HybridZ

Mustang in Japan...not a V-8 under the hood

S30TRBO

I have come to the conclusion that it is cool. In my opinion pointless, but for someone else it is the ultimate swap. The problem that still remains is the whole Fast and the Furious thing. They totally just put this engine to appeal to a certain crowd and reinforce their ideals and upset another. I don't think the builder acctually looked at it from a "what can I do to make this car really cool" stand point. I think a group of 10 people probably decided on "how can reinforce the image of the skyline AGAIN, because that is what our demographic wants to see". Can't blame them though, they are just appealing to their viewers. I just don't want to hear import guys bringing it up next time anything is said about domestic cars.

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Not to be the devils advocate, but think you guys are to emotionally involved in this, a mustang especially a fastback is an American Icon, and they mutilated it with some jap engine….!!

I don't like it, but I'm not of the same opinion as above. If they where to have dropped in a HighTech Jap V8 makeing all kinds of sick power. I would have loved it. Maybe an old F1 V8 with a 15K red line. Hummmmm!:b_hand:

If they where to have dropped in a HighTech Jap V8 makeing all kinds of sick power. I would have loved it.

*sigh* Come on, Ed... it's not like they pulled some HiPo 700hp V-8 motor out of the car and replaced it with a 600hp RB. Swallow the damn blue pill allready! :D

I think a group of 10 people probably decided on "how can reinforce the image of the skyline AGAIN, because that is what our demographic wants to see". Can't blame them though, they are just appealing to their viewers. I just don't want to hear import guys bringing it up next time anything is said about domestic cars.

I find this funny. Because this is exactly how all the domestic guys are looking at this. That doing this is an attack on America. That this swap is somehow a slap in the face. You would almost think from the way people are acting that the Japanese Government themselves are behind a secret conspiracy to insult America. Everyone here, whether they care to admit it or not, knows deep inside that the real insult here is not in the RB being installed into the Mustang, it's that this poor RB26 has to be surrounded by a POS car now. I mean, who did that motor piss off to be burdened with such a sentence? I'm sure that somewhere in International Law there has to be a regulation against such cruel and unusual punishment. Just picture how happy that RB was. Sitting confortably inside of one of the most technology laden vehicles ever produced. Revving to 8k, taking turns a 1.0g, launching at 7k. Then it is ripped from this automotive paradise and placed under the hood of THAT. It..... just........ brings a tear to my eye. And who nows how long it will be incarcerated. I hope it's not a life sentence. Maybe we should petition the Governor. Let's all chant; "FREE THE RB" "FREE THE RB". I'm going to write my congressman now.

Brian

I find this funny. Because this is exactly how all the domestic guys are looking at this. That doing this is an attack on America. That this swap is somehow a slap in the face. You would almost think from the way people are acting that the Japanese Government themselves are behind a secret conspiracy to insult America. Everyone here' date=' whether they care to admit it or not, knows deep inside that the real insult here is not in the RB being installed into the Mustang, it's that this poor RB26 has to be surrounded by a POS car now. I mean, who did that motor piss off to be burdened with such a sentence? I'm sure that somewhere in International Law there has to be a regulation against such cruel and unusual punishment. Just picture how happy that RB was. Sitting confortably inside of one of the most technology laden vehicles ever produced. Revving to 8k, taking turns a 1.0g, launching at 7k. Then it is ripped from this automotive paradise and placed under the hood of THAT. It..... just........ brings a tear to my eye. And who nows how long it will be incarcerated. I hope it's not a life sentence. Maybe we should petition the Governor. Let's all chant; "FREE THE RB" "FREE THE RB". I'm going to write my congressman now.

