HybridZ

Now you guys have me thinking...

#2. This is HybridZ and we DO NOT take lightly the whole "purist" view on ANY zcar.

It's not really a purist view. Hundreds of thousands of people want and scrape to try to get a good condition twin turbo. Capitalize on it. With a new motor in it you can pull $10-15k. Therefore, by getting only $10k:

Donor non-turbo shell, 4.08 rear end, no HICAS, etc: -$2000

Wrecked donor car: -$4000

Part out old motor/transmission: +$300-800

New driveshaft/gauges/etc: -$1000

Granted you get most all of your parts from the donor, you will have ~$3500 to spend on suspension, upgrades, or paint. You're going to miss the chance to make money and further your project, that's all. If you don't care, no one else does, either. I'm currently knee deep in this swap, just trying to provide some insight.

• Replies 49
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yeah, I've seen your posts early on, looks like you're pretty far along?

$10K for the car with a new (used) motor? I guess that's possible since it's clean enough. And I DID want a 2+2 slick top from the beginning....damnit now I'm confused again! :-)

Don't debate with yourself, if you want to keep yours then keep it. I had a lot of electrical gremlins from my previous Z that were my own fault that I got too fed up with to want to repair so I sold it. Just trying to show the other side of the fence. People want what you have, so consider taking advantage of it.

On a side note, they only made the slicktops in 2+0s. :( It was the base of the bases, and it took me about 6 months to find a clean one. I owned a 2+2 before this one and I enjoyed it, but that's when I needed the space.

Whatever you choose, stick it out until the end!

I hear ya!

I just stepped away and what you said about getting another Z makes sense. However, time is my biggest enemy, I don't have any of it! And if I can't do this swap right away, it'll end up sitting half-assed in the driveway. Since my '73 money pit is sitting in the garage :-(

No, I'm gonna keep this sucker running til it's non-repairable, get a JDM and run that til it dies or someone wants to pay good money for the car. The V8 will have to wait. I can get a JDM engine/trans for around $1600 from friend's shop when the time comes.

Of course, a 1st RX-7 with a 13B and Master Power T70 will be very cheap and fast too! No no no...gotta stop!

Thanks again!

Owen

• 2 weeks later...

I am not telling you not to do it. I know where a 2+0 NA shell is RIGHT NOW for $1200. Everything but the engine.

I will be the first one to tell you "go LS(X)", because the VG30DETT IS so hard to work on and the vendors think all the parts are gold plated.... BUT, just be aware of all the things you will have to do to put domestic power in a Z32...

Mr. Kelly I am in no way a purist. That is why I am here.... :mrgreen:

Owen, just remember, the Z32TT's ARE rare, and they will continue to hold their value very well, in stock form.

Anyway, don't let folks on an internet forum sway you from what you really want to do. There are a few people who are horrified that I am going to hybridize such a nice, clean, and almost rust-free car as my orange '73 is...

Mike

Yea' date=' guys but I think two factors are seriously being overlooked...

#1. The TT motor is about to take acrap on Owen.

#2. This is HybridZ and we DO NOT take lightly the whole "purist" view on ANY zcar.

If the TT300ZX was as coveted as a last gen Supra, and was pulling $20K+ in resale, I would say "maybe you want to refresh the powerplant and sell it to move onto something else". But they don't. You can get them all day long for under $15K and I've seen good condition examples go for under $10K if you wait and shop for the right deal.

Owen, It isn't "that" rare. If the motor is on its last leg, time to punt or hybrid the thing. :2thumbs:

Again, We're HYBRIDZ. If he asked this on Zcar.com, I could see the cheerleaders coming out to defend keeping it stock. We aren't. We're HybridZ. :toetap05:

Them's the rules.

Mike[/quote']

YUP! What he said....gotta love it:burnout:

I think if you get the engine that came stock in a truck, you'll have an iron block. Generally, you want to try and get the engine out of an f-body (easier swap).

Of course, you could always put in a 472 caddy like grumpy's been talking about.:eek2:

Owen,

You threw out the possibility of a Ford earlier in the thread. I know that LS's are the schiznit here; but, the 4.6 Mustang motor should be VERY easy to find. Possibly cheaper. And Sean Hyland Motorsports seems to be able to get darn good hp figures out of them relatively easy. Granted, I'll be the first to say that the LS motor is probably the easiest build-up that's been done here based upon all of the successful builds; BUT, since they are so popular in the hotrodding world, you might find a 4.6 set-up (alternatively) CHEEEEEEP!??!

Good luck.

P.S. The jdm quick-change deal seems to be a sidestep that you will not easily recoup the $$. Poke your nose around the 4.6 sites out there.....

Yeah, I even thought about some 3.8L V6s in the parking log at work, but I guessed they were front wheel drive. If I'm desperate enough I suppose I could stand having a Ford motor:-)

BUT, I've seen many LS1+auto trans on ebay. I hate auto trans but I wonder if I could find a controller and make it into a paddle shift???

Go Rotery!!!!!!!!!!!!! lol j/k... F what others say... its your car... your time your money.... I know a guy who made his classic ford pick up a chevy 302.... and you know why? b/c it was his.... and he could care less what Ford or Chevy guys said......

Go Rotery!!!!!!!!!!!!! lol j/k... F what others say... its your car... your time your money.... I know a guy who made his classic ford pick up a chevy 302.... and you know why? b/c it was his.... and he could care less what Ford or Chevy guys said......

I thought about that, but I would have no torque. And I probably would have a hard time with smogging it.