HybridZ

Top Speed?

Guest Anonymous

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

1974 260Z with highly mod'ed 2.8L 6, ;large injectors, lots of port work on head, big cam, Electromotive ignition, big everything else - motorwise, and lots of suspension work, as well as rear wing, front spoiler, wider wheels and tires... Ran 168MPH @ 7200RPM verified with a Stalker radar gun.

Same car, same setup except for T56/ 383 stroker combo with carb, Turned 155mph (Electric Speedo shown) @ 3700+RPM. Car was super stable, very tractable, and had PLENTY more headroom, but not the aid of my LEO Friend and his radar gun (And open invitation to run wide open!) Only suspension change at that time was 1 1/8 inch sway bar up front and a fuel cell out back, as well as dual exhaust running 2.5 duals out the back!

Mike :D

• 1 month later...
Guest Anonymous

not trying to talk trash here, but some of the top speeds your hitting are low... no offence to anyone in particular. sorry to get off topic with the cars but...i wound my buddies 95 talon up to 150mph (235km to be exact or 146.875mp) on regular boost level (10-12 psi). that was in 5th @ like 6000rpm and that wasn't pushin it. well, id still like to hear what people have done, so good luck

2thumbs.gif

Guest timhypo

Umm, that's a 20 year younger car with a 5-speed and Gas-Guzzler-tax-era aerodynamics and gearing. I assume that's also indicated, factory speedos are known to be waaay off at high-speeds.

Guest nezzie76

You know I've been trying to figure out what my top speed is. What ever it is I've gotten it there before. I've gone at 6500rpm with a turbo 350 and R200. My speedo is off, so I'm kinda wondering how fast it really was. All I know is it wasn't gonna go any faster.

I have had my Z up to 140. This is on a long straight that no one ever goes on. I had a buddy pace in in his car. It was a newer prelude with bolt ones. Both of us were topped out..I have a 83 280zx with 5spd and 3.90 rear. Ram air striaght through exhaust suspension techs springs and tokico struts.It was to my suprise really stable at the speed.

man i love beating auction buckets.

i have no max speed, but ive done 100mph for at least an hour straight coming back from so. cal.

na zx 5 speed was turning about 3500 or so and i was pushing 11psi in od going WHOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOSH the entire time, it felt grrrrrrreat.

max speed ever in my v8z was 125 when i dared not push fourth gear any longer and the front end was shaking a lot.

sidenote-my turbo car at the time had stock suspension and at 100mph it felt stable as heck, its a 280. the 240 with completely rebuilt front suspension wobbled around crazily at 80mph?? i dont know....

Guest Anonymous

240 with a worked over straight-6 power plant, side draft Webbers, areo kit all the way around, BBS's and Yoko's and the whole package slamed to the ground....145+ and climbing according to the speedo. At those speeds I did not pay much attention to the speedo for very long. It would run at 120+ as long as there was road. It always felt like a rock glued to the road.

Funny how these questions reappear. I had mine with the Procharged V6 up to 5600rpm, .7 overdrive converter locked Corvette 700R4, 225 50 16 tires, and 3.55 rear gears. The math says well over 160. Felt pretty darn stable, no aero mods except a nose down attitude from shorter front tires. Engine was getting into some good boost and had LOTs of pull left. 7000rpm was good for 16+ psi. Which brings up the point, lots of these cars will probably go way faster than they should. Looking at the rpms and power output of a healthy 383 of Mike's car its easy to see well into the triple digits in a blink. Personally , maybe its age, though I'd prefer to call it maturity, I'm now believing the top end games need more than horsepower, but a well designed chassis, areodynamics, tires, brakes, and sanctioned location. I'd guess you're going to splatter just about as bad @90 as 200 in a Z if something does happen. I confess I had to do it...just to see. My tension rod came loose the next week due to a inept idiot who worked on installing my struts/springs a few weeks previous. It could have been ugly, my car was all over two lanes at 60 mph. Not to dampen the spirit of the post, just be careful.

John

Guest Fast Frog

In 1998, with the Paxton working half way decently, I reached a speedo indication of 170+ or - (buried the speedo needle past the stock 160mph speedo). The tach was bouncing around 4900/5000rpm. Doing the math with 24.8" tires, stock R200 rearend with 3.54 ratio, and a .63 5th spd gearing on the WCT-5 tranny; I calculated an honest 160+/-. At 150-155mph the car felt fairly stable and handled rather well. But at 160 it started lift in the front and I could feel pockets of air moving the car irradically. For that kind of speed, more attention is needed to underneath aerodynamics. I'm not inclined to want to do a repeat performance! 150+mph is plenty fast to whip most of the wanabes out on the road. eek2.gifmalebitchslap.gif

Well I might as well chime in here as well.. it is fun after all!

I've posted this a few times so pardon me if you've read this before..

I had mine up to 148mph@7400rpm in 5th using a math calculation involving rpm, tire dia, diff and tranny gears and probably something else i forgot.

I was racing a Ferrari 308, and not to toot my horn too loud.. I KICKED HIS ASS 7 TIMES IN A ROW! hehehe not too loud eh?

Draging from 80-100mph rolling starts... even once he got the jump on me, I went to 5th first then him.. it was all over..I started to pull and pass him pretty handily. eek2.gif

Out gunned by a Datsun.. probably sent it back to Italy for mods. hehehehe

Guy was cool.. gave me HUGE thumbs up!

BTW it was a 4.11 diff in my car!

Ran out of RPM. It still wanted to climb, but was taking way too long to wait and see.

I hope I never have a race like that again....Too fast...

flamedevil.gif

was that with or without the aeromods done to your car zr8ed?

i am curious as to why my 240z felt unstable after 80mph, with a completely rebuilt suspension, alignment, and 7" z rated low protires, while my 280, at the time with worn out suspension, bald tires, and ok alignment feels great at high speed?

im not wondering if it was the poly air dam(240) vs.

the fiberglass one maybe(280)?

the 240z was also lowered threee inches. 280 is at stock ride height.