Brian[/quote']

best post ever!!!!

free the rb!!!!

mike

I find this funny. Because this is exactly how all the domestic guys are looking at this. That doing this is an attack on America. That this swap is somehow a slap in the face. You would almost think from the way people are acting that the Japanese Government themselves are behind a secret conspiracy to insult America. Everyone here' date=' whether they care to admit it or not, knows deep inside that the real insult here is not in the RB being installed into the Mustang, it's that this poor RB26 has to be surrounded by a POS car now. I mean, who did that motor piss off to be burdened with such a sentence? I'm sure that somewhere in International Law there has to be a regulation against such cruel and unusual punishment. Just picture how happy that RB was. Sitting confortably inside of one of the most technology laden vehicles ever produced. Revving to 8k, taking turns a 1.0g, launching at 7k. Then it is ripped from this automotive paradise and placed under the hood of THAT. It..... just........ brings a tear to my eye. And who nows how long it will be incarcerated. I hope it's not a life sentence. Maybe we should petition the Governor. Let's all chant; "FREE THE RB" "FREE THE RB". I'm going to write my congressman now.

Brian[/quote']

I bet you if we called up Arnold... he would use his international movie skills to help us...

Swallow the damn blue pill allready! :D

But I don't want to go down the Rabbit Hole. LOL:-D

Lets not flip this around an call the Mustang a POS. My S30 doesn't have much more technology in it than the Stang has. Would you say that dropping an RB into my car is a life sentence for that motor.

I'm just saying that a Stang needs a V8. I'm not a huge fan of dropping cylinder in an engine swap. But to each his own. I could never drop in a 4cyl into my S30. And I don't thing a car that should have a V8, should have a 6cyl in it.

I can see what your saying there about" reducing the number of cylinders".

Its almost a bragging rights thing. I mean to upsize is always a conversation getter....whereas going smaller displacement raises the eybrow for most.

In fact I could have seen that a Titan V-8 might have been a more "NEW" approach that could have even been a bigger media swirl for their marketing efforts.And MIGHT have even recieved Domestic praises IF it was faster and exciting to hear open pipes roar from it.

But ,ALAS...........its just for the F&F III for crying out loud.

In fact.....I'm pretty sure if I ever went to the dark side ( V-8).. in a S30 I'd go for the Titan engine w/twin spoolers and dual exhaust and a parachute !

Boo yah !!

..............Vinny 8)

But I don't want to go down the Rabbit Hole. LOL:D

Lets not flip this around an call the Mustang a POS. My S30 doesn't have much more technology in it than the Stang has. Would you say that dropping an RB into my car is a life sentence for that motor.

I'm just saying that a Stang needs a V8. I'm not a huge fan of dropping cylinder in an engine swap. But to each his own. I could never drop in a 4cyl into my S30. And I don't thing a car that should have a V8' date=' should have a 6cyl in it.[/quote']I hope your not doing this on purpose, but now you're going to incite all the SR20 guys. I think you've managed to get to just about everyone so far...maybe you should say something bad about a rotary engine swap to make sure you cover them as well.

:beatdeadh

P.S. - This thread will never die.

Brian[/quote']

If you are refering to me as a domestic guy, you are dead wrong. An atack on America, please, I just think it is stupid and a V8 would be better. Especially a titan V8. I don't think it is an insult that the rb is surrounded by a mustang now, I just think it is a swap whose only purpose was to get the small displacement crowd clapping for the next FF3. I don't like mustangs in general, but I wouldn't call it a piece of ****. I think that is just rude to say, I find it unkind when people go around insulting any car that is obviously appreciated by certain posters in the thread. I think you believe that this swap is more of a slap in the face than anyone else who has posted thus far "ripped from this automotive paradise and placed under the hood of THAT". I agree with some of the things you are saying, but I think you got a little blunt with your words and spewing of certain opinions. Sorry you feel that the skyline is such an automotive paradise and the mustang is such a piece of ****, personally I happen to appreciate the early mustangs and the R34's they are different thats all. Just felt this transfusion has alterior motives, not just to make a good, fun, or fast car.

From the other thread' date=' someone posted a spy video of the stang in action. Turn up the audio and you'll hear the sound of a V8 rumble.

:icon52:[/quote']

Yeah that does not sound like a RB, more like a V8. So they did use a V-8 mustang in the movie....not a RB correct?

