HybridZ

The GTO has been disc.-again

Zerrari GTO

I heard on the news this morning that GM was discontinuing the GTO. I'm sorry to see it go but not surprised. It was expensive compared to it's main rival- the Mustang and the styling wasn't that great. It looked like a hopped up two door Grand Prix to me. If I was going to spend about 40K for an optioned out GTO I would want something a bit more distinctive.

Too bad...I hate to see a good source for LS series engines go!

pontiacgto.jpgAwe man. I usually hate the lower end high horsepower offerings from GM (Camaro, Firebird) not because of their exterior styling, but due to their tupperware interiors and cheap "feel".

$33,290 fully loaded, 6 speed with tax included. 400 horspower, 400lbs ft, good looking interior, awesome sound system, low 13s in the quarter. Fit and finish wise this car is seemingly great... but alas, its "bland styling" is why its not selling.

If I understand the history of the GTO correctly, Pontiac stuck a big engine in a boring coupe called the Tempest. Isn't that the point behind a muscle car? Horspower, performance? Isn't it the pony cars job to look good and appeal to high schoolers and secretaries alike?

Personally I like how low key it is. Then again I'd rather have an M3 over a Corvette for the same reason. GM had a good idea, but by eliminating the F bodies, and trying to "replace" it with a more upscale, low profile car, it just doesnt appeal to the same crowd.

Farewell to one of GMs greatest recent offerings.

05smoke.jpg

05.pontiac.gto.int.500.jpg

IMG_0912.jpg

...Farewell to one of GMs greatest recent offerings.

05smoke.jpg

I have to agree. I test drove one of the LS1 GTO's that made it to Able Chevrolet here in Rio when they first came out. What a kick, and a real sleeper. I must have spent an hour and a half doing mental gymnastics trying to justify why I needed to buy one and how I was going to pay for it. I gave up before I got to the "explaining it to the wife" exercize.

Cest la vie nouveau GTO.:-(

I never realised how much the Monaro (GTO) was 'softened' for the US market. Here is what they look like here in Aus... Link The only difference here (visually) is wheels and paint colour...

Edit : When I say 'difference', I mean between HSV's offering and the standard car. The body of the HSV version is the same as the Holden version.

I don't know, I have lots of mixed feelings about the GTO. As most know I'm a ford guy at heart so actually considering a GM to buy is challanging to say the least. But I think I do a good job of giving respect where it's do.

The GTO was a great drift car, very predictable and managable on the track. Plenty of power, and nice interior (expecially compared to the other pontiac stuff). Where did it fall? It's looks. Sure sleepers are cool but that thing wouldn't appeal to even secrataries. It looked like a early 90's flashback.

Look at what sells (aroud here at least) BMW 3 series, Mercedes, ect. Very new age angular boxes. There are few large round cars on the market that are selling well. Even for a mainstream car it needed alot more edge to it. Then for the muscle car crowd it needed even a step beyond that to sell.

What they really should have done is desinged a whole new look for it and had a lower HP version as a budget option then a sport version with 400+ HP with a much more agressive edge. We all know the evo sells tons of base lancers but the GTO can't sell itslef becuase you can't get into them for a cheep price.

Then again, most companies have a long way to go to really understand the concept of a halo car.

I might shed a tear for the poor GTO, because all it really needed was an artist's touch. Fairwell.

Is this really true? I thought that the assembly lines would be rolling at least through the completion of the 2006 model year.

BTW I heard that GM has suspended plans for all of its sub-luxury RWD platforms. This means that the 2008/2009 Camaro is dead, as is an entry-level RWD sedan. Chevy and Pontiac will continue to offer V8 FWD sedans, but Corvette and Cadillac will be the only RWD. The reason, evidently, is the usual one: GM decided to concentrate on trucks and SUVs, which monopolize the RWD production lines.

Regarding the aesthetics of the GTO – personally what I find among the most distasteful about modern cars is the garish exterior in anything with a claim towards performance. In my view, the GTO actually has too many scoops and swoops – rather than too few. One reason that I drive an older BMW is its demure styling. However, the GTO is far less obtrusive than the competitors, such as the Mustang, Subaru WRX, etc.

But the main problem with the GTO isn’t its styling; it’s the weight. 3800 lbs? It could really benefit from losing 300-400 lbs.

So maybe I’ll start talking myself into buying a new GTO, before they become defunct. One thing that I’ve learned from my adventures in tinkering with a V8 Z – some inspired, but most asinine – is that $30K for a turnkey 13.5-second car isn’t such a bad deal, especially if it has air conditioning and ungrudgingly starts on cold mornings. Not to change the subject of this thread too much – but it’s the indirect costs of doing a swap that matter most; tools, time, education, broken and incorrect parts. I “only†have about $15K in my Z, but vastly more than that in ancillary costs. In many regards I would have been money-ahead by buying a new, turnkey car.

Evidently next month GM will be having another of their sales-boosting but profit-compromising sales.

[Awe man. I usually hate the lower end high horsepower offerings from GM (Camaro' date= Firebird) not because of their exterior styling, but due to their tupperware interiors and cheap "feel".

$33,290 fully loaded, 6 speed with tax included. 400 horspower, 400lbs ft, good looking interior, awesome sound system, low 13s in the quarter. Fit and finish wise this car is seemingly great... but alas, its "bland styling" is why its not selling.

If I understand the history of the GTO correctly, Pontiac stuck a big engine in a boring coupe called the Tempest. Isn't that the point behind a muscle car? Horspower, performance? Isn't it the pony cars job to look good and appeal to high schoolers and secretaries alike?

Personally I like how low key it is. Then again I'd rather have an M3 over a Corvette for the same reason. GM had a good idea, but by eliminating the F bodies, and trying to "replace" it with a more upscale, low profile car, it just doesnt appeal to the same crowd.

Farewell to one of GMs greatest recent offerings.

[/quote]

I could not agree more.

I think the styling is great. It is not a factory-riced-out offering like the WRX STi or Mitsubishi EVO. It's not a boxy, rough-cut Cubic Zirconia like the Cadillac STS. It doesn't have the the mid-life crisis, racer-boy lines of a Corvette or Mustang. It is simple and tasteful, a performace car for an adult.

There are only 2 things I dislike about this car.

1. The gauge colors. A simple black on white or white on black option would have been nice.

2. Gas milage. But that's the price of 400 hp / 400 ft lbs.

(It's wieght could have be lower and the suspension a bit stiffer too)

It is sad to see any RWD car die, but this one in paticular. It reminds me of the death of the Impala SS.

Up yours GM!

Well if you ask me GM hasnt alwasy been the brightest bulb in the bunch when it comes to bringing back badge names of cars.

Remember back in the day, when they brought back these somewhat ICON cars and what they did to them.

1992PontiacLemans0404.jpg

The Pontiac LeMans

10520039555001030.jpg

The Chevy Nova

I mean sometimes it makes you wonder what they where thinking to go from these types of cars to the ones above when brought back in the late 80's.

1965%20Pontiac%20LeMans%20red%20Krumel%20=KD=.jpg

classic_nova.jpg

Well what is one to do though?

If they're design team would get they're head out of they're collective anus's maybe they wouldnt be losing out to Ford and Dodge.

That's just my thinking though.