one way of looking at it is this: If you bought the Subaru and put that extra $6K into mods, where would you be? Something tells me you'd be spanking some Evo butt, unless you bought some $6K spinner rims. :wink:

The reason they dont quite feel like they handle great is because from the factory they have quite a bit of body roll. So they feel like they may be too soft, but the numbers dont lie.

As for AWD, does 1.6-1.7 60 foots on street tires seem fun? I sure feels bad *** in my 95 Talon..

Both cars are extremely capable in auto-x and road racing, but the Iron block of the Evo will take much more abuse than the aluminum block in the STi.

Hehe, one more note. The ricy wing on the evo is functional while the ricy wing on the STi is just dead weight.

-Dallas J

...The ricy wing on the evo is functional while the ricy wing on the STi is just dead weight.

Where did you hear this? My understanding is that Subaru went to great lengths to ensure that the wing was functional and not just 'boy racer' cladding.

sti wing is functional. they even added that ugly roof wing on the '06 to make it work even better, function over form for subaru.

I'd say go STI. I've always liked them better than the Evo, although i think the evo grabbed the lead in the looks department as of late. '05 Sti's are sexy though. just upgrade the swaybars,the endlinks[the stock ones are plastic!], and strut tower bars. they say the sti has a slight understeer from the factory[thats why the evo always wins those shootouts]

You can do a few mods to up the hp... check out http://www.wrxtuners.com/tech.php

it's also always one of consumer reports best buys, and recieves high marks for it's reliability.

my opinion is mitsu doesnt have the quality of the suby.i used to own a shop that worked on jap cars.so what if its a little faster-it doesnt do any good if your making payments on it and its sitting in the driveway with a broken trans.i would be looking at a used 2003-04 z06 vette.it weighs about the same as a subaru-has torque on tap and probably gets about the same mpg on the highway.i find the high rpm drone of a 4 banger tiring on a long trip.

When i went to the autoshow, I liked the feel of the VIII MR's interior, clutch, and shifter much better then the STI. I didn't drive either obviously. I found the design off the evo tasteful and I did find the STI wing offensive to the eyes. Also, if you are looking at the newer cars, don't buy the horse collar, it is hideous imho. As far as performance I think they are about even. Reliability, i hear many things back and forth, but alot of wrx people have been complaining about needing turbo timers because the turbos have oil issues. On the other hand some evo's have the tranny issue. I think it is a toss up between the two, but the evo has a slight edge. The evo is lighter.

Evo stock drivetrain rocks. Just for example one of our customers does HARDCORE drag racing (650awhp gt35r@36psi) and he has only broken one stock axle in whole full season on 555r drag radials and only reason that broke is because track was so sticky (Route66 in Joliet) that when i came to push car on side me shoes keept folling of my feet because they sprayed so much of vht like that stuff was going out of style lol. Another car that we are about to be done has everything that our race car has so when it hits dyno next week we expect about 750awhp and all this on BONE stock tranny and for sure we wont be first ones with that much power on stock one. I would take evo over sti anyday granted that i work at evo shop and have zero experience with sti lol.

Ivan

Evo stock drivetrain rocks. Just for example one of our customers does HARDCORE drag racing (650awhp gt35r@36psi) and he has only broken one stock axle in whole full season on 555r drag radials and only reason that broke is because track was so sticky (Route66 in Joliet) that when i came to push car on side me shoes keept folling of my feet because they sprayed so much of vht like that stuff was going out of style lol. Another car that we are about to be done has everything that our race car has so when it hits dyno next week we expect about 750awhp and all this on BONE stock tranny and for sure we wont be first ones with that much power on stock one. I would take evo over sti anyday granted that i work at evo shop and have zero experience with sti lol.

Just don't turn it, right? Isn't that the reason Mitsu is denying warranty claims, because they starve for oil in turns?

Jon,

Honestly i dont know much about road racing but we do have quite few customers that use their evos for it and i have not heard of them having problems (if they did they would come through the shop). Only thing that they pay close attention is to fluids that they use in tranny and transfer case and try to change them often. When my boss took shop car to one lap of america (i am sure you know how tuff that race is on car). With all the racing and traveling (three guys + trailor) I belive that they put like 3k milles in whole trip only thing that suffered from whole trip was head gasket because boost controler solenoid failed on long straightaway and car was running at 40+psi and even afther repairs (at the track of course) car did not run the same again. In the end they still took seventh overall but as I said i would not be the guy to talk to when it comes to road racing because shop that i work specializes in drag racing.

ps. About two issues ago in Sport Compact Car one of our customers took second overall in Ultimate Street Car Challenge. Car had our turbo kit, I/C, stroker motor and it was tuned by my boss. Only thing that suffered (drivetrain wise lol) in whole challenge was transfer case (8k two step clutch dump). If you look through past few issues you can read whole write up on it plus the same car made the cover about three months ago.

Ivan