If you are refering to me as a domestic guy, you are dead wrong. An atack on America, please, I just think it is stupid and a V8 would be better. Especially a titan V8. I don't think it is an insult that the rb is surrounded by a mustang now, I just think it is a swap whose only purpose was to get the small displacement crowd clapping for the next FF3. I don't like mustangs in general, but I wouldn't call it a piece of ****. I think that is just rude to say, I find it unkind when people go around insulting any car that is obviously appreciated by certain posters in the thread. I think you believe that this swap is more of a slap in the face than anyone else who has posted thus far "ripped from this automotive paradise and placed under the hood of THAT". I agree with some of the things you are saying, but I think you got a little blunt with your words and spewing of certain opinions. Sorry you feel that the skyline is such an automotive paradise and the mustang is such a piece of ****, personally I happen to appreciate the early mustangs and the R34's they are different thats all. Just felt this transfusion has alterior motives, not just to make a good, fun, or fast car.

This is where I look around and just shrug. Do you actually believe any of my last comments to be serious? Did you really think I was going to write my congressman too? It was a joke. It was done as a spoof on this whole situation. I am amazed that you thought I was at all referring to reality here. I think this subject has gone too far and people have now taken too much of a personal interest in it. I think we have all had our say and now we are just bantering back and forth. I wanted to make people a little less jaded on thi situation with a little levity. But apparently even that hit a sore spot. Lighten up here. It is called irony. I turned the argument around to show just how dumb we are all being about a car none of us have any stake in. So please, ease up a bit here.

Brian

I hope your not doing this on purpose, but now you're going to incite all the SR20 guys. I think you've managed to get to just about everyone so far...maybe you should say something bad about a rotary engine swap to make sure you cover them as well.

Oh yeh, and who would want to drop a rotary in their car.:P

OK just kidding, don't flame me to hard.

I'm just saying that going down in cylinder count is not IMO would should be done. IMO a great swap is something that shows great inginuity, and enhances the car. Dropping a few cyl does not enhance a car. I don't car if it makes 1000Hp with a 700 shot of nitros. The rotary is a whole different animal. When ever you think of an exotic sports car do you say, "Damn I wish it where a 4cyl"???????? I don't think so.:bonk:

One more thing I think that this subject has been :beatdeadh.

Same on this one. The 6's in the stangs suck, and the corvette beofre the v8 sucked. The rb26 is a terrific engine, but if you wanna get picky, it is turbo and it has a high cg, and it certaintly is not light. The ford 302 is probably lighter, has a more better cg, keeps the weight back, and is N/A so plenty of response. Same goes for the 351 cept, it probably isn't lighter. I feel that the ultimate goal in a swap is to make the car better. Going from 8->6 cylinders isn't necessarily bad, but it certaintly isn't better. The handling is not better b/c the 6 is farther forward, has a higher cg, and is probably heavier then the 302. The response is dimished b/c the 6 is turbo and the 8 was N/A. The powerband is personal preference, but I always like relatively low in a heavy car like the stang. The only thing that is better imho would be the power (if comparing to a 5.0) or the potential to make power (if comparing to a 351, and even so, a 351 will put out alot of power, the rb probably bests it though). So while I think alot of people are looking at this with a "double standard" kind of viewpoint, I think my reasons are pretty much justified, opinions?

The 260, 289, 302, and 351 are the same block. They're damn near bullet proof too. My brother threw a rod at 5000 RPM, and it didn't pierce the block. Take a 289, add 20 years of technology and out came the 5.0.

Personaly, I don't think anyone can complain since I see people swaping Chevy and Ford engines into Nissan's and Toyota's, which i'm sure the Japanese aren't too fond of. Hypacritical.

The 260' date=' 289, 302, and 351 are the same block. They're damn near bullet proof too. My brother threw a rod at 5000 RPM, and it didn't pierce the block. Take a 289, add 20 years of technology and out came the 5.0.

Personaly, I don't think anyone can complain since I see people swaping Chevy and Ford engines into Nissan's and Toyota's, which i'm sure the Japanese aren't too fond of. Hypacritical.[/quote']

Yes, but I believe the 351's came stock with significantly more reinforcement on the bottom end, which is why they weigh about 80lbs more. Also the deckheight increase adds weight I guess.